• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notable towns without Stagecoach local buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

daodao

Established Member
No Stagecoach in Warrington, Macclesfield or Crewe.

Stagecoach briefly ran the Sunday 130 service into Macclesfield as an emergency replacement following the demise of GHA.

On a related topic, it looks as if Cheshire East will follow Shropshire in having no Sunday or late evening bus services from April 2018, apart from certain High Peak buses (those through Disley and route 58 if Derbyshire CC continue to subsidise it) and possibly certain interurban routes into Crewe (3, 84 & 85).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asb

Stagecoach briefly ran the Sunday 130 service into Macclesfield as an emergency replacement following the demise of GHA.

Stagecoach EM also ran the 58 from Buxton via Cat & Fiddle to Macclesfield on Summer Sundays for a while.

pemma

Veteran Member

I think Stagecoach's arm was twisted to get them to run that service, given they didn't bid for the 'permanent' 130 Sunday/BH contract and that Cheshire East ENCTS reimbrusement was stated as their reason for withdrawing the Cheshire part of the 378. Arriva didn't have enough drivers to be able to take it on initially by the time the Wythenshawe, Winsford and Macclesfield depots had already been stretched by taking on emergency contracts for other former GHA routes.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Stagecoach EM also ran the 58 from Buxton via Cat & Fiddle to Macclesfield on Summer Sundays for a while.

They also ran its predecessor all week, the 'V' Rail Link bus to Bakewell via Buxton, in the early noughties, albeit with a bus in Virgin colours.

MedwayValiant

Further south the Maidstone and Medway areas of Kent have none, possibly places like Leicester also?

As already mentioned, Maidstone has one Stagecoach service in the form of the 10X to Ashford.

Medway doesn't have any Stagecoach services at present, but there used to be the rather odd X81, which ran Chatham - M2 - Canterbury - Thanet. It was withdrawn three weeks before the University of Kent opened its Chatham campus and people might have started using it!

A full list of towns with no Stagecoach services would be rather long, but what about counties?

I think I have Isle of Wight, Rutland, Shropshire, and Staffordshire as the only English counties without a single Stagecoach service. Does Stagecoach in fact reach any of these counties, and should there be other counties which are not reached?

I was about to add North Yorkshire, and then prepare myself for an argument as to whether we should go historical and consider Middlesbrough as North Yorkshire. But we don't need to worry about that, because Stagecoach reaches Ingleton from Lancaster. I wondered about Dorset too, but Lyme Regis is reached.

plcd1

True but they do feel rather concentrated in one area of London,which is the point I was making. Metroline for example are hugely dominant in NW London, but they are pretty big in central and south West London, and North London too

Arriva have garages on Watford, across North London, East and south London

Yes they are clustered to the east of London. Being resident in NE London I'd say Stagecoach are rather less dominant than they were. Their service volume locally is a lot lower than it was and they are due to lose more work in the Barking and Dagenham area. The arrival of both Go Ahead and Tower Transit, both in part replacing First London, has increased competition and CT Plus have recently grabbed a slice of work from Arriva and Go Ahead. The situation is far more fluid than it was even 10 years ago. Stagecoach recently lost the 48 which has run from Leyton for as long as I've been in London. It's a bit of a shame because Stagecoach London are a decent operator who look after their fleet unlike certain other companies .....

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
A full list of towns with no Stagecoach services would be rather long, but what about counties?

I think I have Isle of Wight, Rutland, Shropshire, and Staffordshire as the only English counties without a single Stagecoach service.

County Durham too? (At least until the X55 is launched, as that passes through County Durham at Dalton Park).

ashworth

Established Member
I don't think that anyone has mentioned Derby. Mainly Arriva and Trent Barton but I can't think of any Stagecoach routes in Derby.
I think that's the case with large parts of Derbyshire, Notttinghamshire and Leicestershire and also East Staffordshire. Stagecoach have a significant presense in North Notts and North Derbyshire but not in areas to the south including towns like Ilkeston, Heanor, Eastwood, Hucknall, Loughborough, Burton on Trent etc.

MedwayValiant

County Durham too? (At least until the X55 is launched, as that passes through County Durham at Dalton Park).

Yes, I think you're right. If we go historical then Hartlepool is in Durham, but under the current county boundaries Stagecoach do not enter Durham ... until that new service starts in a week's time.

Essex has also been suggested to me, but it is reached by Stagecoach operated TfL services to Loughton, and also by the 7 from Cambridge to Saffron Walden.

Stagecoach does not reach Rutland now, but did it ever operate the 4 between Grantham and Stamford, which runs through Rutland for a couple of miles? Or had Centrebus taken that over before Road Car became a Stagecoach company?

James Wake

Crawley doesn't, only time is on rail replacement when you may see Stagecoach working Three Bridges to Brighton or occasionally Horsham. Nearest Stagecoach route is the 17 in Horsham from Brighton via Henfield.

East Grinstead similarly, nearest Stagecoach routes are in Tunbridge Wells, the 51/251/252 corridor from Eastbourne via Heathfield, as well as the 254/304/305 corridor from Hastings via Hawkhurst.

Mwanesh

Southampton used to have a few Stagecoach buses but haven't had any for a few years now. Stagecoach do currently have SWT/Stagecoach liveried replacement buses/coaches that can be seen occasionally but when First/MTR takeover I'm sure these will disappear.

Bluestar was once owned by Stagecoach.They would not go into a fight with First who were bigger that them those days.They sold to Go Ahead and left town.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
As already mentioned, Maidstone has one Stagecoach service in the form of the 10X to Ashford.

Medway doesn't have any Stagecoach services at present, but there used to be the rather odd X81, which ran Chatham - M2 - Canterbury - Thanet. It was withdrawn three weeks before the University of Kent opened its Chatham campus and people might have started using it!

I think I have Isle of Wight, Rutland, Shropshire, and Staffordshire as the only English counties without a single Stagecoach service. Does Stagecoach in fact reach any of these counties, and should there be other counties which are not reached?

I was about to add North Yorkshire, and then prepare myself for an argument as to whether we should go historical and consider Middlesbrough as North Yorkshire. But we don't need to worry about that, because Stagecoach reaches Ingleton from Lancaster. I wondered about Dorset too, but Lyme Regis is reached.

You need to delete Staffordshire. Stagecoach run into Tamworth.

SCH117X

Established Member
Think Skipton Harrogate and York were once briefly served by Stagecoach Cumbria on a Kendle-York service they took over from Mountain Goat and then cancelled

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Think Skipton Harrogate and York were once briefly served by Stagecoach Cumbria on a Kendle-York service they took over from Mountain Goat and then cancelled

Skipton was also served by extensions of the X43 when Stagecoach owned Burnley and Pendle.

317 forever

Established Member
I have seen mention of Derby and Staffordshire. Well, when they took over GM Buses South in 1996 they inherited route X1 (Manchester - Stockport - Macclesfield - Ashbourne - Derby). It was later withdrawn, I think ca 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.