• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intention to Prosecute - Please Help

Hwar25

I received the below letter from Govia Thameslink setting out their intention to prosecute me for travelling without a valid ticket.

I was travelling from St Albans to Farringdon with a 16-25 railcard discount applied without actually having a valid railcard. The discount had been saved into my Trainline app from when I did have a railcard and I had never disapplied it. My railcard was expired and I had not thought to renew it. I have made all journeys since then with it applied despite not having a valid railcard. I realise that this is a massive oversight and that I should have made sure that my railcard was renewed.

A Revenue Protection Inspector asked to see my railcard at the barriers at Farringdon and I told him that I did not have a copy on my phone. I was travelling to London for a job interview and wanted to get through the barriers quickly as I was worried that being held up would make me late for the interview. I explained this to him and offered to pay the full ticket price, but he declined. He asked whether I did actually have a railcard and I said that I did, but after a while I told him that I thought that it may now be expired (which it obviously was, significantly). He was talking to me for around 10 minutes, and I was getting increasingly agitated because I needed to get to my job interview. He took my details and then let me through the barrier.

A prosecution would be damning to my career given the industry I work in. I know I have made a big mistake and am very keen to settle this issue.

I really do not want this to go to court. I have drafted the below response based on previous advice on the forum and would appreciate people’s thoughts on it.

‘On XXX I made a journey from St Albans to Farringdon using an eticket on Trainline with the 16-25 railcard applied. At Farringdon, a Revenue Protection Inspector asked me to produce my railcard and I was unable to do so as I did not have a copy on my phone. He asked if I actually had a railcard and I said that I did. However, at this point I realised that my railcard had probably expired. I told this to the inspector and offered to pay the full ticket price for my mistake, but he declined and took my details.

After having my details taken, I checked my railcard and it had indeed expired. The 16-25 railcard discount was saved into my Trainline app and I had never disapplied it. I realise that this was a serious oversight, and I immediately purchased a new 16-25 railcard for subsequent travel so that this does not happen again. I take full responsibility for not ensuring that my railcard was renewed before purchasing my train ticket.

I am very eager to settle this matter amicably outside of court. I am fully committed to cooperating and resolving the issue promptly and I am more than happy to pay the outstanding fare for the journey as well as the administrative costs that you have incurred in dealing with the matter.

I am very sorry for the trouble caused. I appreciate the importance of adhering to Govia Thameslink’s rules and regulations when travelling and that travelling with an invalid ticket causes significant costs to the rail industry. As set out, I have purchased a new 16-25 railcard and will ensure that any relevant railcards remain in date so to purchase valid tickets in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you and resolving the matter promptly.

Yours sincerely’

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. This is quite a stressful situation, and I would like to resolve it as quickly as possible. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Letter p1.jpg
    Letter p1.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Letter P2.jpg
    Letter P2.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 24
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ikcdab

To me this reads fine. You probably don't need all the details in the first paragraph as they already know that, but its fine to leave in.
After "I realise that this was a serious oversight" i might add "...and I have never done this before" (assuming this is true).

jfollows

Established Member
If you made earlier journeys paying the railcard discount after the railcard had expired they will want you to pay the full fare for each of these as part of the settlement, because they will be able to see all your Trainline transactions. Factor this in if you're going to calculate the likely cost.

Veteran Member
My only tweak would be to say in para.3, sentence 2
"....and I would be very grateful if you would offer an opportunity to pay..."