• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Trainee Driver - Manchester (14/03/24)

Rebekah555

Hi everyone, it’s my first time applying to be a train driver. I’ve applied for Manchester with northern it says that you have to live within 45 minutes of the station but doesn’t specify which Manchester station does anybody know? It also says peak time travel does anyone know what time of day they check this with thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rebekah555

It's Victoria or Piccadilly. Peak time would be 9am/5pm. Just use google maps to give you an estimate.
Ok I assumed it would be one or the other, google is giving me a this answer for both roughly. Do you think I will be in contention or ruled out because of this?

Attachments

• IMG_6552.jpeg
    IMG_6552.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 85

LokiB

Yeah just put the application in.
If you're too far away you'll get the rejection pretty quickly as it's one of the 1st things they look at.
Good luck with it.

scrapy

Established Member
They will generally check off peak journey times as you will be unlikely to be travelling at peak time due to shift start and finish times.

Rebekah555

Not yet, these things can take a while. I applied for Avanti and have been waiting a year to take the assessments. o_O Northern usually move a bit quicker thankfully.
I must have missed the avanti job, just started looking though. What does your northern application say? Mines on under consideration but I just did it two days ago

They will generally check off peak journey times as you will be unlikely to be travelling at peak time due to shift start and finish times.
Yeah I was thinking the trains are most needed then, so surely I’ll already be at job if I’m lucky enough. Are you a driver?

Last edited:

nolypops83

I must have missed the avanti job, just started looking though. What does your northern application say? Mines on under consideration but I just did it two days ago

Yeah I was thinking the trains are most needed then, so surely I’ll already be at job if I’m lucky enough. Are you a driver?

Mine too. Application under consideration. Fingers crossed!

Rebekah555

I weren’t successful at interview stage for Liverpool Lime St last year. Internal application.
I’m not exactly sure if I live too far away or not but I know staff who live close by who drive at the Manchester depots. I’ll have to speak to recruitment to see if it’s my application that needs work or if I live too far away.
That’s such a shame, must be disappointing! I really hope you get some answers and an opportunity in the future

SiTheTrainGuy

Have you heard anything yet?
If you're anything like me and refreshing your portal every 5 minutes then this waiting part is the hardest bit.

I started this week as a trainee driver and that's just about 6 months on from my job application closing. I think for the railway that's a relatively quick turnaround. I have heard the process can take quite a while, sometimes years. Having said that, Northern have a massive recruitment drive on now so it's a good time to be applying.

Rebekah555

If you're anything like me and refreshing your portal every 5 minutes then this waiting part is the hardest bit.

I started this week as a trainee driver and that's just about 6 months on from my job application closing. I think for the railway that's a relatively quick turnaround. I have heard the process can take quite a while, sometimes years. Having said that, Northern have a massive recruitment drive on now so it's a good time to be applying.
I have checked about 6 times today for an update. Won’t look again now until Monday… maybe. Can I ask what you did before this job?

Last edited:

SiTheTrainGuy

I have checked about 6 times today for an update. Won’t look again now until Monday… maybe. Can I ask what you did because this job?
The job doesn't close till midnight tomorrow so you won't hear anything. I imagine the first you'll hear anything will be in a couple of weeks at the very earliest, something along the lines of 'we are screening your application'. Then it could be months before you hear anything again. I would forget about it (which is hard to do) and then hopefully in a few months you'll get a nice surprise.

Rebekah555

The job doesn't close till midnight tomorrow so you won't hear anything. I imagine the first you'll hear anything will be in a couple of weeks at the very earliest, something along the lines of 'we are screening your application'. Then it could be months before you hear anything again. I would forget about it (which is hard to do) and then hopefully in a few months you'll get a nice surprise.
I have one email already saying my application is under consideration which is an update from is saying it was being processed. I’m just excited and want to know, I’m incredibly fed up with my current job :)

Louby

It can take months guys, just forget about it honestly , or it will take over your life

Seehof

Sorry but shifts can start at any time so to say you won’t be travelling during peak times to and from work is a nonsense.

Seehof

Great - good luck - but stay relaxed as the process now seems to take a ridiculously long time. Hopefully, it will be a lot quicker for you all. I loved the job and driving to Manchester Victoria from Leeds was a joy even if I had a pacer one day!