• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This thread follows on from the Nottingham 'Bus War' thread and is to discuss news and other items of interest from the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire areas. Some larger news items may warrant their own thread (for instance if a company in the area were to go bust) but more general discussion covering both cities, the area between them and immediately surrounding them can use this thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Ok, we'll have a referendum! Poll is at the top and will be open for 10 days.

It's always been about Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire - the original bus war strayed well beyond the City boundaries and right out to places like Selston etc.!

chessie

As long as we are fine to continue discussing the likes of Hulleys, who seem to be really innovating for a local bus company at the moment despite everything, places like Ashbourne losing Your Bus and their replacement service providers, even Chesterfield news etc..all of which is very Derbyshire and previously discussed in the Nottinghamshire Bus War thread I am fine for this thread to continue as it is.

However, voted for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire purely for the fact, is there actually a bus war there anymore? Its been really great reading on many occasions through the years but I feel the war ended long ago and the thread has turned into a very good forum representing the current going ons in both counties. Whatever the outcome though, keep it going, its often the best place for local bus news to me

chessie

Hulleys X70 now scheduled to run from Bakewell to Chesterfield Railway Station due to demand on a permanent basis and the X71 from Sheffield to Alton Towers finally commences this weekend, although I cant see many doing the full X71 journey as Alton Towers seems to be fully booked already for many weekends to come

M60lad

One question I've been meaning to ask is that is there a reason why most if not all Trent Barton vehicles have 2 ticket machines in the drivers cab now? Last time I was in/around Derby/Nottingham back before Covid I noticed that they had the old Innit machine still up and working and next to it the new Ticketer machines.

Established Member
One question I've been meaning to ask is that is there a reason why most if not all Trent Barton vehicles have 2 ticket machines in the drivers cab now? Last time I was in/around Derby/Nottingham back before Covid I noticed that they had the old Innit machine still up and working and next to it the new Ticketer machines.
Trent barton still need the init machines for the mango cards. I think this is the same for Kinchbus as well.

cnjb8

Established Member
Rumour has it that the H1 Versa's are going to Kinchbus, with H1 getting more Volvos, apparently YJ11 ENC has transferred to Loughborough.

M60lad

Is there a reason why some of the Versa's that Trent Barton have got are in the same registration sequence as some of the TfGM Hybrid Versa's? I know some operators in Greater Manchester had or have got Versa's in the same YJ11EN registration sequence, could I be right in thinking that the registrations could have been for more Versa's for Trent Barton but they cancelled the order for some reason?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is there a reason why some of the Versa's that Trent Barton have got are in the same registration sequence as some of the TfGM Hybrid Versa's? I know some operators in Greater Manchester had or have got Versa's in the same YJ11EN registration sequence, could I be right in thinking that the registrations could have been for more Versa's for Trent Barton but they cancelled the order for some reason?
All would have been registered by Optare in Sherburn in Elmet, hence the Yorkshire registrations.

cnjb8

Established Member
Just a coincidence

cnjb8

Established Member
Rumour has it that the H1 Versa's are going to Kinchbus, with H1 getting more Volvos, apparently YJ11 ENC has transferred to Loughborough.
Looks like this rumour is true, 726 and 727 are in H1 livery

johnnychips

Established Member
Just as a matter of interest, has anybody been on buses in the Peak District recently, especially from Sheffield? Usually they are packed out with the long summer days and good weather.

And have operators like TM, High Peak and Hulleys been putting socially distance sashes round bus seats like First do in Sheffield, or just leaving it to people’s common sense like Stagecoach seem to do?

darloscott

Just as a matter of interest, has anybody been on buses in the Peak District recently, especially from Sheffield? Usually they are packed out with the long summer days and good weather.

And have operators like TM, High Peak and Hulleys been putting socially distance sashes round bus seats like First do in Sheffield, or just leaving it to people’s common sense like Stagecoach seem to do?
TM’s very limited 218 timetable tells me there’s not been any tourists.

Established Member

On my trips to work in Derby most of the buses that I have seen have been fairly empty with 2 or 3 people on although I havent seen the sixes or Transpeak on ,y travels. Only 2 arriva services I have were full.

As TM is part of wellglade and Trent barton and Kinchbus has taken the common sense approach I would say TM would take the same approach?
TM’s very limited 218 timetable tells me there’s not been any tourists.
Definitely been tourists in cars. They many that the council is now putting double yellow lines down on main roads

Llandudno

Established Member
From what I have witnessed, buses empty, car parks packed - even midweek with so many people furloughed!

