• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnjb8

Established Member
Hulleys of Baslow have purchased a Wright Eclipse Urban bodied Volvo B7RLE YJ07 PCF from Lancashire United. It does not have a fleet number and is delicensed. Quite surprising they have bought a Volvo when they seemed to be standardising on Optare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Seems like lockdown is lifting slowly (not officially but more businesses calling employees in) in the Nottingham and Derby areas. Bit shocking to see improvements being made already to service levels.
I suppose more people are beginning to go out. When I go for my excercise, I often go across the M1 and it has gradually been getting busier over the past week.

ChrisC

Established Member
Seems like lockdown is lifting slowly (not officially but more businesses calling employees in) in the Nottingham and Derby areas. Bit shocking to see improvements being made already to service levels.

I was surprised that TrentBarton completely cut the 141 route especially as it passes both Nottingham City Hospital and Kings Mill Hospital. I know it runs a roundabout route between Nottingham and Mansfield but it serves lots of villages and I would have thought a few buses a day for key workers may have been possible. Interestingly on the Saturday, on the last day it ran, I was walking just north of Hucknall and a 141 bus passed me with 5 passengers aboard. It was the only bus I saw with any passengers as a number of Three’s passed me with zero passengers. I do suspect that the 141 will be one of the last services to be restored.

Established Member
I think part of the problem is that some companies like Bombardier for example shut down for two weeks and reopened last week. I don't know if that had much of an impact or any other businesses taking a similar approach.

AndyW33

I think part of the problem is that some companies like Bombardier for example shut down for two weeks and reopened last week. I don't know if that had much of an impact or any other businesses taking a similar approach.
As far as the Skylink journeys are concerned, East Midlands Airport is now jostling for the position of the UK's second busiest airport. Not with passenger services of course, but with increased freight activity, and the ground handling, package sorting, and onward road delivery actually needs more people than it did in "normal" times.

kevjs

As far as the Skylink journeys are concerned, East Midlands Airport is now jostling for the position of the UK's second busiest airport. Not with passenger services of course, but with increased freight activity, and the ground handling, package sorting, and onward road delivery actually needs more people than it did in "normal" times.
Is it still second? Sure I remember reading it was the UK's second busiest Cargo airport (after Heathrow) and also about 95% of cargo at Heathrow was on passenger jets. Wonder if all the dedicated freighter aircraft at EMA and the lack of passeger flights at Heathrow have switched the balance?

AndyW33

Is it still second? Sure I remember reading it was the UK's second busiest Cargo airport (after Heathrow) and also about 95% of cargo at Heathrow was on passenger jets. Wonder if all the dedicated freighter aircraft at EMA and the lack of passeger flights at Heathrow have switched the balance?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52323416 shows current stats by plane movement.
Although passenger flights at Heathrow are way down, they do still exist. Additionally, some flights that normally have large cargo loads are operating using the usual passenger planes, but as cargo only - for example BA are operating two round trips to Shanghai from Heathrow most days, without a single passenger but with the holds packed full.

Established Member
Would make sense being in the middle of the UK. I did see a few planes on the way in on Monday night being on the flight path depending on the wind.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
EMA has been important for air freight for many years. Along with its position near the centre of gravity of the UK population, it has no late night flight ban.

kevjs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52323416 shows current stats by plane movement.
Although passenger flights at Heathrow are way down, they do still exist. Additionally, some flights that normally have large cargo loads are operating using the usual passenger planes, but as cargo only - for example BA are operating two round trips to Shanghai from Heathrow most days, without a single passenger but with the holds packed full.
Thanks the switch to Cargo Flights at Heathrow makes sense.

EMA has been important for air freight for many years. Along with its position near the centre of gravity of the UK population, it has no late night flight ban.
The lack of a of late night flight ban is really obvious - see more turning to line up with the runway at night than I do in the day - see plenty of DHL and UPS ones doing that, actually can't remember the last time I saw a passenger plan from here in West Bridgford!

darloscott

Thanks the switch to Cargo Flights at Heathrow makes sense.

