• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham Express Transit - Reliability & Renewals (2023-2024)

Jozhua

Established Member
Just one day before a large portion of the network is to be offline for scheduled maintenance, the whole tram network has had a communications failure that means no trams are running.

This failure is almost certainly an IT issue, rather than a more typical maintenance task, but it has followed what feels like an increasing rate of failures following fairly reasonable reliability over Winter.

Obviously we have had the Bulwell derailment, significant disruption due to two major police incidents in short succession (including a death on a tram at Highbury Vale), a number of power issues and tram failures.

As someone who relies on the trams, I want to see the system flourish, but frustratingly it seems like the maintenance backlog is causing severe issues at NET.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I was thinking about this today too. I can’t recall this happening at all in the past but it has now happened 3(?) times this year. It does seem rather odd. Their Twitter isn’t the best either…

I see that today at 12.58 they tweeted about still having no service due to the communications issue. What did they tweet two minutes later? I assume (hope) it was a timed tweet :lol:
We’re excited to bring you an improved network on the 1st September! To ensure everything runs smoothly, there will be temporary station closures and a replacement bus service in place. Visit brnw.ch/21wBJGJ for more information.
As an aside, describing track replacement works as bringing an improved network is a bit odd. I wonder when they’ll be sorting all the TSRs that seem to be popping up on the network

Last edited:

Jozhua

Established Member
Wasn't expecting the issues to drag through the day! Looks like I'll be walking home too...

Their twitter is okay, but honestly I think people would be little more patient if they opened up a little more about what's going on.

I've found the national rail network has become better generally over time about providing details as to why delays have occured and I think it calms passengers down a lot. Nothing more maddening than a delay for no apparent reason, or something very nebulous such as 'communications'.

MCR247

Established Member
I think when this problem has occurred before it has been no service all day. I wouldn’t be surprised if the morning service is disrupted too

Jozhua

Established Member
I think when this problem has occurred before it has been no service all day. I wouldn’t be surprised if the morning service is disrupted too
Yikes, probably going to be another walk to work for me tomorrow.

I do wonder how they are going to move trams to the other side of the planned maintenance works starting tonight so they can run services on the other routes during the works?

Edit (Answered my own question):
Screenshot_20230817-200743.png

cnjb8

Established Member
I try and avoid using the tram now especially after the recent reliability issues and price rises. From my house to Nottingham, its almost half the price to get the bus over the tram now

Last edited:

Jozhua

Established Member
NET have released a statement on their social media accounts regarding the issues yesterday:
F3z67OtWkAAmdPc.png
Unfortunately these sorts of centralised IT systems are somewhat failure prone. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a single server that managed to bring down the radio system - from what I've seen of drivers interacting with it in the cab, it is reasonably sophisticated.

Regarding ongoing maintenance/budgetary issues, it is clear that NET are in a period of adjustment as the oldest track and rolling stock approach their 20th year of intensive operation and begin to show wear. This probably isn't just a budgetary strain, it is also going to be a learning experience for staff and management at the firm.

Regarding Budgetary Issues

Fortunately, large shareholder owned companies in the UK provide public access to their accounts and NET, or Tramlink Nottingham Limited, is no exception:
https://find-and-update.company-inf...c1OWFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

One of my friends dug through and made an observation regarding the way NET calculates depreciation:
Screenshot 2023-08-18 182701.png
Note all Phase Two assets are rather crudely calculated to reach the end of their useful life in 18.5 years, presumably once the PFI repayment term ends.

Of course, NET will continue to maintain the infrastructure and keep it in working order over that time, therefore one could make the point that, unless the entire of phase two has been rigged with explosives to detonate exactly 18.5 years after the construction contractors handed it over to Tramlink to operate, this depreciation calculation is somewhat crude and irrelevant. It's more of a paper exercise to keep the investors and their accountants happy. The only caveat is that this charge also counts computers and office equipment, which will probably have a value in the region of £1,000,000. This nets us a yearly depreciation of approximately £333,000. As we'll see in a minute, chump change relative to phase two depreciation 'estimate'.
Screenshot 2023-08-18 183116.png
Here is the profit and loss account for Tramlink in FY 2022. Recorded loss before taxation is £20,424,000. However, let's go to note number 3...
Screenshot 2023-08-18 183132.png
As seen in note number 3, operating profit is stated after crediting and charging the following:
+ £12,559,000 DfT Covid grant.
- £46,000 payable to auditors EY.
- £25,153,000 in estimated depreciation (if phase two was levelled with artillery bombardment exactly 18.5 years following construction).

