• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nostalgic May 8: Isle of Wight - Worcestershire (50 p.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roni

Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Nostalgic May 7: Isle of Wight Hovercraft and Steam (50 p. + 1 v.)

The video for this part:

May 16 2023

The 14:35 service of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway getting ready to depart Haven Street towards Smallbrook Junction.
mainost0801.jpg

mainost0802.jpg

It soon returned to continue towards Wootton at 3:15 p.m.
mainost0803.jpg

An ambitious hobby photographer lady asked for the best spot to take pictures of the train from. She ended up standing next to the "Train Story" shed (a permanent exhibition) behind me, her husband on the walking path in front of me - that's why these images are cropped on the right side.
mainost0804.jpg

The train approaching from Wootton across a private level crossing mentioned in the last report part.
mainost0805.jpg

mainost0806.jpg

Prussian blue War Department 192 "Waggoner".
mainost0807.jpg

As soon as the masses had alighted, I entered an empty unreserved compartment at 3:40 p.m.
mainost0808.jpg

We say goodbye for now to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.
I travelled one station towards Shanklin to Brading at four o'clock, regular services only stop at Smallbrook Junction during heritage railway operating hours. At first, I got a slight shock thinking the island line stopped operating due to the strike and overtime restrictions, then noticed later departures being displayed at other stations.
mainost0809.jpg

mainost0810.jpg

Landscape view.
mainost0811.jpg

Historical platforms at Brading.
mainost0812.jpg

Return to Ryde Esplanade at five to five. The pier railway remained under maintenance for two more months then reopened after criticism during the summer season on 10th July.
mainost0813.jpg

Fish & chips from the "Codfather".
mainost0814.jpg

Solent view at low tide, a hovercraft to Portsmouth.
You can spot the advantage of the system to be able to travel across sand - I experienced the disadvantage as the hovercraft turned with its stern towards me and started sandblasting the shore with not very hygienic stuff from the bottom of the harbour. Luckily, the fish and chips had been consumed by then.
mainost0815.jpg

A shuttle bus took me from the hoverport to Portsmouth & Southsea station.
mainost0816.jpg

The building from 1866 with later additions:

mainost0817.jpg

Upper through tracks to Portsmouth Harbour from 1876.
mainost0818.jpg

mainost0819.jpg

I took the Great Western connection towards Bristol again: the 18:24 Portsmouth Harbour - Cardiff Central service, this time formed of class 165 "Networker Turbo" units:

mainost0820.jpg

The "most British" railway luggage I have ever come across... ;)

Older terminal platforms to the lower right. The upper platform cover from the 1980s still carries its "Network SouthEast" red colour.
mainost0821.jpg

Arrival to Southampton Central at 7:10 p.m.
mainost0822.jpg

The turbos leaving towards Salisbury.
mainost0823.jpg

18:45 Cross Country Voyager Bournemouth - theoretically Manchester Piccadilly... however, rail replacement buses operated between Didcot and Oxford as the Nuneham viaduct had to be renewed. This would be relevant for my travels the following day.
mainost0824.jpg

The appearance of my Desiro home could not even be helped by evening sunlight.
mainost0825.jpg

It stayed in the shadow after arrival at Bournemouth, 444026 was lit perfectly.
mainost0826.jpg

The historic station roof construction shortly before sunset.
mainost0827.jpg

May 17 2023

Next morning, I could relax, eat breakfast leisurely and walk to the station with my luggage before 9 o'clock. I did not want to leave too early to avoid rush hour. I had found a nice replacement route for the Voyagers. My 4-day-England-consecutive-BritRail-pass had been activated providing free choice. :0)
mainost0828.jpg

The parts from Weymouth and Poole were joined to a 10-coach-train leaving punctually at 9:22 a.m. towards London.
mainost0829.jpg

Shortly before arriving to Basingstoke, a passenger a few rows away suffered a collapse - the train staff immediately attended to him. Lastly, he managed to exit the train, an ambulance meeting him at the platform.
I walked to dead end track 5 where GWR diesel services to Reading start.
mainost0830.jpg

My previous train departed almost on time.
mainost0831.jpg

We already know this class.
mainost0832.jpg

I had visited the completed modern Reading station once in late 2014, electrification had finished in 2018. New for me as HST-replacement were the class 800 bi-modal Hitachi units, innovatively called "Intercity Express Train" by the Great Western Railway, "Azuma" on the East Coast Mainline.
mainost0833.jpg

It turned out to be a lovely waiting period with permanent class 66 goods traffic. One box slightly lowered virtually.
mainost0834.jpg

Nine-part 800304 formed the 11:03 London Paddington – Plymouth service departing punctually at 11:29 a.m.:

mainost0835.jpg

The tele lens had stayed at home, some images have been cropped.
mainost0836.jpg

165111 returned to Basingstoke.
mainost0837.jpg

Fitting track, spotlight, a colourful container train hauled by DB Cargo 66024 in old EWS livery - it does not get any better at Reading.
mainost0838.jpg

Enter a rainbow-coloured unicorn and T-rex...
mainost0839.jpg

The next diesel rumbling through the station.
mainost0840.jpg

All around a lot of construction work in still-no-city Reading.
Background, e.g.: ;)

mainost0841.jpg

I boarded a class 800 as practical GWR direct link from London via the Golden Valley Line Swindon to Stonehouse, Gloucester and Cheltenham Spa. The trip turned slightly surreal with constant companions.
I was delighted by the switch from electric current to diesel - you hardly notice anything at all. We were delayed and had to wait for a free platform before entering Gloucester due to a Cross Country service making an unscheduled stop. My plan had been to change to my favourite GWR service from Salisbury via Bristol to Worcester Foregate Street at Cheltenham Spa. Now suddenly both trains arrived at Gloucester almost at the same time. I did not want to risk it and walked through a crowd across the bridge to the other platform. The trippy animals were following. The previous unit can be spotted through the window in the right-hand photo.
mainost0842.jpg

Reaching the West Midlands Railway network at Worcester Shrub Hill - new trains with old infrastructure which I already had taken a picture of during a summer trip in 1994:

mainost0843.jpg

This time, I continued to Worcester Foregate Street.
mainost0844.jpg

172008 in front of the neo-Gothic Baptist and St. Mary Magdalene churches.

Class 172 "Turbostar" are being operated in several variants by the West Midlands Railway, with and without gangway at the front. Subclass 172/0 originated from the London Overground:

mainost0845.jpg

Terminal for GWR 166213 after its long voyage from the South.
mainost0846.jpg

Both directions, both tracks... does not sound typically British to me.
mainost0847.jpg

At Southampton Central to the upper right as it should be - a proper dispute over directions seems to have taken place at Worcester Foregate Street...
mainost0848.jpg

A class 172/2 with gangway took me to my destination and started washing.
mainost0849.jpg

The beautiful nature is distracting from the fact that we are in Kidderminster, opulent Severn Valley Railway heritage terminal close by. :0)
mainost0850.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.