• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not allowed to board Lumo service because of oversized backpack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I was going to travel from London to Edinburgh for some hiking and camping. I booked my ticket through Trainline where there was no mention of a luggage limit. I was carrying a 65L backpack with all my gear. The Lumo staff told me I could not board the train as it was bigger then their limit. So I looked it up on their website and yes my backpack was bigger then the limit they allow.

As I could not travel I wasted my £123 return fare. I could not afford to buy another ticket with LNER. As Trainline didn't specify the luggage limit, do I have any hope for a refund from them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

megabusser

People who know more will surely comment, but the fact that a rucksack is not allowed is a terrible terrible policy and the National Rail website luggage page implies you should have no problems, not saying any train companies have their own rules.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
It quite clearly states on their app what the luggage restrictions are, and it would seem that the OP exceeded them, as lumo is open access, there’s no comeback

Attachments

• 08F7F892-4FBC-4E0A-A33A-96FF35D059AA.jpeg
    08F7F892-4FBC-4E0A-A33A-96FF35D059AA.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 323

Mak1981

It quite clearly states on their app what the luggage restrictions are, and it would seem that the OP exceeded them, as lumo is open access, there’s no comeback
Also just below on that page they give details of their lumo luggage courier service that they are advising people to purchase if have larger items

Jan Mayen

Does this mean they should restrict ticket sales to there App, or do other retailers have to ask if you've check with Lumo's additional conditions for travel?

Sheridan

Is that on the Lumo app? If so how would the OP have known to check there?

Wolfie

Established Member
However, if the OP purchased from the Trainline he would neither see their app nor does it appear that Trainline refer to any restrictions. I would suggest the OP contacts the Trainline making it very clear that if an immediate refund is not forthcoming he will engage his credit card company using rights under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. If a credit card was not used for payment a chargeback might be possible on a debit card. Failing that it's off to County Court using the small claims route.....

Mak1981

However, if the OP purchased from the Trainline he would neither see their app nor does it appear that Trainline refer to any restrictions. I would suggest the OP contacts the Trainline making it very clear that if an immediate refund is not forthcoming he will engage his credit card company using rights under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. If a credit card was not used for payment a chargeback might be possible on a debit card. Failing that it's off to County Court using the small claims route.....

From trainline

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309_190100_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_190100_Samsung Internet.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 692

Wolfie

Established Member
From trainline
Thank you. That, if it is clearly displayed to a purchaser, does put rather a different complexion on the issue. I took the OP's assertion at face value when offering advice.

Wolfie

Established Member
I think that piece from Trainline is from their Support section and not part of the booking process.
There is a big difference between something that you can find after delving and something clearly presented during the purchase process, l agree.

JamieL

Lumo is an abomination. If they can't meet the standard conditions of carriage elsewhere on the railway, then IMHO their services should be excluded from general tickets sales. Lumo tickets should be limited solely to the Lumo app to prevent people falling victim to their service. To the OP I would recommend formally complaining to Trainline.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
There is a big difference between something that you can find after delving and something clearly presented during the purchase process, l agree.

It does sound like GB Rail Travel Agent apps haven’t caught up with baggage restrictions yet although it shouldn’t be difficult as most airlines have baggage restrictions.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’m not against baggage restrictions in principle but they do need to be clearly communicated during the ticket sale.

PF19

That's a genuinely ridiculous policy...
Will they restrict liquids too 100ml bottles?
Weight limits on bags?
Lighters have to go in a little clear bag?
Sorry to hear what's happened there OP - You've saved me the mither of ever trying that service out

trainophile

Established Member
Reading that, I'm wondering whether ladies can carry a normal sized handbag as well as the other permitted items. You can't (or couldn't last time I flew with them) on Ryanair, it makes a mockery as you end up wearing it underneath your coat to hide it from view at the boarding gate.

Established Member
Weight limits on bags?
Sorry to hear what's happened there OP - You've saved me the mither of ever trying that service out
The restrictions apply to all services. OP could have got an AAA excess, as most do, but clearly decided kicking off online was a better option.