Let's do some napkin maths:
Removal of depreciation estimate gives us an 'operating profit' of £39,911,000 versus £14,758,000.
This gives us a profit before taxation of £4,729,000 versus £-20,425,000

Remember, this is after repayments on PFI loans are taken off, the lot. So really, the tram system financially isn't in as dire straights as it is often made out to be.

I try and avoid using the tram now especially after the recent reliability issues and price rises. From my house to Nottingham, its almost half the price to get the bus over the tram now
An adult day ticket on the tram is £5, which is £1 more than two £2 discounted bus single fares. That's pretty far off being double the price.

liamf656

Yikes! Can't catch a break can they?

Wonder if a tall vehicle caused the issues.
I’m told just now that a vehicle has hit one of the supporting poles bringing it down along with the wires in the previous linked video

Link to NETs tweet:
A vehicle has hit one of our overhead line poles near the Middle Street tram stop. We currently have no tram service between the University of Nottingham and Cator Lane. Tickets will be accepted on the NCT Orange Line buses.

Jozhua

Established Member

tram21

Makes sense.

NET need to start fining/claiming insurance of people who damage their infrastructure, or get stuck on that bridge towards NG2 and need help to get their vehicles lifted off...if they aren't already of course!

Attachments

• 20230821_100808.jpg
    20230821_100808.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 116

Jozhua

Established Member
Oh dear, it's a little sad at this point!

Fingers crossed it gets fixed quickly, although rumour has it trams are to be out of action tomorrow too.

liamf656

Oh dear, it's a little sad at this point!

Fingers crossed it gets fixed quickly, although rumour has it trams are to be out of action tomorrow too.
The network is split into three tomorrow! Line closures between Wilkinson Street and Old Market Square, and between the University and Cator Lane

BJames

Established Member
The network is split into three tomorrow! Line closures between Wilkinson Street and Old Market Square, and between the University and Cator Lane
Goodness me. A rough patch indeed for NET.

Makes sense.

NET need to start fining/claiming insurance of people who damage their infrastructure, or get stuck on that bridge towards NG2 and need help to get their vehicles lifted off...if they aren't already of course!
That bridge and the idiots who drive around there does my head in. The amount of times people get stuck on there, it's hardly as if signage is inadequate. Last time I was at the station tram stop and that had happened, the tram staff were absolutely exasperated.

Jozhua

Established Member
Power failure between Bulwell and The Forest - no service running at present.

Just a few days after this article was released, after the network recorded its lowest reliability figures to date:

Imo it seems like the management are trying to avoid increasing the maintenance budget due to inflationary pressures on top of the existing monetary 'challenges' they are seeing.

I think to be honest, they need to reduce service to 10m per route during weekdays and save the energy/staff, while freeing up more of the fleet to be in Maintenance. That's still 5m headways on the core of the network, so not too bad.

MCR247

Established Member
It would be pretty bad Tues - Thurs rush hours though imo if they did thag

tram21

It would be bad, but necessary I think, at least temporary, mainly because the peak extras are almost constantly cancelled causing 15 minutes between trams frequently.

The evening service would struggle though!

Jozhua

Established Member
Yeah, I have thought about this, and this certainly isn't perfect, keep the 7m on Hucknall/Toton and drop Phoenix Park/Clifton to 10m. Phoenix Park's would probably bunch up with Hucknall's at certain times, but operating on line of sight, wouldn't be much of an issue.

This is as someone who uses Phoenix Park/Clifton to get to work.

Hucknall is the busier route and definitely needs all the capacity it can get. Over time I wonder how they'll get more capacity on the tram.
( think the most practical solution would be to electrify the Robin Hood line, add infill stations, more frequent service, and make it more similar to something like the cross city line in Brum.)

