• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trains 6 car 158.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
So tonight at about 21:00 I noticed a train that seemed to be in service - at least the first two carriages anyway. What struck me was it was a 6 car 158 - three sets of 2 cars.

I've not seen this before and was wondering what had happened for this to occur? As the train roller over the bridge by the bus station it started to slow and came to a stop out of my eye sight.

Another question is based upon an earlier sighting. A class 333 came from Neville Hill towards Leeds over the same bridge described earlier. Walking under the bridge from the ring road side to the opposite side the train had used a set of points so that it was still on my side. This got me wondering what the 333s did first thing on a morning when coming in vast numbers from Neville Hill - do they all come in like that on the opposite side to what you would expect? I understand the reasoning for this, just couldn't get my head around how it's all timetabled on a morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Northern run a lot of ECS convoys, two or three workings join up after terminating at Leeds to work into Neville Hill at the end of both morning and evening rush hours.

Bayum

Established Member
Northern run a lot of ECS convoys, two or three workings join up after terminating at Leeds to work into Neville Hill at the end of both morning and evening rush hours.

But as I said, I believe that this was an in-service convoy.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Does SWT still run a 10 car 159-158-159-158 set in the morning peak?

That was always an interesting noise when it accelerated away from Grateley.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Is the longest ECS convoy that Northern have 3 units, or do they have any longer ones scheduled?

87019Chris

I've seen a 6 car 144 made of 3 x 2 car sets and that was in service before, I did think if it was illegal to punish so many people with a pacer ;)

Wolf

Quite often the Emptys too/ from Leeds to Neville hill are 4 or even sometimes 5 units if there's 153s involved. Quite a lot will work into Leeds from Neville hill early morning and then there's quite a few empty departures between 8 and 930 going from Leeds to Neville hill and then every now and again throughout day.4 units is limit that can be coupled if there's a 14x anywhere within it due to reliability of control circuits and 6 is limit if just 15x or if it's 333s.

Crossover

Established Member
There is a limit on number of cabs in a consist - possibly 8 for Pacers and 12 for Sprinters? Less impressive but there is a booked 2x 2 car 158 working on the 2228 HUD - LDS via Dewsbury, usually with the back set out of use

BurtonM

This is one move which is booked for 4 units, possibly the best opportunity to see one at a reason time of day

15:40 3H02 Newton Heath-Manchester Piccadilly

Aha! I stumbled across that accidentally while going home to Stalybridge from Man Vic one day, and I was going to bring it up, it really surprised me at first, seeing a chain of four 142s - that borders on being a useful train!

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Is the longest ECS convoy that Northern have 3 units, or do they have any longer ones scheduled?
4 unit ECS convoys have happened before:
[youtube]?v=gMwDg0DoH3Q[/youtube]

Some Scotrail 156s have also appeared on these trains as well:
[youtube]?v=YfLECbPuAZo&[/youtube]

These were recorded in 2011/2010 respectively, so I don't know whether these ECS convoys still run or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.