• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwich - London: Route Options on Easter Monday

itfcfan

There are several sections of engineering work in East Anglia this weekend affecting Norwich to London journeys. On the GEML via Ipswich buses replace trains from Witham to Billericay and on the route via Cambridge buses replace trains on a shorter section between Ely and Cambridge North. In theory its possible to make the journey without any bus replacements either via Peterborough or via Stowmarket/Cambridge. However, itineraries on Norwich-Peterborough direct trains aren't offered by booking engines for 1st April - is some kind of mandatory reservation in effect?

I'm looking to make this journey on Easter Monday (1st April). I'd prefer to use an off-peak ticket as I don't know which time I'll be able to travel. I'd like to avoid any routes which are likely to be very busy if possible. Looking at the timetables, taking ~12:00 departure from Norwich as an example, I appear to have 4x options:

OPTION 1 (via Peterborough)
Norwich 11:56 - 13:22 Peterborough
Peterborough 13:30 - 14:23 Kings Cross
FARES: n/a? (problem booking Norwich - Peterborough), Off-Peak should be £59 (split at Peterborough)
DURATION: 2h27 (** FASTEST OPTION)

OPTION 2 (via Stowmarket/Cambridge)
Norwich 12:00 - 12:28 Stowmarket
Stowmarket 12:35 - 13:41 Cambridge
Cambridge 13:53 - 14:59 St Pancras
FARES: Off-Peak £45.40 (split at Cambridge - ** CHEAPEST FLEXIBLE OPTION)
DURATION: 2h59

OPTION 3 (via Ely/Cambridge North bus)
Norwich 12:28 - 13:25 Ely
Ely 13:35 - 14:05 Cambridge North (BUS)
Cambridge North 14:31 - 15:32 Kings Cross
FARES: Off-Peak £45.40 (split at Cambridge - ** CHEAPEST FLEXIBLE OPTION)
DURATION: 3h04 (BUS 30m)

OPTION 4 (via Witham/Billericay bus)
Norwich 12:00 - 13:18 Witham
Witham 13:23 - 14:11 Billericay (BUS)
Billericay 14:20 - 14:52 Liverpool Street
FARES: Off-Peak £68, Advance £30.50
DURATION: 2h52 (BUS 48m)

Some questions for anyone who knows these routes better than me:
1) How busy does (Ipswich - ) Stowmarket - Cambridge get when the direct GEML route is replaced with buses? Is this a route to avoid if possible?
2) Why aren't itineraries offered for direct Norwich-Peterborough trains on 1st April? Is this route expected to be very busy?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Norwich to Peterborough will be a standard 2 car 158 and is already very busy on Easter Monday without diverted passengers.

Looking at the available fares it appears EMR have indeed already sold all they're confident of fitting on the train and blocked them out for new purchases, though they are still valid for travel on flexible tickets if you can get on.

My suggestion if you really want to go that way would be to catch the 1127 to Ely and you can then see how the 1250 to Liverpool is, and if it's full use the 1300 GA service to Peterborough as a back up and book tickets to those timings accordingly.

itfcfan

Thank you @LowLevel and @jfollows. I'm not set on taking the via Peterborough route - just trying to understand the options.

Does anyone know what the Ipswich - Cambridge trains are like when GEML is using buses? Just a bit busier than usual or full and standing? Am I likely to get seats if getting on at Stowmarket around the middle of the day (two of us are travelling)?

Established Member
Cambridge United at home (15.00 KO) may not help options 2 and 3. Given those choices bus Witham - Billericay is perhaps the least worst.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you travel via Peterborough you are likely to encounter extremely busy LNER services as well a 2-car 158, so you won't be avoiding "routes that are busy". Given the choices available, I think I would go for option 4, based on knowing how well replacement bus services tend to be organised on the GE main line.

TAS

I find the Witham - Billericay buses to be quite generously timed (depending on traffic on the A12). Once you add on the large amount of time allowed for a connection despite the easy access to the platform from the bus stop, I've found that in practice it's not that uncommon to be able to catch the onward train before the one the journey planner suggests.