• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
For those who don't already know, NCTs order of enviro 400s are now arriving. The first six are spares and the next ones are for the 43 (11 reg omnidekkas currently*) and the ones after that are for the 77 (10 reg omnidekkas currently)

*excluding one 10 reg, which funnily enough was the spare from the batch for the 77

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I've heard rumours about GO2 yellow, which would have 11/12

WillPS

Established Member
Update on the Derby- Heanor competition:

Y1 is now running every 15 minutes to match the H1
H1 is getting brand new Versas this weekend, with the new interior, but also featuring 4G free wifi, which will give better speeds than that on Y1. I'd imagine an email will be sent along the lines of "our buses are newer than yours now, you'd better take the big sign with "new buses" on off the side of yours" ;)

Why? The claim is still accurate.

trentside

Established Member
I've just received a message that K&H Doyle of Alfreton have ceased trading, can anyone substantiate?

ALIEN14247

I heard it this afternoon.
As there are tendered services involved I guess all the local operators will have been made aware.

pjnathanail

I heard it this afternoon.
As there are tendered services involved I guess all the local operators will have been made aware.

I've just received a message that K&H Doyle of Alfreton have ceased trading, can anyone substantiate?

Is this confirmed anywhere online?
Does anybody have any news of services running tomorrow under other operators, if any?

trentside

Established Member
Is this confirmed anywhere online?
Does anybody have any news of services running tomorrow under other operators, if any?

Confirmed by the Nottinghamshire County Council website.

Service replacements are as follows;

• 4 - No replacement at present
  • 17/18 - Stagecoach
  • 19 - No replacement at present
  • 145 - Stagecoach
  • 228 - Littles
  • 331 - Limited replacement by A&S Coaches*
  • 332 - No replacement at present

* The 331 is currently only being replaced between Selston Church and Phoenix Park, other sections are not currently operating.

Alternatives are currently being sought for the other routes.

Last edited:

harry42

Following Doyles Coaches ceasing trading on Monday evening, the following service changes have occurred, or will occur this week where dates are given.

DERBYSHIRE

Service 143 - Ripley to Belper via Ambergate

Service 144 - Ripley to Crich via Ambergate

Service 148 - Alfreton to Codnor via Ripley

Service 151 - Alfreton to Peasehill Estate via Outseats Estate

Service 152 - Alfreton to Lower Birchwood via Somercotes

Service 153 - Alfreton Meadow Lane local service

YourBus will operate all the above services from Wednesday 15th January, and will run to the same timetables as normal.

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

Service 4 - Mansfield to Mansfield Woodhouse

Nottsbus will operate this service from Thursday 16th January, and will run to a revised timetable, which is available at http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/large-static/nottsbus/timetables/NOT4.htm

Service 17 - Oak Tree to Sutton via Forest Town and Mansfield

Stagecoach are operating this service, and are running to the same timetable as normal.

Service 18 - Mansfield to Crown Farm via Berry Hill and Oak Tree

Stagecoach are operating this service, and are running to the same timetable as normal.

Service 19 - Mansfield to Berry Hill

Nottsbus will operate this service from Thursday 16th January, and will run to a revised timetable, which is available at http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/large-static/nottsbus/timetables/NOT19.htm

Service 145 - Blidworth to Sutton via Kirkby

Service 228 - Hucknall to Bulwell via Bestwood Village

Littles Travel are operating this service, and are running to the same timetable as normal.

Service 331 - Nottingham to Alfreton via Moorgreen and Pinxton

A&S Coaches are operating this service, and are running to a revised timetable, operating between Selston and Phoenix Park only. There will be NO replacement on other sections of the route. The revised timetable is available at http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/large-static/nottsbus/timetables/ASC331.htm

Service 332 - Eastwood to Alfreton via Moorgreen and Pinxton

A&S Coaches will operate this service from Wednesday 15th January, and will run to a revised timetable, operating between Selston and Eastwood only. There will be NO replacement on other sections of the route. The revised timetable is available at http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/large-static/nottsbus/timetables/ASC331.htm

(C) Your EMTS

Are a Leicester firm really running the 331/2? This route is a dead loss since it was cut out of Nottingham. Carries a few OAPs into Eastwood in the daytime & thats about it.

harry42

Note yourbus timetable says buses will have 23 seats. What bus that they have could this be? (Alfreton circular)

trentside

Established Member
Note yourbus timetable says buses will have 23 seats. What bus that they have could this be? (Alfreton circular)

The timetables they've uploaded are taken straight from the Derbyshire County Council tender documents - so the 23 refers to the minimum seating requirement of the contract. I do wonder what vehicles they will be using, though!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Just to update this, it appears that Yourbus have re-activated the former Nottingham University Hopper buses 3601/2 (Volvo B7RLE / Plaxton Centro) and 1402/3 (Enviro300) - these had previously been advertised for sale with Ensign of Purfleet. I've seen photographs of the latter working the 140/141 contracts, with Streetlites on the ex-Doyles services around Alfreton.

