• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR - Is there an issue at Levisham???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmaduke

I was at the beautiful and tranquil Station of Levisham on the NYMR today.
It’s my second visit in 5 weeks and on my first visit, I detected something very different about the place and its volunteers….as if the enthusiasm had been switched off!!
Today, very few volunteers and asking around, without being told, seems there’s an underlying issue bubbling away.
I do hope whatever it is will be resolved soon, because VOLUNTEERS ARE a precious commodity and in short supply.
Whatever is going on will only be detrimental to tbe NYMR at tbis lovely location.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I don't know, but - speaking as a volunteer elsewhere - how many staff did you expect?
Tea hut 1, signaller 1, booking clerk 1, stationmaster 1?
How do you distinguish volunteers from paid staff, of which the NYMR seems to have a few?

Marmaduke

Apparently there are some 35/40 active volunteers at Levisham.
Every time I have been and I perhaps go some 10 to 12 times per season, I’ve always been impressed by how many volunteer at that location.
I’ve counted between 12 to 15 most times I’ve been working on all manner of things.
The last twice I have been, there’s been very few, plus majority of wagons have gone from sidings….strange as well?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Apparently there are some 35/40 active volunteers at Levisham.
Every time I have been and I perhaps go some 10 to 12 times per season, I’ve always been impressed by how many volunteer at that location.
I’ve counted between 12 to 15 most times I’ve been working on all manner of things.
The last twice I have been, there’s been very few, plus majority of wagons have gone from sidings….strange as well?
I imagine volunteers move around the railway to where the work is required, and wagons move too. I don't imagine anything sinister is afoot.

alexl92

Established Member
The railway does now run regular demonstration freight trains alongside service trains on certain days so it’s highly likely that the wagons may have been moved for this purpose. Like others, I suspect there’s no real issue here?

Yes I had heard that there was a really big problem over last few months at Levisham, seems a whole raft of volunteers apparently have been suspended - What over only knows, but either way not good!!
I hope it gets resolved soon or else NYMR's loss will turn into another HR's gain? The Wensleydale Railway at Northallerton is always looking for enthusiastic volunteers so I am told and will be very welcoming.

Marmaduke

I thought so....Its a damn shame if it continues and like Track Master I really do hope it gets resolved positively whatever the issue is. I suppose the question is, HOW did it get to this. I can get my head around maybe one person getting suspended for something whilst an issue is investigated, but I understand its several volunteers and apparently today I have been told happened several weeks ago?
I also understand that the volunteers that have been suspended are not new ones, but people who've been there a very long time.
Come on NYMR - Whatever it is, get it sorted and resolved, because volunteers who get suspended is so very wrong [Unless its a very serious issue] and painful in the longer term for the railway and the wider heritage scene. Its hard enough trying to get volunteers, so surely a word to the wise, knock a few heads together and get back to enjoyment!!

Trestrol

It was a serious issue and the Levisham volunteers had been warned after a previous incident not to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.