• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwegian Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Has anybody used Norwegian Railways Inter-city routes?

What are they like?

Hoping to do Oslo to Trondheim later in the year. Possibly do one way seated and one way by sleeper.

Any hints or suggestions gratefully received!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CallySleeper

Established Member
I did this journey three summers ago. It is a lovely journey, albeit long! I did both ways in daylight, which was fantastic (good July weather too)!

Havent therefore experienced the sleeper Norway-style but I imagine it would still be fun (although in the summer it might not even be much of a 'sleeper'... Both Oslo and trondelag at 1am in July was still very balmy and light!!) Maybe to the far north one day.

I would have to do some research but there are two types of train which run. One is an older loco set. The other is a newer DMU-style set. I travelled first in both sets and I would absolutely recommend the DMU diagram... for sheer space in first! It was like being sat in a lounge, with high back chairs, not fixed to the floor and big scenic windows. Thus, wouldn't be able to tell you about standard. I found a website with pictures and the diagrams on once.

Also... Hotdogs or pizza on a train? :)

In short... do it!!!!! It is definitely on my list of things to go back and do again one day (and not the only Norwegian thing)...:)

rf_ioliver

I did Oslo to Arendal a few years ago during the Summer. Scenery is fantastic and the stations are classic, wooden architectural masterpieces.

I traveled on the class 73 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSB_Class_73) to and from Oslo to Nelaug where I changed for the service to Arendal on an old class 69 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSB_Class_69).

The 73's are very comfortable and even have a viewing area with large windows and swiveling chairs. There is on-board catering with a small "cafe" style area. The trains do tilt though this was generally unnoticeable (no motion sickness) and the speeds aren't high in many places, however given the scenery this is a blessing :)

I will admit after 3-4 hours on a very comfortable train it was quite nice to get on the class 69 and trundle down the valley to Arendal. IIRC, wooden benches, opening windows and the track ran too close for comfort to the steep drop into the river below :)

Generally standards are high, trains a clean, punctuality was good and the connecting train at Nelaug was held in both directions.

t.

Ian

talltim

Established Member
We did Tronheim-Oslo return two years ago with our one and half year old. Good experience both ways. South we were on a loco hauled set of B7 coaches in the Family coach, which has loads of space and a playroom with climbing equipment and northbound on a class 73 which again was good. From memory the journey is about 7 hours as the route is winding, but spectacular scenery.
We also travelled south from Åsen to Trondheim on the express from Bodø, which was diesel loco hauled and had a couple of sleepers on the end which were removed at Trondheim
I've got some photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/41347876@N00/sets/72157624799251758/

Last edited:

bkhtele

We are planning a trip Sweden to Norway this year, how do prices for food, drink etc compare to say Switzerland? The pictures are great, I am really looking forward to it.
Is 1st class much more expensive?

Established Member
Like most of Norway, NSB are expensive and classy. I could barely afford 2nd (perfectly acceptable) so wouldn't know at all about 1st, we also did all overnights in the seats as berths were too much ching and again decent enough for a kip apart from one where we ended up in the few backward facing seats in the bay - the LHCS seats are bi-directional so are moved around prior to each service so all airline seats face forward.

I went a few years ago now but I don't believe too much has changed railway wise. They have got some new Flirt units and refurbished most of the LHCS but it is all pretty similar. Although there is very little, if any, fresh air stock left on front line IC duties which is a shame for reducing photographic potential, although the B7 stock does have decent windows at least.

Although I haven't done the Stavanger route and only seen bits of Oslo - Trondheim as it was an overnight (but daylight throughout), if you are going to only do one line, make sure it is Oslo - Bergen, stopping to do the Flam branch if at all possible. Absolutely top class almost throughout - only the Oslo tunnel bit is a bit boring!

Selection of my phots here http://87015aewn.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/norway/

Established Member
I did Oslo to Arendal a few years ago during the Summer. Scenery is fantastic and the stations are classic, wooden architectural masterpieces.

I traveled on the class 73 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSB_Class_73) to and from Oslo to Nelaug where I changed for the service to Arendal on an old class 69 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSB_Class_69).

I did Trondheim to Bodø by the day-train, leaving at 8 in the morning, getting in 7 at night. Surprisingly mine was a 2-car DMU class 93, very comfortable, two vending machines, and a food-box service at Mo-I-Rana which was quite good value.

csilke

I did Trondheim to Bodø by the day-train, leaving at 8 in the morning, getting in 7 at night.
Norwegian TV broadcast the Trondheim to Bodø journey a couple of months ago - see http://tv.nrk.no/serie/nordlandsbanen-minutt-for-minutt/dvfj60010112/sesong-1/episode-1 or http://www.nrk.no/nordlandsbanen/.

They also have the Flåmsbana (http://tv.nrk.no/program/dvfj64001010/flaamsbana-minutt-for-minutt) and you can find the Bergensbanen on youtube (search for "bergensbanen minutt for minutt").

edenpearson

Hello from Norway! As mentioned above the Bergen - Oslo line is by far the most beautiful. The 0758 departure from Bergen (Monday - Friday) is a classy new multiple unit with very comfortable seating. The other trains are more traditional loco-hauled services. I believe the multiple unit returns from Oslo at 1558 but I can not be 100% sure.

