• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd Grand Central Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOnesFool

I noticed at Doncaster this evening, a Grand Central Adelante rolled in to the station on Platform 3.

It was displaying 'Bradford Interchange' as the destination. This was a 4 car set and there was no First Class Coach!

It stayed at the South end of the platform for a while and Grand Central Staff seemed to board there. I wonder what happened to the First Class Coach??

According to RealtimeTrains, it looks to be 1N96 and restarted from Doncaster to Sunderland. An unusual working but very disappointing for First Class customers.

Does anyone know which unit this is? Train information for this working is not available on RTT.

Also, I wonder why it started from Doncaster!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
RTT shows to me that 1N96 ran through from London albeit with an extended dwell at Doncaster on Platform 3B.

There is a Grand Central 180 set which has the First Class coach missing due to corrosion damage I believe.
The coach has been removed from the set for several weeks now and I am sure has been mentioned in previous posts on here.

deep south

According to their website they had a problem earlier and had a cancellation on the Bradford service, and advised those passengers to get the Sunderland service to Doncaster where they had a set to collect the Bradford passengers to take them onwards.

BJames

Established Member
There is a Grand Central 180 set which has the First Class coach missing due to corrosion damage I believe.
The coach has been removed from the set for several weeks now and I am sure has been mentioned in previous posts on here.
Although the reason is not mentioned, it appears this is indeed 4 car. The formation is below from this thread:
I have been told that 180107 is running around as a 4 car. Can anyone confirm this.

MTIA

Mark
Appears so.
59907-56907-55907-50907.
EMR's 180110 also has one coach missing which is for corrosion repair and has been operating in 4 car formation for quite a while now.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Of the two sets currently missing a coach, is it the first class coach in both instances?

If so, is there anything particular about the first class coaches that would make them more susceptible to corrosion, such as a larger water tank?

Established Member
Of the two sets currently missing a coach, is it the first class coach in both instances?

If so, is there anything particular about the first class coaches that would make them more susceptible to corrosion, such as a larger water tank?
The EMR unit still has the first class coach.

Yesterdays southbound 1A67 was cancelled at Doncaster due to a unit fault, and returned to Crofton depot empty. The northbound return working for this set (1D95) was therefore also cancelled up to Doncaster, but a working unit went from the depot to form the Doncaster-Bradford portion, as you observed.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The EMR unit still has the first class coach.

Think it’s the buffet car that’s missing out the EMR unit.
Thanks both. Tbh when I posted last night/this morning I must have been having a brain-fart because I'd got the idea in my head that the buffet and first class were the same vehicle- even though I've been on 180s often enough to know that's not the case! Hence the enquiry regarding water tanks.

Gordonman

Although the reason is not mentioned, it appears this is indeed 4 car. The formation is below from this thread:

EMR's 180110 also has one coach missing which is for corrosion repair and has been operating in 4 car formation for quite a while now.
180107 has been reformed back as a 5 car set with a coach from 180103.
Worked a test run earlier from Crofton - Peterborough and return

Wyrleybart

Established Member
180107 has been reformed back as a 5 car set with a coach from 180103.
Worked a test run earlier from Crofton - Peterborough and return
At one point the missing car out of 180107 was going to Ilford with another five defective class 180 cars, for Ilford to fettle. Then I heard that the missing car from 107 was returning to it's set, so perhaps with 180103 already broken up to donate cars to other units, perhaps the car from 180103 was less troublesome than that from 180107.
Nevertheless there still appear to be five class 180 vehicles waiting to be dragged to Ilford for battering. How far is it from Ilford to Newport docks !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.