MCR247

Established Member
Yeah, I have thought about this, and this certainly isn't perfect, keep the 7m on Hucknall/Toton and drop Phoenix Park/Clifton to 10m. Phoenix Park's would probably bunch up with Hucknall's at certain times, but operating on line of sight, wouldn't be much of an issue.

Yes I agree this would make more sense. The bunching already happens anyway in the evenings and when a Clifton - Phoenix Park is a couple of minutes late at Queens Walk and gets stuck behind a Hucknall (which normally waits at the station)

With Clifton/Phoenix Park being the shorter line though I imagine it will only save a couple of trams though.

Jozhua

Established Member
Yes I agree this would make more sense. The bunching already happens anyway in the evenings and when a Clifton - Phoenix Park is a couple of minutes late at Queens Walk and gets stuck behind a Hucknall (which normally waits at the station)

With Clifton/Phoenix Park being the shorter line though I imagine it will only save a couple of trams though.
A couple more trams might be all that is needed to give their maintenance teams chance to catch up! That said, it also depends if they are aware which trams are at risk of failure.

The other option is to purchase new vehicles, purely to allow them more maintenance time. May still be possible on the Alstoms, Metrolink ordered a few more M5000s a number of years after the original fleet.

Looks like the power issue was resolved. Fortunately I didn't have any issues using my season pass on NCT today, which has been an issue in the past. While it was slower than the tram, I find NCT buses to be pretty clean and comfortable.

tram21

Hucknall is the busier route and definitely needs all the capacity it can get. Over time I wonder how they'll get more capacity on the tram.
( think the most practical solution would be to electrify the Robin Hood line, add infill stations, more frequent service, and make it more similar to something like the cross city line in Brum.)
That is an amazing idea, I wonder if NET have the capability to do that- they'll need to consult the county and city council and it would be a big job, but if the unreliability continues it could be a good alternative.

Jozhua

Established Member
That is an amazing idea, I wonder if NET have the capability to do that- they'll need to consult the county and city council and it would be a big job, but if the unreliability continues it could be a good alternative.
Thank you! Probably the first time someone's complimented my idea in all my time posting :oops:

The impression I get in terms of service changes is that NET sets their own agenda for the most part. If it was framed as a move for reliability, they probably have a better chance of getting away with it!

Something probably needs to change though, as things are a lot worse than they were even a couple of years ago when I first moved here.

Jozhua

Established Member
Line closures to take place for track renewals during October.

First is 22nd to 24th of October. No tram service to run between Market Sq and Station. Looks like outer curve rails are being renewed crossing onto the great central bridge, where TSRs have been in place for some time:
Picture1.png
Additionally, drainage/ballast renewals taking place around Cator lane after water main burst between 28th October and 3rd of November. Trams will terminate at University of Nottingham.
image-png-1.png

duffield

Established Member
Line closures to take place for track renewals during October.

First is 22nd to 24th of October. No tram service to run between Market Sq and Station. Looks like outer curve rails are being renewed crossing onto the great central bridge, where TSRs have been in place for some time:

Additionally, drainage/ballast renewals taking place around Cator lane after water main burst between 28th October and 3rd of November. Trams will terminate at University of Nottingham.

[Images removed to prevent unnecessary duplication]
The works at Weekday Cross will probably require the city loop buses to be diverted round the long way (via the ice stadium etc.) so the Lace Market and George Street stops won't be served. Something to watch out for.

Edit: Just looked at the details more closely, it appears Northbound traffic (I.e. the city loop buses) *should* be unaffected.

Last edited:

sprunt

Why would they do that first set of works Sun-Tue rather than Sat-Mon?

Jozhua

Established Member
Why would they do that first set of works Sun-Tue rather than Sat-Mon?
Less weekend overtime payments for contractors?
The works at Weekday Cross will probably require the city loop buses to be diverted round the long way (via the ice stadium etc.) so the Lace Market and George Street stops won't be served. Something to watch out for.

Edit: Just looked at the details more closely, it appears Northbound traffic (I.e. the city loop buses) *should* be unaffected.
The map seems to suggest there should be a thorough route for traffic!