• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Up for minor timetable changes on 26th Jan are:
Villager V1
Stagecoach X1
The Stagecoach X1 (Chesterfield-Nottingham) is only a few weeks old. What are the changes, withdrawal of first and last buses, removal of Sunday service or just running time tweaks?

I can’t imagine there are any improvements planned?

Anyone know what the leadings are like on this service?

Loadings seem pretty low. I used it on Black Friday and there were a surprising number on the 9.06am out of Nottingham - all of whom got off at the Designer Outlet (except me). We picked a good 20 up at South Normanton who appeared to have been waiting for the non existent Trentbarton Nines, most(all?) of whom got off at Alfreton. 3 boarded at Alfreton. I have seen one or two morning journeys leaving the M1 heading into Nottingham with low single figures on, though quite a few on other journeys. I imagine the journeys are being retimed as my bus arrived Chesterfield 11 late causing me to miss my planned onward connecting bus (back ending pulling out as we pulled in). It is much quicker for me heading to Chesterfield than Trent Barton if I can get the driver to pull off the A610 onto the slip road bus stop for me - passengers have already been left behind at our stop due to poor driver recognition of stopping points.

peterblue

Perhaps a good idea is to extend to Sheffield if the resources allow?

It should, on paper at least, be possible to extend one of the many Sheffield-Chesterfield gold services without any extra resources.

I'm sure there would be a few more passengers then from e.g. Clay Cross to Sheffield, Sheffield to Designer Outlet, points between Sheffield/Chesterfield to Nottingham

cnjb8

Established Member
Perhaps a good idea is to extend to Sheffield if the resources allow?

It should, on paper at least, be possible to extend one of the many Sheffield-Chesterfield gold services without any extra resources.

I'm sure there would be a few more passengers then from e.g. Clay Cross to Sheffield, Sheffield to Designer Outlet, points between Sheffield/Chesterfield to Nottingham
I believe they are making the 43 more frequent from Jan 26 2020 as well.

I believe they are making the 43 more frequent from Jan 26 2020 as well.

Weekday 43 is currently every 20 minutes. From January reduced to every 30 minutes but with an additional hourly short Dronfield-Sheffield giving a 15/15/30 on that section. Believe the short will be coordinated with the hourly 44 to give a 15 minute headway into/out of Sheffield.

cnjb8

Established Member
Weekday 43 is currently every 20 minutes. From January reduced to every 30 minutes but with an additional hourly short Dronfield-Sheffield giving a 15/15/30 on that section. Believe the short will be coordinated with the hourly 44 to give a 15 minute headway into/out of Sheffield.
That's it.i knew it was something like that

derbybusdepot

Wouldn't it be kinder to just kill it off ?

I used this service last Friday, at peak time from Clifton park and ride, and it was surprisingly nearly full. I was also under the impression it carried few passengers, but maybe it does well/better now. Not sure, but perhaps the airport provide some funding too? The scanias on there have stood the test of time too, still up to the job. Cant see how a new E200 MMC is much of a progression from a passengers point of view, although im sure it is on paper with improved fuel economies etc.

Pigalle

Cant see how a new E200 MMC is much of a progression from a passengers point of view, although im sure it is on paper with improved fuel economies etc.

They are not. As a regular user of the Trent Barton E200 MMCs they are a step backwards from what went before in my view: cramped seating and poor ride (jerky transmission and harsh braking) being the two obvious areas where they are a worse passenger experience.

Bwsbro

The Stagecoach X1 (Chesterfield-Nottingham) is only a few weeks old. What are the changes, withdrawal of first and last buses, removal of Sunday service or just running time tweaks?

I can’t imagine there are any improvements planned?

According to the Stagecoach website minor timetable changes to peak time journeys

cnjb8

Established Member
They are not. As a regular user of the Trent Barton E200 MMCs they are a step backwards from what went before in my view: cramped seating and poor ride (jerky transmission and harsh braking) being the two obvious areas where they are a worse passenger experience.
I think they're better than the Rainbow One Versa's and I'm sure i4 passengers were relieved to see those awful Tempo SRs replaced by MMCs.
But I do prefer the Volvo Wright Eclipse's.

Pigalle

I think they're better than the Rainbow One Versa's and I'm sure i4 passengers were relieved to see those awful Tempo SRs replaced by MMCs.
But I do prefer the Volvo Wright Eclipse's.