We do not have first class on Norwegian trains, but something known as komfort klass. It costs 90 kroner extra than standard class per journey (around £10) and gives you a more comfy seat and free tea and coffee (from a machine so you can utilise as often as you like!) Wi-fi is available and free for both standard and komfort class passengers.

Unlike Norway in general, the trains are very good value. If you book in advance you can travel from anywhere to anywhere (including Gothenberg in Sweden) for 249 kroner (£27) So potentially Gothenberg to Bodø for £27. And then a DB-special ticket from/to Gothenberg from/to Hamburg for 39 Euro's and Hamburg to London for 59 Euro's means you could travel from London to Bodø for around £120!

rf_ioliver

Norwegian TV broadcast the Trondheim to Bodø journey a couple of months ago - see http://tv.nrk.no/serie/nordlandsbanen-minutt-for-minutt/dvfj60010112/sesong-1/episode-1 or http://www.nrk.no/nordlandsbanen/.

They also have the Flåmsbana (http://tv.nrk.no/program/dvfj64001010/flaamsbana-minutt-for-minutt) and you can find the Bergensbanen on youtube (search for "bergensbanen minutt for minutt").

They showed that on Finnish TV a while back...excellent and really compelling viewing strangely enough.

Finnish railways did something similar with the Helsinkni-Kolari (might have been Rovaniemi, can't remember) train last midsummer.

t.

Ian

johnnychips

Established Member
If you were on a longer trip, get off the train at Fauske about an hour before Bodo and take a spectacular bus journey to Narvik - they connect - then get the line from there into Sweden, to Kiruna. Did it backwards on my 20th birthday, and will never forget it.

talltim

Established Member
Basically, if you travel by train in Norway*,you will realise that apart from speed, British railways have lost almost everything that makes rail travel enjoyable.

* probably true for much of Europe

Established Member
If you were on a longer trip, get off the train at Fauske about an hour before Bodo and take a spectacular bus journey to Narvik - they connect - then get the line from there into Sweden, to Kiruna. Did it backwards on my 20th birthday, and will never forget it.

I can recommend that too. The iron ore workings on the Narvik line are also of interest if you like that sort of thing, operated by huge purpose built electric locos. And if you have unlimited funds don't forget the Norwegian coastal boat, The Hurtigruten. A spectacular trip would be Olso - Bergen by train (including the branch to Flam), then ship to Trondheim before heading further north.

The line to Bodo is enjoyable, if long. However like the far north line to Wick and Thurso a lot of the charm is being removed with resignalling. My photograph of the signalman at one of the northern stations cycling from one end of the loop to the other will soon be a thing of the past.

Start saving :)

Established Member
And if you have unlimited funds don't forget the Norwegian coastal boat, The Hurtigruten. A spectacular trip would be Olso - Bergen by train (including the branch to Flam), then ship to Trondheim before heading further north.

Hurtigruten has become a bit of a rip-off in recent years, used to be clunky old ships and was relatively affordable. Not so nowadays.

One good alternative is the Flaggruten, which operates from Bergen-Haugesund-Stavanger, Bergen and Stavanger both being NSB railheads. About £40 ish one way, 6 hour journey, stunning scenery.

Attachments

• Flaggruten.jpg
    Flaggruten.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 17

Established Member
Hurtigruten has become a bit of a rip-off in recent years, used to be clunky old ships and was relatively affordable. Not so nowadays.

One good alternative is the Flaggruten, which operates from Bergen-Haugesund-Stavanger, Bergen and Stavanger both being NSB railheads. About £40 ish one way, 6 hour journey, stunning scenery.

Yes it is a rich persons plaything. I managed to travel on the only clunky old ship last year, the 1964 built Lofoten, but it wasn't cheap.

If you can put up with Ryanair they fly Stansted - Haugesund. Then use the Flaggruten to go either north to Bergen or South to Stavanger. Another option.

Seagulls01

As the OP mentioned there are real bargains to be had. Go on the NSB website ( it has an English page ).
We did Oslo/Trondheim for 299 NOK, if we had booked earlier could have got it for 199 NOK. Amazing journey, comfortable, free wifi, etc. takes about 7 hrs, but it flew by.

Class45

I've just booked Oslo to Bodo as part of my holiday in June for 249 Kronor. That's around £28 for over 500 miles, not bad value. Plane from Bodo to Narvik was another £56. Haven't booked Narvik to Stockholm yet but a first class sleeper is about £160, a couchette is much less.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I came across this thread last night, and admittedly I have got extremely keen on going to Norway later in the year. Ryanair do flights for reasonable prices by the looks of it, and fares look quite good in advance too for NSB. But what I haven't come across is:

How do the trains themselves rate for noise? Is it all electric stuff, or are there diesel trains too?

I've found a map of NSB's routes on their website, as the Thomas Cook map shows bugger all of Norway and the surrounding area. So that's helpful at least. The only other thing that comes to mind is what are NSB like for photo taking?

Status
Not open for further replies.