More congestion and pollution than ever before.

How and when will the Govt reverse their don’t use public transport message, otherwise many of the commercial bus services in the Peak District won’t be around much longer?

chessie

Hulleys have just changed their policy so that all rows of seats are available for use but unless you are related or part of a bubble, its one person only per bay of two seats.

I had a walk over to Bakewell via Chatsworth a couple of weeks ago and it was eerily quiet in both places when normally they would be heaving, especially as the weather was so nice. I can totally understand TM not restoring full service yet although judging by the significant increase in cars heading that way since restrictions have eased I would say TM may offer more journeys sooner rather than later.

cnjb8

Established Member
Some brand new Enviro arrivals at Langley Mill apparently!

And CT4N have another Solo, YJ54 UXO, formerly with Sheffield Community Transport.

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
Some brand new Enviro arrivals at Langley Mill apparently!
The first Rainbow One buses are registered YX20 OJA, OJB, OJC, OJD, OJE and OJF. While the first Skylink Derby bus is registered YX20 OHA.

ChrisC

Established Member
Trent Barton, on their website, are listing the busiest and quietest times to use their buses on each route. Many routes still appear to be quiet at all times but some routes appear to be busy at certain times of the day. Frequencies on some routes have not been increased for a few weeks now. For example, according to the information the 141 route is busy late morning but this route is still only running roughly 2 hourly.

Established Member
Trent Barton, on their website, are listing the busiest and quietest times to use their buses on each route. Many routes still appear to be quiet at all times but some routes appear to be busy at certain times of the day. Frequencies on some routes have not been increased for a few weeks now. For example, according to the information the 141 route is busy late morning but this route is still only running roughly 2 hourly.
Looking at the listing surprisingly the villager is the busiest route but whenever I have seen it there has been about 3 people on it. I would expect it will be a difficult balance of running services that are mostly running with very few people on but still need to run for distancing and looking after employees as some may still be off or isolating. Midland Classic over in Burton on the other hand has gone for a near normal Weekday service but the Saturday service is largely hourly or 2 hourly or less on the main routes.

Pigalle

More timetable increases coming from Trent Barton

https://trentbarton.co.uk/coronavirus/timetablechangesfromSunday26July

A summary of these changes is outlined below:

From Sunday 26 July
red arrow | every 20 minutes with hourly evening services

V3 | Normal Sunday daytime timetable added with last buses at 6.15pm from Derby and 7.15pm from Burton

the comet | Additional journeys at 7.10pm from Derby and 8.20pm from Chesterfield introduced on Mondays to Saturdays

20 | Normal Sunday timetable reinstated

21 | Evening journeys added Monday to Saturday

H1 | Hourly evening services added Monday to Saturday. Normal Sunday timetable reinstated

ilkeston flyer | Monday to Saturday evening service added

rainbow one | Monday to Saturday evening service added

the two | Monday to Saturday evening service added

the threes | Monday to Saturday evening service added

the calverton | Monday to Saurday evening service added

the keyworth | Monday to Saturday evening service and hourly Sunday daytime service added.

From Sunday 2 August
the sixes | Every 15 minutes, including variations (6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 & 6X).

Established Member
Wow the V3 gets a better Sunday service than the villager which still gets 6 journeys. That's a first.
Trent Barton warning of job cuts https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/bus-firm-trentbarton-says-job-4348350

Says passenger numbers dropped to 10% currently at 30% and expect to only be at 80% in 18-24 months. They are reliant on Government support to break even and expect that support to be stopped at some point.
not surprised really considering all the buses that I have seen have had 3 or 4 people on. I think it will be a while before I will use the bus again as most of the time I use it for work which I am doing at home.

markymark2000

On Moderation
not surprised really considering all the buses that I have seen have had 3 or 4 people on. I think it will be a while before I will use the bus again as most of the time I use it for work which I am doing at home.
I think buses got increased back to 'normal' frequencies too quickly and some of the very frequent routes could and should be slightly reduced to match passenger numbers. Ie 7/8 down to every 10, every 10 down to every 12. Small things like that take a huge amount of buses off the road and help to cover the costs of each bus easier.

I don't think TBs issues are helped by Derby Bus Station being a mess so the routes are from different stopping points depending on the time of day.