• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of intention to prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat101

Hi i am attaching my letter which i was asked to send and i have redacted some personal information and i was wondering will i need to hire a solicitor or is it likely i can reach an out of court settlement. all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Case reference x. My name is x and I had received a letter of a Notice of intention to prosecute (incidence was on the 28th of September 09:02am) which was dated as the 5th of November and I apologise for the late response as I have just seen the letter today as I had moved to a new house and I put my Family address as I didn’t want to miss this letter (Sunday 14thNovember). To give a bit of background about myself I am 23 years, I had recently graduated from my Masters and started my first job at x as a scientist this September.

Since starting my job in the month of September I had been going to Stevenage (into office) every few days and working from home (in London) others. On Tuesday the 28th of September I was running late to work and I had rushed to London St Pancras to get my train to Stevenage. I was attempting to buy the thameslink train ticket for 08:46am on trainline as I normally buy my tickets (x is the email address associated with my trainline account which I buy my tickets from) however while I was outside the barrier I was having issues with my apple pay and my Natwest as it was not letting me purchase the ticket from trainline even though I had sufficient funds in my bank account. I had tried to send money into my revolut bank account and buy a ticket however that was not working (I also recall that week I repeatedly had issues buying tickets but I do not know if that was an issue with trainline, my Applepay or bank account). In panic as I did not want to miss my train, I used my contactless revolut card to get through the barriers and get the train. In a hurry bought an advanced single and an anytime day return ticket which I believe was at 0851am however I did not realise this was a collection code and not the QR code (trainline transaction ID: x, railcard 16-25 ID:x). When the officer had come to me, I showed him my ticket however I was told it was not a valid ticket as it was a collection code. I had apologised to him and had told him what had happened and explained to him that I had not realised that I bought a click to collect ticket as I always get the QR code as its my default setting and I was unable to buy the 0846am train ticket as it was unavailable to buy as the time had passed to buy it and I was really panicking and I just bought my ticket and return ticket. I expressed to him I had no intention of dodging the fare or returning the ticket as I would collect my tickets as I needed my return ticket to come home. I expressed to the officer that this was an unintentional mistake and that I didn’t mean to get a collection code and that I was panicking while trying to buy the ticket.

I would like to sincerely apologise for my mistake and I genuinely have never had the intention of fare dodging I have never had any offence like this and I always buy my tickets and there is a record for every time I have on my trainline account. I understand now that I should’ve have been more cautious when buying my ticket, or I should have bought an anytime single earlier in the morning rather than last minute and I am completely at fault. I would appreciate the opportunity to learn from my mistake whilst not tarnishing my record and I understand that this may be a selfish request. I am aware of my duty of conduct and I would never abuse the systems in place. I would also like to express that I am also willing to immediately pay the outstanding fare, any administrative costs that have been incurred and an administrative penalty. I have never had a criminal record and I am extremely scared that this will impact my future and the ability to pursue further education and I would like to ask for your consideration to not persecute me. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and again I would like to sincerely apologise and please do not hesitate to contact me.
I will not be in the country from December 15th to January 22nd as i am on holiday but please feel free to send me any correspondence by email thank you.

Thank you,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi i am attaching my letter which i was asked to send and i have redacted some personal information and i was wondering will i need to hire a solicitor or is it likely i can reach an out of court settlement. all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Case reference x. My name is x and I had received a letter of a Notice of intention to prosecute (incidence was on the 28th of September 09:02am) which was dated as the 5th of November and I apologise for the late response as I have just seen the letter today as I had moved to a new house and I put my Family address as I didn’t want to miss this letter (Sunday 14thNovember). To give a bit of background about myself I am 23 years, I had recently graduated from my Masters and started my first job at x as a scientist this September.

Since starting my job in the month of September I had been going to Stevenage (into office) every few days and working from home (in London) others. On Tuesday the 28th of September I was running late to work and I had rushed to London St Pancras to get my train to Stevenage. I was attempting to buy the thameslink train ticket for 08:46am on trainline as I normally buy my tickets (x is the email address associated with my trainline account which I buy my tickets from) however while I was outside the barrier I was having issues with my apple pay and my Natwest as it was not letting me purchase the ticket from trainline even though I had sufficient funds in my bank account. I had tried to send money into my revolut bank account and buy a ticket however that was not working (I also recall that week I repeatedly had issues buying tickets but I do not know if that was an issue with trainline, my Applepay or bank account). In panic as I did not want to miss my train, I used my contactless revolut card to get through the barriers and get the train. In a hurry bought an advanced single and an anytime day return ticket which I believe was at 0851am however I did not realise this was a collection code and not the QR code (trainline transaction ID: x, railcard 16-25 ID:x). When the officer had come to me, I showed him my ticket however I was told it was not a valid ticket as it was a collection code. I had apologised to him and had told him what had happened and explained to him that I had not realised that I bought a click to collect ticket as I always get the QR code as its my default setting and I was unable to buy the 0846am train ticket as it was unavailable to buy as the time had passed to buy it and I was really panicking and I just bought my ticket and return ticket. I expressed to him I had no intention of dodging the fare or returning the ticket as I would collect my tickets as I needed my return ticket to come home. I expressed to the officer that this was an unintentional mistake and that I didn’t mean to get a collection code and that I was panicking while trying to buy the ticket.

Thank you,
Far too long I would say - most of this is stuff no one will be really interested in to be brutally frank. Only the last para is really helping I would suggest. And if you feel you need to say this much you need more paragraph breaks (pick up a tabloid newspaper and see how long each para is in a typical article for some kind of an idea.

Go for some brutal editing - they won't really care how old you are, what job you do, that you have just been at university, that you have a bank account / phone app that does not work when you need it to (yet must have been standing almost next to the ticket office or several ticket vending machines you could have used) etc etc....

1st para could simply be:
Case reference x. My name is x and I had received a letter of a Notice of intention to prosecute (incidence was on the 28th of September 09:02am) which was dated as the 5th of November and I apologise for the late response as I have just seen the letter today as I had moved to a new house

The whole of the 2nd para can be boiled down to eg

I had no intention to avoid paying a rail fare, and attempted to purchase my ticket on line using my phone before boarding. There was a problem with this so I used my contactless payment card to access the service and immediately bought a ticket using INSERT without realising that I then needed to collect it. Copies of these purchase transaction are attached for you to see. In my rush I had failed to understand this difference.

3rd para could be edited to along these line

I would like to sincerely apologise for my mistake and I genuinely have never had the intention of fare dodging. I have never had any offence like this before and I always buy my tickets and there is a record for every time I have done so on my trainline account.

I understand now that I should’ve have been more cautious when buying my ticket, or I should have bought an anytime single earlier in the morning rather than last minute and I am completely at fault. I would appreciate the opportunity to learn from my mistake whilst not tarnishing my record and I understand that this may be a selfish request. I am aware of my duty of conduct and I would never abuse the systems in place.

I would also like to express that I am also willing to immediately pay the outstanding fare, any administrative costs that have been incurred and an administrative penalty. I have never had a criminal record and I am anxious not to be punished in a way that will adversely affect my future. extremely scared that this will impact my future and the ability to pursue further education and so I would like to ask for your consideration to not persecute me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and again I would like to sincerely apologise and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any other information.

Please note I will not be in the country from December 15th 2021 to January 22nd 2022 as i am on holiday but please feel free to send me any correspondence by email thank you. My e-mail address is: xxxxxxxxx

Yours faithfully

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.