• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not Stopping in correct position

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonf14

Can I ask what does this mean, train delayed by not stopping at correct position in the station?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-23-18-57-38-75_5c11c56bb54ebd1f8fc77cbfca4b7c71.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-23-18-57-38-75_5c11c56bb54ebd1f8fc77cbfca4b7c71.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 529
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Can often mean it’s overshot the station or stopped short & released doors.

It may not necessarily be that train that’s done it.

manmikey

Some through platforms have more than one place for trains to stop at , so you can get 2 or 3 shorter units onto a long platform. It's possible that if the train doesn't stop at its booked place it can't then get off the platform again, it could for instance get "buried in" by another train.

Ipswich is a good example it has 3 berths on each of its through platforms, on platform 2 for instance there is 2A, 2B and 2C

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Also could have stopped on the AWS grids. Drivers at New St have to be very aware of this.

FManc

There’s been a few station overruns this evening (Heald Green, Cheadle Hulme and Styal) due to the very poor railhead conditions in the North West/Manchester area.

Northerngirl

Saw the opposite today at Huyton, 319 stopped with only the front 2 cars at the platform, but after a bit of yelling from the driver it rolled to the right place

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Whilst overruns are something that whilst not common are also not completely rare at this time of year, 50 minutes to resolve the issue seems like quite a long time.

Rail Quest

There’s been a few station overruns this evening (Heald Green, Cheadle Hulme and Styal) due to the very poor railhead conditions in the North West/Manchester area.
Wonder why it's particularly bad today. My 150 was slipping like mad on the mid-cheshire line this evening as well. I also noticed there seemed to be a lot more leaves flying out from underneath the train this evening. Could the particularly strong winds this afternoon have blown a load of leaves onto the tracks and caused some bonus slippage?

CHAPS2034

Wonder why it's particularly bad today. My 150 was slipping like mad on the mid-cheshire line this evening as well. I also noticed there seemed to be a lot more leaves flying out from underneath the train this evening. Could the particularly strong winds this afternoon have blown a load of leaves onto the tracks and caused some bonus slippage?
A weather front went through the South Manchester area about 1630-1645.

Wind was gusting up to 35mph for a short while and went round towards a more northerly point. The temperature dropped by 2 degrees in 10 minutes and the whole thing was accompanied by around 20 minutes of that nasty penetrating drizzle.

No doubt this all changed the adhesion conditions in a very short time as there are still plenty of leaves still on many trees.

Established Member
Wonder why it's particularly bad today.

My guess, the leaves have started to turn mouldy, so the green stuff is flying around, the last few days everywhere has been constantly damp without drying and the odd rain shower has led to railhead conditions of double red... think going to the ice rink but wearing roller skates thinking it's gonna be fine.

In my experience, the leaves aren't ever on the line, that's a poor description by the railways - it's actually tree & leaf mould, the bright green stuff on garden fences.

As for this thread, when I read the title, I made the assumption first that a certain signaller at Piccadilly has been playing train jenga again... 11 empty bay platforms and 8 trains dumped back to back on platform 6 with passengers all boarding the wrong set.

M60lad

Out of interest what actually happens in this instance when a train overruns a station? What's the actual procedure when this happens as I know a train can't reverse back into a station?

Was it this that caused most of the problems at Manchester Piccadilly last night as according to Realtime Trains quite a number of trains in/around Manchester area were running heavily delayed or cancelled?

EZJ

RHHT (RailHeadTreatmentTrain) had failed and lots of areas around Manchester had not been treated. Ironically it was a wheel slip issue.

dk1

Veteran Member
RHHT (RailHeadTreatmentTrain) had failed and lots of areas around Manchester had not been treated. Ironically it was a wheel slip issue.

Been a few incidents that way with wheelslip I’ve heard.

driver9000

Established Member
Out of interest what actually happens in this instance when a train overruns a station? What's the actual procedure when this happens as I know a train can't reverse back into a station?

Depending on the circumstances a train can be authorised by the Signaller to set back into the platform. It takes time to do this due to the conversation needed and the Driver has to change ends in order to move the train back into a platform.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Was it this that caused most of the problems at Manchester Piccadilly last night as according to Realtime Trains quite a number of trains in/around Manchester area were running heavily delayed or cancelled?

Returning a train back to the platform it has overshot is allowed for in the Rule Book as long as certain conditions are met, but ultimately it's the signaller who decides if that can happen or not. A 50-minute delay does seem a little excessive but it can happen if a driver does not follow the correct procedure when returning to the platform. Also permission to continue with the journey might not be granted if that driver has a history of such incidents although if the overshoot was caused by poor adhesion rather than driver error there should be no problem.

dk1

Veteran Member
Depending on the circumstances a train can be authorised by the Signaller to set back into the platform. It takes time to do this due to the conversation needed and the Driver has to change ends in order to move the train back into a platform.
As long as within 400m and no AHB between the stopping point and platform. Darn rule book always rings in my head ;)

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
These conditions are often met but it's still the signaller's decision and it's often a 'no'.
In these cases will the passengers who wanted to get off but couldn’t and had to travel to the next station and get off and catch another train back again be compensated for the extra single ticket they would have to have bought (or just risk getting on without buying and hope the guard doesn’t catch you).

12LDA28C

Established Member
In these cases will the passengers who wanted to get off but couldn’t and had to travel to the next station and get off and catch another train back again be compensated for the extra single ticket they would have to have bought (or just risk getting on without buying and hope the guard doesn’t catch you).

Clearly, in that situation passengers would not be expected to have to buy another ticket because their train failed to call at their desired station. If challenged by the guard they would simply explain what happened and it would be easy enough for the guard to check, if they weren't already aware.

Established Member
Clearly, in that situation passengers would not be expected to have to buy another ticket because their train failed to call at their desired station. If challenged by the guard they would simply explain what happened and it would be easy enough for the guard to check, if they weren't already aware.
Well you say that...

LAX54

Established Member
As long as within 400m and no AHB between the stopping point and platform. Darn rule book always rings in my head ;)
:D

Well you say that...

But is that not a different scenario altogether ?

Towers

Established Member
Returning a train back to the platform it has overshot is allowed for in the Rule Book as long as certain conditions are met, but ultimately it's the signaller who decides if that can happen or not. A 50-minute delay does seem a little excessive but it can happen if a driver does not follow the correct procedure when returning to the platform. Also permission to continue with the journey might not be granted if that driver has a history of such incidents although if the overshoot was caused by poor adhesion rather than driver error there should be no problem.
The driver may also have declared himself as unfit to continue, of course, either temporarily or requiring a relief driver.

12LDA28C

Established Member
The driver may also have declared himself as unfit to continue, of course, either temporarily or requiring a relief driver.

That would be quite rare, more common is the driver not being permitted to continue by their employer due to being classified as an 'at risk' driver who is to be relieved upon having an incident, such as a station overrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.