• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intention to prosecute GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heritageguy

GTR letter 1.jpg
GTR letter 2.jpgHi everyone, today I receive a notice of intention to prosecute from the GTR. The incident happened over a month ago, I can't quite remember what I said to the Inspector, but I do believe I incriminated myself. However, the inspector seemed to want to help, and I am unsure as to what was taken down in the witness statement.

I have plowed through this forum all afternoon and tried to follow the best advice for writing my draft (below). All the information is there, please provide any advice you can on how to improve it.

----
Dear Sir/Madam,

I thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to your letter.

On Thursday 13 April 2023, I purchased a ticket from London Bridge Station to London Blackfriars. This ticket was refused at the gate and was called over by a Revenue Protection Inspector. I complied with the Inspector, remained entirely respectful throughout the interaction, and admitted that my original departure station was Hassocks. I was unable to produce a valid ticket entitling travel from Hassocks to London Blackfriars Station. My details were then taken by the Inspector. Following the interaction, I was issued a witness statement receipt.

I am a currently full-time Masters student at University College London, who was struggling financially at the time of the incident. I had recently been forced out of my London accommodation, and had to move, in emergency, to stay with family outside of London. I was desperately searching for a part-time job in London as well as accommodation in the city to be able to pursue my studies. To minimise the cost of my journey, I purchased a ticket at Hassocks for the next station and a second ticket closer to my destination.

This was a grave error of judgment and a decision made under emotional duress, due to the incredible instability of my situation. I deeply regret my actions and recognise the gravity of the offence. I was unaware of the cost of travel fraud to the rail industry and offer my sincerest apologies for my actions. Having learned an invaluable lesson, I am determined to never repeat them, and I have unwaveringly committed to purchasing tickets that cover the entire journey from Hassocks to London since. I have also sought financial assistance from my university, as well as applied for emergency accommodation. My situation may be unstable, but my studies have remained my core focus, as I care deeply for the completion of my degree and for my potential future career.

I must stress how sorry I am and that I understand the repercussions of this mistake can have a serious impact on my ability to continue my studies and find a job thereafter. If possible, I would respectfully ask for this matter to be settled without the need for court action. I am keen for such a settlement to be made and offer to pay the outstanding fare owed as well as to compensate the GTR for the administrative costs in dealing with this matter.

In the hope of a favourable response, I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

----
P.S.: is it best handwritten on the form and sent back, sent back with a separate handwritten letter, or sent back with a separate typed and signed letter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think that will work. You can type it out, that won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.