Weight limits on bags?
The restrictions apply to all services. OP could have got an AAA excess, as most do, but clearly decided kicking off online was a better option. Euston barrier would have done the same.

alxndr

Established Member
Did the rucksack exceed their suitcase allowance? If it didn't then it would beg the question of what the difference is other than size, and what the criteria is for something to be deemed a "suitcase".

Mak1981

I think that piece from Trainline is from their Support section and not part of the booking process.

The booking process takes you through and has a check box which confirms acceptance of the carriers conditions with a link to the conditions, in there it directs the customer to check the train operators website for restrictions on luggage, the info is there but you do have to click through quite a lot to see it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309_200936_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_200936_OneDrive.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20230309_200753_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_200753_Samsung Internet.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 129

Jan Mayen

Is AAA Accompanied Animals and Articles? I didn't know these were still available. I thought they died out with Bristish Rail!

mad_rich

Hiding restrictions behind the 'tick here' box probably doesn't pass the Big Red Hand test, given the context (purchasing a train ticket, where pretty much any other train ticket in the UK wouldn't come with such onerous restrictions.)

Booking direct with Lumo, though, is a different context. The target market is air passengers, who would probably be expecting luggage restrictions, reservation only, limited flexibility etc.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Lumo should be documenting these non-standard baggage requirements in the ticket type terms and conditions for L7R, L4C, L4A etc etc.

As they have failed to do so, I think the open access operator is at fault here rather than Trainline.

Alex365Dash

The booking process takes you through and has a check box which confirms acceptance of the carriers conditions with a link to the conditions, in there it directs the customer to check the train operators website for restrictions on luggage, the info is there but you do have to click through quite a lot to see it
Lumo here are relying on Condition 23.1.17, which states that:
In such cases these conditions will be made available when buying your Ticket in advance and will be shown on the Train Company’s website.
You could make the argument that the Trainline (or any other retailer that isn’t Lumo themselves) doesn’t make Lumo’s luggage allowance available at the point in which you’re buying a ticket…

Lumo should be documenting these non-standard baggage requirements in the ticket type terms and conditions for L7R, L4C, L4A etc etc.

As they have failed to do so, I think the open access operator is at fault here rather than Trainline.
This would work to some extent, but then there would still be the issue of having this on flexible tickets.

Ticket type OR2 is used for Lumo Only Anytime Open Returns (in addition to SWR-set Anytime Open Returns) as well as SDS for Lumo Only Anytime Day Singles, and that’s not to start with fares set by other TOCs which are also valid on Lumo services which you’d need to change the conditions of each ticket type for.

Surely there should be a better way of implementing this?

Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
This would work to some extent, but then there would still be the issue of having this on flexible tickets.

Ticket type OR2 is used for Lumo Only Anytime Open Returns (in addition to SWR-set Anytime Open Returns) as well as SDS for Lumo Only Anytime Day Singles, and that’s not to start with fares set by other TOCs which are also valid on Lumo services which you’d need to change the conditions of each ticket type for.

Surely there should be a better way of implementing this?
Yeah, completely agreed. It doesn't work for customers selecting a Lumo service on a flexible ticket.

If there is a better way, that works at the service level and will get surfaced to every journey planning TIS, I'd very much like to know what it is!

For now it's going to have to be:
if operatorCode == "LD": displayWarning()

Implemented in each and every frontend, which is a colossal waste of time for every retailer, frankly. If any retailers were consulted by Lumo regarding this, it's news to me.

It's very disappointing OAs are effectively allowed to do whatever they like here.

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
Here's what you're told under "ticket restrictions" (if you choose to click the link) when buying a Lumo ticket on the Scotrail app.

Nothing about the baggage restrictions.

I think the OP should complain to Trainline and see what happens. Anyone who this happens to, who bought via a third party, should complain to that third party, make it their problem to fight out with Lumo.

Screenshot_20230309-215429.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.