• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NVQ Level 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldn13

who have got this and can recommend a college/course or an internet based company that send you the books and what you need etc?

Any advice - pros or cons would be a appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Far north 37

Established Member
Do you not have to be working through a company to achieve a nvq level 3 not sure its something you can achieve of your own back.

Ldn13

Sorry it seems to have cut out the first part of my question??! I’ll start again....

Hi

I Currently work in the railway in a depot, I enjoy my current job but would like to further my skills & earn more money. The role I want to apply for I need an NVQ Level 3 in mechanical or electrical (preferably mechanical).

I need to get it on my own back so was wondering if anyone could recommend a college course or a home study course? I’m happy to pay what it costs. Any feedback would be appreciated?

Stigy

Established Member
Do you not have to be working through a company to achieve a nvq level 3 not sure its something you can achieve of your own back.
You can get a Level 3 NVQ in the same way as a degree through the open university. I don’t see why you’d need to get one through a complete specifically, although often that is the case. As long as it’s not in a specific skill such as Engineering I guess?

I have a L3 NVQ in management and to be honest, I don’t think they’re worth the paper they’re written on a lot of the time. NVQ facilitators will sell it as if it’s the equivalent to a degree, but I don’t think that’s strictly speaking true. Plus, unless you have a particularly professional NVQ ‘teacher’, basically you’ll be awarded the certificate even if you don’t complete the relevant modules.

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry it seems to have cut out the first part of my question??! I’ll start again....

Hi

I Currently work in the railway in a depot, I enjoy my current job but would like to further my skills & earn more money. The role I want to apply for I need an NVQ Level 3 in mechanical or electrical (preferably mechanical).

I need to get it on my own back so was wondering if anyone could recommend a college course or a home study course? I’m happy to pay what it costs. Any feedback would be appreciated?
If you work in a Depot, can the company not sponsor you? Most employers will support staff in terms of development. The only other way is to get a job and start as an apprentice? Do you not currently hold an NVQ 2 in the desired field? If so, there may be the option to upskill?

Ldn13

Thanks for the replies.

If you work in a Depot, can the company not sponsor you? Most employers will support staff in terms of development. The only other way is to get a job and start as an apprentice? Do you not currently hold an NVQ 2 in the desired field? If so, there may be the option to upskill?

My current job in the depot doesn’t require me to have an NVQ just railway experience, I’ve worked on the railway for 7+ years and would like to go down the maintenance side of things which require a level 3 in mechanical. I’ve spoke to people here and they say it’s very long winded for the company to put you through it and don’t know anyone who has managed to get them too. So would just like to find a course that I can do it with and preferably quick as possible.

RHolmes

I have a L3 NVQ in management and to be honest, I don’t think they’re worth the paper they’re written on a lot of the time. NVQ facilitators will sell it as if it’s the equivalent to a degree, but I don’t think that’s strictly speaking true.

It’s usually the equivalent of 2 A-Level qualifications at pass grade (A-C) or that of BTEC level 3 diploma at pass grade

Degree level equivalent is 5-7

So it is worth something and is higher than the usual requirement for GSCE level education, however comparatively speaking is worth less than a standard of an A-level college level education, completed apprenticeship or open university degree in the same field

Just so you are aware, not all TOCs require NVQ for maintenance. An understanding of basic mechanical principles is often sufficient, proven by assessment days and interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.