• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd Incident at Gatwick Gate Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_re

Hi all,

Odd thing just occurred: trying to get through the gate line at Gatwick Airport with my Botley - London Terminals season, it was rejected as usual. Assistant on the gate line asked me to put the ticket through again, took it from the gate and scribbled 116 on the ticket (i.e. not valid at this station). I protested as I really could do without having my annual season defaced halfway through its validity!

Now, I am cynically assuming this is so that I would be gripped later in the journey, even though this is undoubtedly a valid route and, obviously a reasonable break of journey. Or should I give them the benefit of the doubt? Either way, I'm not happy!

Mark

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi all,

Odd thing just occurred: trying to get through the gate line at Gatwick Airport with my Botley - London Terminals season, it was rejected as usual. Assistant on the gate line asked me to put the ticket through again, took it from the gate and scribbled 116 on the ticket (i.e. not valid at this station). I protested as I really could do without having my annual season defaced halfway through its validity!

Now, I am cynically assuming this is so that I would be gripped later in the journey, even though this is undoubtedly a valid route and, obviously a reasonable break of journey. Or should I give them the benefit of the doubt? Either way, I'm not happy!

Mark
Since it is the railways' property, they are technically entitled to do with it as they wish! Nevertheless, if this were my season ticket, I would be concerned that I may be accused of misusing the ticket and that it may, as a result, be withdrawn, thereby requiring me to buy new tickets in the mean time.

It may be worthwhile contacting Gatwick Express, who I believe manage the gate line, to make sure your concerns are in writing before anything happens. That way you may be able to get a replacement season ticket without the markings on it, or have an 'alibi' if you are accused of anything.

Starting late or stopping short is always permitted with a season ticket (with a few exceptions which don't apply here). Gatwick to London is on a permitted route from Botley to London. So your journey was entirely legitimate.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It may be worthwhile contacting Gatwick Express, who I believe manage the gate line, to make sure your concerns are in writing before anything happens.
Although the company Gatwick Express haven't operated trains for a good few years. You need to contact Govia Thameslink Railway.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Although the company Gatwick Express haven't operated trains for a good few years. You need to contact Govia Thameslink Railway.
Well yes, I didn't want to open up that can of worms again!

bubieyehyeh

I'm surprized that season ticket is valid for travel via gatwick? I would have thought the valid route would be those in/out of waterloo.

However I'd be annoy if they did that to my season ticket. Perhap the gateline person didn't realise it was a season ticket, you hope they'd know the difference but this is GTR.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm surprized that season ticket is valid for travel via gatwick? I would have thought the valid route would be those in/out of waterloo.

However I'd be annoy if they did that to my season ticket. Perhap the gateline person didn't realise it was a season ticket, you hope they'd know the difference but this is GTR.
Portsmouth is an appropriate RP. Portsmouth to London is valid via Brighton or Horsham into Victoria or Waterloo (I don't think it's valid into any Thameslink stations but I could be reading the maps incorrectly). So, though I agree it's somewhat surprising, it's an entirely valid route.

JB_B

Established Member
Portsmouth is an appropriate RP. Portsmouth to London is valid via Brighton or Horsham into Victoria or Waterloo (I don't think it's valid into any Thameslink stations but I could be reading the maps incorrectly). So, though I agree it's somewhat surprising, it's an entirely valid route.

AFAIKS Botley -> London Terminals Any Permitted should be OK right round from London Bridge to Paddington (so also including Blackfriars and City Thameslink).

This is broadly reflected correctly in the LT feed data for BOE although Paddington (characteristically) is missing.

Jonfun

Established Member
I think perhaps the member of gateline staff might have been working on autopilot and not noticed that your ticket was a Season before he wrote the date on it.

I'm sure it was nothing personal and I can't imagine any traincrew are going to take exception to it, unless it covers up an important part of the ticket (such as the expiry date).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Could it have been 11/6 i.e. 11th June, the date on which it occurred?

If he thought it wasn't valid he would have sold an Anytime Single, issued you a PF, reported you for prosecution or warned you he would let you off this time but not to do it again, wouldn't he?

Nonetheless he shouldn't be scrawling on season tickets and so this needs reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.