• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northerneers Survey Group

MadMarsupial

I am a member of the Northerneers Survey Group - a group of Northern passengers who are sent a questionnaire about some aspect of the TOC's work every month or so. I found their latest survey about litter extremely annoying and patronising. Anyone else in this group who has done the survey feel the same?
( I don't have a link to the survey other than the one sent by Northern which I think would identify me. )

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peri

I've started it and aborted a few questions in!
It started with questions about how you rate the five senses, then
seemed to be checking your reaction time and scolding you for being too slow.
I'm not applying to be a driver so I left.
This may link to the start.
Northerneer Questionnaire

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What a bonkers survey that seems to be, and we've had quite a few mad / random surveys on here, most often posted by university undergraduates! Wonder if anyone actually bothers to complete these "wastes of time"?!

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Got bored with it and quit partway through. I wonder if they are measuring that as well?

On Moderation
I am a member of the Northerneers Survey Group - a group of Northern passengers who are sent a questionnaire about some aspect of the TOC's work every month or so. I found their latest survey about litter extremely annoying and patronising. Anyone else in this group feel the same?
Yes and I have reported it to them and refused to complete the survey and deleted the email

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah add me as another that thought that this was a bizarre way to carry out a survey, gave up halfway through as I got bored. Which isn't normally a problem with these surveys! Someone has tried to be too clever by half here I think.

On Moderation
Clearly I can't now look back at the questions but I recall a bizarre and unnecessary one about your income which only had three options. What a quite frankly pathetic level of granularity. And how is income of an arbitrary passenger relevant to train cleanliness anyway? The mind boggles, but welcome to Northern!!

WesternLancer

Established Member
I've started it and aborted a few questions in!
It started with questions about how you rate the five senses, then
seemed to be checking your reaction time and scolding you for being too slow.
I'm not applying to be a driver so I left.
This may link to the start.
Northerneer Questionnaire
That bit on the 5 senses was I think your 'practice run' to get used to the survey style / method and the questions in that round (it is being done by a subcontractor doing it for Northern in this case it seems) - not that this was clear to me at the time - I just persevered with it! No doubt lots of people will give up before the actual questions.

But yes to the OP - I found it annoying and hard to process the question and answer it in the time the survey required - which seemed to be deliberately deigned to be like that (ie to require a 1st 'instinctive' response by the recipient) - but I did do it all the way through.

Worse, the method they used meant than on some occasions I simply selected the opposite choice to the one I meant - so they will have recorded completely wrong data as a result and I can't see how they would know what I answered was my correct view or not.

It is interspersed with some questions that are designed to check you are paying attention and not just ticking the same box for each question just to get to the end for example.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Worse, the method they used meant than on some occasions I simply selected the opposite choice to the one I meant - so they will have recorded completely wrong data as a result and I can't see how they would know what I answered was my correct view or not.
Yep I did that as well on one or two before I gave up.

al78

Established Member
Reminds me of the tests I had shortly after suffering a severe head injury nine years ago to try and deduce whether my cognifive ability may have been impacted

MadMarsupial

Glad that I am not the only one to take against this particular survey. I have had enough and have unsubscribed from their panel.

SteveM70

Established Member
Glad that I am not the only one to take against this particular survey. I have had enough and have unsubscribed from their panel.

I found a lot of their previous surveys childish and patronising, but put that down to their “house style” (stylised trains, daft slogans, primary school graphics) and thought “normals” might not feel the same. But I’ve steadily being losing interest / the will to live doing these surveys, so as they say on dragons den, I’m out

setdown

I don't particularly mind any of the objects from the survey left on the train. It's the filthy grime and ground-in dirt around windows, tables, and panels that really grates. No reference to that in the survey!

bearhugger

I've given up part way through on this survey. Pointless scrolling through all the "questions" before being able to respond. And I think it's a different company that has produced this survey.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I don't particularly mind any of the objects from the survey left on the train. It's the filthy grime and ground-in dirt around windows, tables, and panels that really grates. No reference to that in the survey!
You make a good point about the long term filth which it is the TOC's cleaning regime to attend to and get sorted through regular proper cleaning.

However, I do think it is unacceptable that people can get off a train having had takeaway food, sweets or drinks or even their own pic nic, and just get up mid journey and leave all their litter on the adjacent seat or table for the next passenger, when there are clearly bins provided. For some people this seems to be completely acceptable behaviour.

I dislike taking a seat with all that detritus around. Having said that I then usually if not always pick it up and bin it myself!

Starmill

Veteran Member
I tried the link in the thread, answered quite a few questions, then after the slideshow it crashed.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Apart from on a 195, where they’re tiny and not at all clear

But yes, people should tidy up after themselves. Makes you wonder what their houses are like
Ah yes, good point ref the195s - they are indeed hard to find and that hardly helps. A design stage flaw.

RAPC

That is a thoroughly bizarre survey. Honestly not sure who put it together, or the rationale behind it, but it is just plain strange. It isn't like a psychometric, or an ability test, but it mimics some of the features of those. Neither of those methods will help to get suitable feedback for a survey panel though.

ASharpe

I got up to pictures of lavender and mint before loosing the will to live.

Is this "mixed methods" research perhaps?