• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OBB NightJets: problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
Overall, many of us would compliment Austria's OBB for saving (and enhancing) European overnight sleeping car routes.

However, there seem to be some problems at outstations (not at Vienna).

In October 2022, on the Venice to Vienna overnight train, most loos were inoperative. In the morning, I found a sleeping compartment whose passengers had left the train, and asked if I could use the toilet. The Newrest (contracted company) staff member agreed, but as soon as I came out, he locked the compartment door, oblivious to how others may want to use that toilet.

On 28 June 2023, a friend was on the La Spezia to Vienna NightJet. At La Spezia, the cars were incorrectly numbered, so passengers for Vienna ended up in the Munich section and vice versa. They then had to move between four and eight car lengths: apparently the Newrest or other staff ensured the gangway was open between the two sections.

This to me is a very basic, avoidable failing.

My friend had a deluxe sleeper. He was by himself (sole occupancy of a deluxe compartment).

His car lacked aircon, lights and working water/toilet/shower. There was no communication from the staff, except that one told my mate that the problems would be fixed: they were not. I didn't ask if he had a torch.

The car had not been cleaned: there was rubbish in the bathrooms.

Nor had the towels been laid out, or other housekeeping done. Is this the fault of FS staff in La Spezia?

Apparently two young people from the USA abandoned the train in Milan, and instead decided to fly to Vienna. There were three other Australians in the car, and four others who'd apparently not been on a NightJet, all of whom bar my friend having not previously used a NightJet.

He and I agree the cars ride excellently, with tracks usually in great condition. Even going over points and crossovers is normally smooth as silk.

His train was 40 minutes late: to me, not disastrous.

He'd previously had a flawless journey by NightJet from Vienna to La Spezia, but it seems based on our experience, there's a problem with almost complete lack of servicing of the cars at outstations, which of course being Europe are normally in a different country.

Both he and I have observed that these sleeping car trains are generally full in the sleepers; he even said last night's from La Spezia was chockas (Australian word, that was once never used in polite company, for 'full')in the sitting cars. Great to see.

I hope others don't suffer from similar occurrences as overall, both of us believe in sleeping cars and enjoy them very much. It's great to be able to now travel on so many routes: highly recommended.

Can OBB address this outstations difficulty?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
I had a similar issue with "hotel power" on an Amsterdam to Munich journey in 2021. In that case, they stopped the train and reset the locomotive, which fixed the issue.

tarq

I travelled from La Spezia to Vienna a few weeks ago, the berths and toilets were spotlessly clean, everything was pretty seamless.

I got my sleeping car changed to a couchette car when going from Zurich to Amsterdam last year...and I hear that this occurance is not too uncommon. This was my first, and to date, only experience of Nightjet.

However, to be fair to OBB...sleeper passengers still got private couchettes and OBB did refund the difference. Even though we were looking forward to a comfy sleeper, we actually ended up sleeping quite well thanks to the smooth ride. (Although it did make my wife's bad hip flare up a bit being on the hard couchettes) And we still arrived in Amsterdam bang on time.

I was disappointed not to end up trying Nightjets sleeper berths...but found the couchettes not too bad at all. Although 2 of us in a 6 berth couchette probably helped! One toilet was out of use in our coach, but the other one was kept clean.

Want to give them another go and see if I can finally try out a sleeper car.

Fragezeichnen

Zürich to Amsterdam is a special case because ÖBB is not involved in operating it at all even though it bears the Nightjet name. The non-seated carriages are provided by German charter operator BahnTouristikExpress. Apparently the sum total of their fleet of all types of carriages is 25 - I would guess they don't have much in the way of an operating reserve.

The other exception is the Prague - Zurich portion of Zurich - Berlin/Prague, which is the responsibility of CD.

Austriantrain

Established Member
As far a I am aware, outstation cleaning is done by the train crew (not staffed by ÖBB, but by Newrest) - it’s one of the factors that help keeping the operations economical, but of course leaves open the possibility of a bad crew botching the job.

I don’t know how it is done at La Spezia though, because I think the night crew leaves the train at Genova.

dutchflyer

Established Member
So is this one more like a 'traditional' EuroNight train, or unable to be distinguished from other NightJet route operations?
It is even more complicated-part of it is just a normal DB train, just running night time. THIS part of that train, detached at Basel runs to normal DB rules: reservation only optional,and also for ticketing. I went a few weeks ago for just 17,90 as advance fare from Kóln (dep 70 mins late) to Freiburg (arr 80 mins late-so I will get 25% refunded too).
AFAIK this name EuroNight is not in use since quite some years by now.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Zürich to Amsterdam is a special case because ÖBB is not involved in operating it at all even though it bears the Nightjet name. The non-seated carriages are provided by German charter operator BahnTouristikExpress. Apparently the sum total of their fleet of all types of carriages is 25 - I would guess they don't have much in the way of an operating reserve.

The other exception is the Prague - Zurich portion of Zurich - Berlin/Prague, which is the responsibility of CD.

This sounds like the sort of brand-dilution that destroyed the reputation of the CityNightLine brand. If NightJet is based around a level of quailty, then they really shouldn't be putting their brand on services like that or it'll all go bad for them.

That should just be a D-Zug even if they include it on the map.

(See also DB diluting InterCity by operating it using regional double deck coaches and EMUs with a trolley service if that)

StephenHunter

Established Member
It is even more complicated-part of it is just a normal DB train, just running night time. THIS part of that train, detached at Basel runs to normal DB rules: reservation only optional,and also for ticketing. I went a few weeks ago for just 17,90 as advance fare from Kóln (dep 70 mins late) to Freiburg (arr 80 mins late-so I will get 25% refunded too).
AFAIK this name EuroNight is not in use since quite some years by now.
EuroNight is still in use. Also, the sleeping car is a Comfortline, same as the main Nightjet fleet.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
On a Brussels - Wien journey I found that no new catering stock had been loaded at Brussels, and thus the only things available were nuts or wine.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
On a Brussels - Wien journey I found that no new catering stock had been loaded at Brussels, and thus the only things available were nuts or wine.

I've survived the night on that sort of sustenance at many a party...

Fragezeichnen

(See also DB diluting InterCity by operating it using regional double deck coaches and EMUs with a trolley service if that)

This is deliberate. The DB strategy, implementation of which is almost complete, is to upgrade all trunk route services to ICE, and use the new "IC2" shorter trains to expand services onto routes which previously had no long distance services at all or only very infrequently. The previous "IC1" trains with full on board catering will soon be extinct. So, the only other alternative would be to stop using the InterCity brand altogether.

Austriantrain

Established Member
This is deliberate. The DB strategy, implementation of which is almost complete, is to upgrade all trunk route services to ICE, and use the new "IC2" shorter trains to expand services onto routes which previously had no long distance services at all or only very infrequently. The previous "IC1" trains with full on board catering will soon be extinct. So, the only other alternative would be to stop using the InterCity brand altogether.

They could return to „IC“ and „IR“, since many ICEs are barely express.:D

More seriously: it is a good strategy. There is a place for long-distance services that are run economically with cheaper stock (those ICEs don’t come cheap) and less amenities.

Status
Not open for further replies.