• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigalle

yes it is i wonder what they be using on it presumably the debranded locallink solos

i heard the electric buses were going to be used on H1

I was told it was the Mickleover as they are being part-funded by Derby City Council and it is that funding that is delaying their introduction. Because of this delay it was also said that they wouldn’t be in service until 2020.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lukesmith

I was told it was the Mickleover as they are being part-funded by Derby City Council and it is that funding that is delaying their introduction. Because of this delay it was also said that they wouldn’t be in service until 2020.
ok i wonder what would happen to the mmcs on the mickleover then

Llandudno

Established Member
Full details of the new X1 service, travel for a penny during the first week
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promo...x1-stagecoach-gold-chesterfield-to-nottingham

Interesting that Stagecoach have introduced this service following losing the East Midlands Rail franchise.

Excellent idea and even a 2300 return from Nottingham on Saturday evenings.

Hopefully it will be successful and maybe the X17 from Barnsley and Sheffield which terminates at Chesterfield could be extended to Nottingham to create some useful cross Chesterfield links like Clay Cross and all the new housing on Derby Road, Wingerworth to Sheffield etc.

Mugby

Established Member
Quite some difference in fares between Alfreton and Chesterfield comparing X1 with TrentBarton's 'Comet'

X1, £3.50 single, £6.00 return.
Comet, £4.70 single, £6.50 return (zig-zag)

chessie

I have just had a walk through Chesterfield Town Centre and every other Stagecoach bus seems to be advertising the introduction of the X1 today with penny travel for first week of service.

As per comments above fares seem very good. I would also look at extending the X1 back to Sheffield if the current route becomes successful as additionally there is also a good student flow at both Nottingham and Sheffield to the intermediary towns en-route that would no doubt change mode of travel from the train if the price was right.

ChrisC

Established Member
Interesting that although the X1 is limited stop for most of the route, it seems to be stopping at most stops between Alfreton Bus Station and East Midlands Designer Outlet. Quite sensible because that part of Alfreton and South Normanton do not have any direct buses to Nottingham. It’s quite a densely populated area close to the Nottinghamshire border that currently only has buses to Derby and Mansfield. It’s also an area, although in Derbyshire, which probably looks more towards Nottingham than it does Derby. I can see people from the South Normanton area using the X1 to visit Nottingham for shopping etc in the future instead of Trent Barton Nines to Derby.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
With them adding 50 vehicles to the license of Preston bus, could we potentially now see internal fleet transfers from Yourbus to Diamond?

If they've ceased trading they won't be able to do anything until an Administrator has been appointed. Then anyone can buy any assets.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
No great loss really. I guess Trent, Nottingham and Arriva will be celebrating.
I wouldn't say that

Aside from the staff who are now affected, they'll be plenty of people who were inconvenienced this morning. It'll be a headache for Derbyshire CC as well.

Certainly, TrentBarton et al will be happy that a competitor has gone but would always be better to have a structured orderly close down than this.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
With them adding 50 vehicles to the license of Preston bus, could we potentially now see internal fleet transfers from Yourbus to Diamond?
That move might point to an acquisition more locally. Adding discs means expanded operations.

Don't think the acquisition is to be Yourbus. Were this to be a pre-pack, you'd have expected them to keep operating?

Alexbus12

That move might point to an acquisition more locally. Adding discs means expanded operations.

Don't think the acquisition is to be Yourbus. Were this to be a pre-pack, you'd have expected them to keep operating?

From Simon Dunn on the West Mindlands Bus Forum or what ever it's called...

Rotala looked at acquiring YourBus through its Preston Bus Ltd subsidiary, and hence why there was an additional operating centre added.

In the end we couldn't agree a deal.

Simon

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I wouldn't say that

Aside from the staff who are now affected, they'll be plenty of people who were inconvenienced this morning. It'll be a headache for Derbyshire CC as well.

Certainly, TrentBarton et al will be happy that a competitor has gone but would always be better to have a structured orderly close down than this.

It really is no great loss. They only did a bit of tendered work, all the rest was competitive against the established operators. No effort ever put in by Yourbus, no risks taken, just targeting routes that kept the established operators profitable.
Their National Express work was rubbish and they lost all the contracts after some serious issues arose. Their demise, without any forewarning, is only what you might have expected from such an operator. The industry as a whole is better off without them.

It really is no great loss. They only did a bit of tendered work, all the rest was competitive against the established operators. No effort ever put in by Yourbus, no risks taken, just targeting routes that kept the established operators profitable.

Quite a bit of tendered work - Ashbourne/Matlock area 110-111-113-114-216-217. Alfreton/Ripley/Heanor/Ilkeston/Sandiacre areas 11-14-29-138-147-148-151-152-153. The commercial Y10 & Y59 were also not in competiton with anyone. That has left a large number of villages/residential areas bus free today!

winston270twm

Established Member
Quite a bit of tendered work - Ashbourne/Matlock area 110-111-113-114-216-217. Alfreton/Ripley/Heanor/Ilkeston/Sandiacre areas 11-14-29-138-147-148-151-152-153. The commercial Y10 & Y59 were also not in competiton with anyone. That has left a large number of villages/residential areas bus free today!

No doubt they'll soon picked up by another operator!

Sprinter153

It’s a shame to see them go. I used the Y5, 20 and 26 regularly and I found them to be reliable, good value and customer-focused. They were a refreshing antidote to the slapdash Arriva operation in Derby and Trentbarton’s tendency to over-promise and under-deliver (more so since Alex Hornby left).

No doubt they'll soon picked up by another operator!

But who? It's only a few years since the demise of Doyles. Holmes have stopped service work. Littles run the Crich and Alfreton area tenders. High Peak might consider the Matlock/Ashbourne but it's a fair way from Dove Holes. And I suppose companies such as Littles/Hulleys etc have only so many spare vehicles/drivers to call on at short notice......

Anthony ross

Just seen this on Hulleys twitter page

Attachments

• B5380F55-194A-4F9A-A525-6AC1240D5A33.png
    B5380F55-194A-4F9A-A525-6AC1240D5A33.png
    415.3 KB · Views: 108

carlberry

Established Member
But who? It's only a few years since the demise of Doyles. Holmes have stopped service work. Littles run the Crich and Alfreton area tenders. High Peak might consider the Matlock/Ashbourne but it's a fair way from Dove Holes. And I suppose companies such as Littles/Hulleys etc have only so many spare vehicles/drivers to call on at short notice......
In cases like this the local large operator can usually step in to cover a lot of work quickly as they have enough management staff available to deal with the planning and interviewing, plus they can usually call on a few spare vehicles. For the staff it's usually a case of how willing the closing operator is to contact it's ex staff so that other operators can get in touch with them

ag51ruk

Notts and Derby may be interested in the stuff around Ashbourne and Belper, they already do a fair bit on contract to Derbyshire County Council. They may be able to take on some of the ex Yourbus drivers. Many passengers will have lost money on their Yourbus smart cards unless the administrators are able to eventually pay that back.

In separate news, Trent are launching their new ticket machines on Sunday 6th October. Had an email from them today saying the new machines can't accept Mango or Robin Hood cards so they are also leaving the old machines (presumably just the readers currently used to check out but modified to check in as well?) All seems a bit odd, will be interested to see how it works in practice.

winston270twm

Established Member

Someone will cover them, give them chance! Yourbus only ceased trading this morning....

There's currently a load of unemployed Yourbus drivers..... so drivers shouldn't currently be an issue.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Not good and that looks like a long list, but it's about 14 buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.