The lack of a of late night flight ban is really obvious - see more turning to line up with the runway at night than I do in the day - see plenty of DHL and UPS ones doing that, actually can't remember the last time I saw a passenger plan from here in West Bridgford!
DHL have a fairly major hub at EMA, while UPS have three flights that pass through on their way to the main hub in Cologne. Amazon also run I think 11 flights a day in and out of EMA, plus there is two FedEx flights to their hub in Liege. Royal Mail also have a hub at EMA with 11 or 12 aircraft a night. So it's a pretty major cargo point.

cnjb8

Established Member
Hulleys of Baslow have purchased a Wright Eclipse Urban bodied Volvo B7RLE YJ07 PCF from Lancashire United. It does not have a fleet number and is delicensed. Quite surprising they have bought a Volvo when they seemed to be standardising on Optare.
I don't know if this true, but Hulleys of Baslow have acquired Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini BX55 XNT.
Also Trent Barton's 732 and 734 are in H1 livery. Photos on Facebook

Established Member
I don't know if this true, but Hulleys of Baslow have acquired Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini BX55 XNT.
Also Trent Barton's 732 and 734 are in H1 livery. Photos on Facebook
Interesting considering 733 has goon to Kinchbus. Presumably the old rapid one volvos will be heading to the H1 as well

cnjb8

Established Member
Interesting considering 733 has goon to Kinchbus. Presumably the old rapid one volvos will be heading to the H1 as well
Kinch still need Volvo's so I think that the ex Rapid One Volvo's will go to them now.

cnjb8

Established Member
Ok so kinchbus are getting some for spares? And then 7 for the H1 to replace the versas.
How come the H1 Versas are being replaced with older vehicles?
Do the Volvo's have a larger capacity? If they are then it could be something to do with yourbus going.
As far as I am aware, Kinch was going to get 732, 733, 734 and 735 to replace the Solars or Tempos. 732 and 734 have now gone to Langley Mill for H1, which had two frequency increases last year. The first one was before Yourbus ceased and an extra Versa was painted for it. The second came after Yourbus ceased, but no extra buses were painted, so the Volvo's are covering this. The Versas are not being replaced. If Kinch are still recieving 4 Volvos, then I imagine that 726 and 727 will be in Loughborough after all this blows over.
This may not be true, but is an educated guess on what I have read.

Pigalle

More service improvements on TB from Monday. Welcome back weekday services on the Allestree, Comet, Swift, 90 and 141

It also looks like the nines are losing their weekday service but gaining a Sunday service instead.

Established Member
More servic improvements on TB from Monday. Welcome back weekday services on the Allestree, Comet, Swift, 90 and 141

It also looks like the nines are losing their weekday service but gaining a Sunday service instead.
Clicking on the nines timetable the 9.1 returns and will run every 15 mins Monday to Saturday daytime with the 9.3 but no Sunday service still.

Pigalle

Clicking on the nines timetable the 9.1 returns and will run every 15 mins Monday to Saturday daytime with the 9.3 but no Sunday service still.

I did wonder it was a mistake on the webpage although I see the webpage has been updated to reflect a service reduction, not a service increase. I presume the timetable is correct

Andy Pacer

Established Member
As far as I am aware, Kinch was going to get 732, 733, 734 and 735 to replace the Solars or Tempos. 732 and 734 have now gone to Langley Mill for H1, which had two frequency increases last year. The first one was before Yourbus ceased and an extra Versa was painted for it. The second came after Yourbus ceased, but no extra buses were painted, so the Volvo's are covering this. The Versas are not being replaced. If Kinch are still recieving 4 Volvos, then I imagine that 726 and 727 will be in Loughborough after all this blows over.
This may not be true, but is an educated guess on what I have read.
Is it still assumed the case that the arrivals at Kinch will see off the Tempos?

cnjb8

Established Member
YJ07 PCF is now numbered 16 and repainted. Also purchased by Hulleys from RATP Londons Quality Line are Optare Solo M880s YJ11 EJA and YJ09 MHN numbered 4 and 10 respectively while they have also purchased former Blackpool Transport Optare Solo M950 YJ07 EJC with another due from that batch. Finally, BX55 XNT is now numbered 2.

Derby Bus Depot reports that ADL have restarted production on the Rainbow One and Skylink Derby Alexander-Dennis Enviro200 MMCs, while Notts & Derby Optare Solo R29 BUS has been scrapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.