• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR validity on rover tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bushy

Good afternoon,

Can anyone advise if rover tickets covering Whitby [including the All-Line] are valid on North Yorkshire Moors Railway services between Whitby & Grosmont? NYMR rovers are valid on local Northern services between the 2 stations but I don't know if it works the other way round. I have emailed Northern & NYMR about this but [as expected!] received inconclusive gen from both, probably because they have never come across this query before.

As I understand it rovers are not valid on private railways [except the Festiniog] but the NYMR is listed in the Directory of Train Operators at the beginning of the downloadable All Line Timetable .pdf file so it looks like it's a regular TOC.

Further to this the downloadable .pdf publicity for the Tyne Tees Day Ranger which covers Whitby states: "Valid on all Train Operating Companies' services [except Grand Central] on the map shown" Any help gratefully received!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I work as a Guard and a Booking Clerk at the NYMR. This is not uncommon, so not sure why the reply from the NYMR is so vague. Basically, between Grosmont and Whitby, Northern will accept NYMR tickets as the NYMR is a) higher priced and b) a couple of ££ is given to Northern for each ticket sold. Having said that, at this time of year don't expect to be able to get on the Northern train to or from Whitby, as last week when I was up there the morning train was leaving Middlesborough full and standing and leaving 80+ people at Grosmont. The 1600 return from Whitby was the same. There were two road coaches running between Grosmont and Whitby to supplement the train service.

The NYMR will accept National Rail tickets, including any Rovers which cover the area, but they will charge a supplement - which I think is either £3 or £5, but can't just remember. This is because the National Rail ticket is cheaper than the NYMR ticket, and the NYMR does not get any ££ at all if one is sold.

Hope this makes sense and proves helpful.

Mr Bushy

Yes-thank you very much-that answers all my queries exactly:D The email I got from the NYMR told me that National Railcards are not valid on NYMR services & Northern directed me to the standard rover info that told me nothing new-I should have come here first!!

Status
Not open for further replies.