You see, I disagree with you there. For me it is always a pleasure to travel on a Rainbow One Versa after one of the E200 MMCs. I do, though, agree with you about the Volvos; best bus in the TB fleet in my opinion, and always a joy when one turns up on the Red Arrow ;)

derbybusdepot

4 more E200 Mmcs have arrived, said to be at Langley Mill. 142 to 145. 3 are for The Cotgrave and 1 spare. No further details yet. Meant to be in use by 6th Jan.

Some doubt about if/when any electric Mmcs are due for mickleover. Not sure the funding being at least partly used to buy them is still available?

derbybusdepot

Evening and Sunday route 11 Derby to Ilkeston axed from 20th February. Derbyshire County Council are funding the daytime route 59 from Dec 27th, previously commercially operated by yourbus. The two routes both connect Derby West Hallam and Ilkeston.

Pigalle

Some doubt about if/when any electric Mmcs are due for mickleover. Not sure the funding being at least partly used to buy them is still available?

I’d be more worried about the electric charging points if the City Council are involved given how long it’s taken them to repair one set of automatic doors at the bus station!

cnjb8

Established Member
4 more E200 Mmcs have arrived, said to be at Langley Mill. 142 to 145. 3 are for The Cotgrave and 1 spare. No further details yet. Meant to be in use by 6th Jan.

The Volvos are apparently to transfer to Skylink Express.

cnjb8

Established Member
Arriva have teared up the East Mids Airport contract. The Merc-Benz arctics have left the fleet while the Enviro200 MMCs went to Shrewsbury some time ago.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Arriva have teared up the East Mids Airport contract. The Merc-Benz arctics have left the fleet while the Enviro200 MMCs went to Shrewsbury some time ago.

I'm not sure what Arriva 'has teared up' but if you mean that they no longer operate the car park services at EMA then that has been the case for some time now. No contract has been torn up, the car parks serviced by Arriva have been closed for the winter period and no buses are therefore needed. They are expected to reopen in the Spring but I'm not aware of any confirmed bus operator.

Established Member
Up for minor timetable changes on 26th Jan are:
Villager V1
Stagecoach X1
Most if not all the new timetables for the January changes are now on derbysbus.info website.

The villager is mainly just tweaks by 5 or 10 mins but the main change being that the random 15/45 min gap in the morning towards Derby has been removed by making the bus do a loop of burton twice.

cnjb8

Established Member
I'm not sure what Arriva 'has teared up' but if you mean that they no longer operate the car park services at EMA then that has been the case for some time now. No contract has been torn up, the car parks serviced by Arriva have been closed for the winter period and no buses are therefore needed. They are expected to reopen in the Spring but I'm not aware of any confirmed bus operator.
I have heard teared up as Arriva have disposed of the buses.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I have heard teared up as Arriva have disposed of the buses.

??? - if you mean that the contract was 'torn up' then, as I've already tried to explain, the contract finished because the car parks are closed for the winter.
The 2 artics are withdrawn and the 4 x E20D MMCs have been sent to Shrewsbury for services there for a while.

cnjb8

Established Member
??? - if you mean that the contract was 'torn up' then, as I've already tried to explain, the contract finished because the car parks are closed for the winter.
The 2 artics are withdrawn and the 4 x E20D MMCs have been sent to Shrewsbury for services there for a while.
Yes I know. What I've heard is people saying its torn up. Whether there right or wrong will be proven soon

cnjb8

Established Member
TrentBartons new Enviro200 MMCs for Cotgrave are in service, with 144 (YY69 TMV) operating the sunday service.

They are numbered and registered like this:
142 YY69 TMO The Cotgrave
143 YY69 TMU The Cotgrave
144 YY69 TMV The Cotgrave
145 YY69 TMX Mango Card

cnjb8

Established Member
TrentBartons new Enviro200 MMCs for Cotgrave are in service, with 144 (YY69 TMV) operating the sunday service.

They are numbered and registered like this:
142 YY69 TMO The Cotgrave
143 YY69 TMU The Cotgrave
144 YY69 TMV The Cotgrave
145 YY69 TMX Mango Card
145 is not in Mango livery, it is in a mango base with TrentBarton fleetnames.

cnjb8

Established Member
LJ55 BTE has been acquired by AOT Coaches from Arriva London.
MCT 612 is a Yutong TC9 for Skills Coaches but I dont know about former reg or owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.