• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Driver vacancies SKIPTON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrew32

Applied for this internal over three weeks ago, closed a week ago, waiting to hear if I have an interview.

pop79

I applied for a trainee train driver in Manchester with Northern in April 2016 . I have received an E-mail about 3 weeks ago stating that they will pause recruitment in Manchester for the foreseeable future and they asked me if i want to keep my application alive for any future courses .The E-mail was vague they didn`t even mention if iam short listed or not .Anyway now i want to apply for the Skipton vacancy and also apply for Maintenance depot driver in leeds and iam aware there are some questions in the beginning of the application asking if i have any other live application for a trainee driver ? also they ask if i live within 45 minutes from the depot?
Can someone shed some light on those issues please. I am worry if i apply for the Skipton vacancy they will reject the Manchester application and probably the Skipton application as well as i think this happened to me before. Do Northern accept relocation or they are strict on the 45 minutes travelling to the depot?. Any advice would be appreciated.

Andrew32

To my knowledge Northern don't accept relocation, someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'd say that you would stand a better chance at Manchester even though recruitment has been halted as turnover at Skipton is slower given that it is a small depot.

If you don't live within 45 minutes of Skipton at present then I doubt you can apply.

Contact Northern HR for more concrete advice, they are pretty good that way and could advise you of any other options available to you.

pop79

To my knowledge Northern don't accept relocation, someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'd say that you would stand a better chance at Manchester even though recruitment has been halted as turnover at Skipton is slower given that it is a small depot.

If you don't live within 45 minutes of Skipton at present then I doubt you can apply.

Contact Northern HR for more concrete advice, they are pretty good that way and could advise you of any other options available to you.

Thanks mate .I will phone them tomorrow .

RBSN

Basically, due to the amount of people applying for trainee roles they don't have to take anyone who's out of the 45 minute travel time. The ToCs can pick and choose at will.

OpsWeb

Northern are very "funny" about relocation. They immediately screen out any "out of area" postcodes when sifting the applications for any trainee role. No exceptions - nothing.

They are even reluctant to take on Qualified Drivers if they would have to relocate. Some Driver Managers still actively sift out potentially very good experienced qualified drivers because they live (but are willing to relocate) more than 45 mins away from the depot.

From a business case, I really cant see why a business would want to spend £150K training somebody from scratch because they happen to live near to the depot, as opposed to around £15K for an existing qualified driver who is willing to relocate at their own expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.