Last edited:

harry42

I know. Just wondering why they wouldn't want to keep these for the new contract work. Must be pretty short now!

trentside

Established Member
I know. Just wondering why they wouldn't want to keep these for the new contract work. Must be pretty short now!

Those were withdrawn some months ago, when Tuxford closed.

According to a post on the Yourbus Yahoo Group the new contracts require an additional four vehicles, which is covered through the reinstatement of the former Uni Hopper vehicles. There are also imminent plans to withdraw 3603-6, the Wright bodied Volvo B7RLEs, so from the looks of things they're not short at all.

harry42

According to a post on the Yourbus Yahoo Group the new contracts require an additional four vehicles, which is covered through the reinstatement of the former Uni Hopper vehicles. There are also imminent plans to withdraw 3603-6, the Wright bodied Volvo B7RLEs, so from the looks of things they're not short at all.

Oh ok, cheers :D

winston270twm

Established Member

The four ex Rotala B7RLE's were for sale in last weeks Routeone

harry42

A few updates for you all:

- Yourbus taking over notts and derby 14 fully.
- Reports from a TB fan FB page that say Yourbus are putting trainer driving vehicles on the sixes route...who knows?
- NCTX are/have withdrawn the 37 and 14 and have promised double deckers on the 35 later this year.
- Y5: Following passenger feedback, we're altering the route of service Y5 from 16 February 2014. The route will revert back to serving Depot Corner via Attenborough Lane

Due to this change, stops on Bye Pass Road will no longer be served.

- We're altering the route of service Y28 from 16 February 2014 - giving passengers in the Glaisdale Drive area a direct link to Nottingham City Centre - 7 days a week, day and night.

Due to this change, Bilborough College will no longer be served but the service can still be caught at Burnside Green.

- Zig Zag Choo Choo! In partnership with the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway!
- Oh and TB now have an instagram account!

:lol::lol:There you go!

G0ORC

Hi all,

With the comment above about YourBus and the Sixes route - as yet unsubstatiated, I've seen nothing and I'm a regular used of the 6s - I just wonder what the general opinion is of just how long YourBus can keep this predatory operation up.

Personal observations on their services at Derby give me the impression that City Link is a total flop - I've never seen any of these services carrying more than 10 -15 passengers, and that's at peak. Two or three is the norm while people seem to be queing to get on Red Arrow with buses leaving full or near to full.

Again from personal observation at the Derby end the Heanor route in direct competition with H1 is also similarly afflicted. Perhaps a few more at peak but carrying very few at other times whilst the H1 seems very well loaded.

What's the view on this - it can't be cheap operating virtually empty brand new Mercedes vehicles at 4 an hour between Derby & Nottingham and the same to Heanor.

What's their financial state and just who is bank rolling what, on the face of it, are two heavily loss making routes from what appears to be a loss making organisation. If its the banks then surely they will have to call a halt at sometime.

Last edited:

harry42

Firstly, could I just state I am not biased against any (unlike some on here.)

Yourbus have many contract routes, have you forgot and also a lot of national express operaions. The Y28 appears to be busy at times and a change of route will help that I think.

Y3 with the extension to Cotmanhay...

Now Y36 must be plodding along nicely but the Citylink, I have to agree, I think is running at a lost.

I reckon a Nottingham Ilkeston fast service couolg go well...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Again from personal observation at the Derby end the Heanor route in direct competition with H1 is also similarly afflicted. Perhaps a few more at peak but carrying very few at other times whilst the H1 seems very well loaded.

What's the view on this - it can't be cheap operating virtually empty brand new Mercedes vehicles at 4 an hour between Derby & Nottingham and the same to Heanor.

CityLink only runs 3 times an hour. Still surprised they've carried on so long with it.

tbone

Firstly, could I just state I am not biased against any (unlike some on here.)

Yourbus have many contract routes, have you forgot and also a lot of national express operaions. The Y28 appears to be busy at times and a change of route will help that I think.

Y3 with the extension to Cotmanhay...

Now Y36 must be plodding along nicely but the Citylink, I have to agree, I think is running at a lost.

I reckon a Nottingham Ilkeston fast service couolg go well...

All of those tendered services were won off operators who had ran them for years which means undercutting operators who have a pretty good idea of what subsidy is needed. A lot were won off Doyle's and look what's happened to them. Tendered services are not a giant pot of cash, particularly with the dead mileage some involve I'd be surprised if some aren't making a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.