• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NWR Ballast train at Tuxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsmr

Anyone know what the ballast cleaning train is doing at Tuxford Notts. Its often stabled on the A1 overbridge. Think it was the old Olerton to west Marnham powerstation line which is shown as disused on the OS
often see it there over the last few months although it does move and come back
Just seems strange to stick it there as the locn is a few miles off the network
Nige

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fsmr

Undergoing trials / staff training before coming down to Willesden to work on the WCML.

Ah thanks for that
is it working on the track then or just running up and down
maybe it could become anew preserved line if its been rebuilt !!
On another note is there any where that has times schedules for these trains moving on the network
we used to get one running through Okham last year every evening in the late summer but i never managed to video it as the times varied despite standing around for cpl of hours
would love to film it climbing manton bank
Nigel

Anyone know what the ballast cleaning train is doing at Tuxford Notts. Its often stabled on the A1 overbridge. Think it was the old Olerton to west Marnham powerstation line which is shown as disused on the OS
often see it there over the last few months although it does move and come back
Just seems strange to stick it there as the locn is a few miles off the network
Nige

Ah good someone else that has seen it with its yellow waggons :D

It normaly sit on this railway bridge

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...noid=5VVey_1PM55QGCOuvWiCLQ&cbp=12,349.1,,0,5

Established Member
AFAIK it is doing some work, but only really for training / familiarisation. It is due to come down to Willesden to start working from there in May, but I have not heard exactly when. Once there, it will be out and about on the WCML most nights until at least the end of the year - there should be a chance of seeing it heading north in the light during the summer.

littleroe

Hi the NR ballast cleaning set is being used and stored at tuxford. The line between Thoresby Junction and High marnham powerstation is being used as a new test track. Since November 2009 and for the next few months the line will be under possesion for ballast cleaning works, track replacement and for new crossovers/points to be introduced to increase line speeds upto 70mph. Soon the work will also include the currently operational section of line between Shirebrook and Thoresby Colliery which will see the coal trains using single line working as work will be carried out on the second line.
Also work to reinstate the Bevercotes colliery branch may begin sometime at the close of 2010.
At the site at Tuxford, near to the A1, 1 set of wagons and the main ballast cleaning unit is stored there everyday and is only moved usually between 8-4 Monday to Friday. The other set is stored at the site usually over the weekend unless it is needed on engineering works elsewhere. During the week, the set is brought in from toton at around 7am. Normal traction on the line is DB schenker class 66 top and tail. Class 60's and class 37's can be seen on occasions.
Hope this helps. Any other questions and ill try and help.

cj27

Hi,
I live near the viaduct in Mansfield and have often seen the Ballast train going past, but it is always going in the same direction - from Mansfield Woodhouse towards Mansfield. Does it use another route to come back or is it in the middle of the night so I don't notice it?

littleroe

Same route, it leaves toton just before 6:00 in the morning and arrives in the possession at Thoresby at around 07:00. Then usually leaves the possession in the afternoon between 15:00 - 17:00 depending on the day as some days this may be earlier. As for Saturdays now they operate it between 06:00 and 14:00.
Make the most of it though as works running behind schedule and i think they will be cutting the work short. So may only be in use for the next 3 to 4 weeks! hope this helps...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I got some videos of the ballast cleaner in action at boughton junction, hopefully get some more uploaded on youtube by weekend

cj27

Same route, it leaves toton just before 6:00 in the morning and arrives in the possession at Thoresby at around 07:00. Then usually leaves the possession in the afternoon between 15:00 - 17:00 depending on the day as some days this may be earlier. As for Saturdays now they operate it between 06:00 and 14:00.
Make the most of it though as works running behind schedule and i think they will be cutting the work short. So may only be in use for the next 3 to 4 weeks! hope this helps...

Thanks for that. I'm surprised I've never heard it in the morning...

littleroe

update on the timings and information:

The HOBC stock and 66's have returned to the line after a short period away. The train is now being stored at a different location due to damage and thefts of vital equipment at tuxford. This means the train arrives at thoresby now at around 08:00 and leaves at the similar time of 16:00. I believe that the train now travels via worksop in the morning.
Also keep a lookout for DRS class 37's similar to the 2 ive seen today (17/05/10) that have brought the stone blowing equipment into the test track. These 37's may return at any time.
The future projects ahead:
Work should begin on the bevercotes branch and possibly the welbeck branch within the next year. OLE is on the cards to be installed in some locations. Network rail are developing the line so that trains/equipment can run at upto 75mph in any circumstances (overhead electric, third rail, tunnels and bridges).
If i hear any more info or news ill let you know peepz

Status
Not open for further replies.