• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off peak Oxford to Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelhill94

I've bought an off peak ticket intending to travel from Oxford to Preston at 8:36 today. I now wish to travel later so went to check which other trains were off peak. But it now appears every train requires an anytime ticket. Am I being really stupid and missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oxford - Preston SVR:

Restriction Code: 2S
Restriction applies: Monday to Friday only. No travel restrictions on other days. OUTWARD and RETURN Journeys: Valid on services which are scheduled to depart at or after 0754.
It's fortunate that fare is priced by Virgin Trains and is therefore not unreasonable.

If you're returning the same day, you may prefer to "split" as follows:

• OXFORD to BANBURY OFF-PEAK DAY R Return £6.00 (VALID AFTER 0844 MON-FRI)
  • BANBURY to WARRINGTON STATIONS OFF-PEAK R Return £48.20 (VALID AFTER 0930 MON-FRI)
  • WARRINGTON STATIONS to PRESTON (LANCS) OFF-PEAK DAY R Return £12.10 (VALID AFTER 0930 MON-FRI)
  • Total fare: £66.30
If you wish to purchase all 3 tickets in one transaction, with one itinerary provided and through reservations (where possible) use www.trainsplit.com (a fee based on the saving applies)

michaelhill94

Thank you very much Yorkie! So if I've got this right I can get any train after 7:54?

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you very much Yorkie! So if I've got this right I can get any train after 7:54?
Yes, that's right.

But how much later is "later"? If it's after 0844, and if you're returning the same day, "splitting" as above saves about £20.

If you need to travel earlier than 0844, then the first ticket would need to be an "Anytime Day Return" priced at £11.70, and if you wish to pass through Banbury before 0930, you'd be best looking at a different split - see trainsplit.com for details.

Last edited:

michaelhill94

Not returning for a while but I'll take a look at that (a long with advances etc.) for when I do. That's really helpful, thank you very much.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No worries :)

The cheapest split found by trainsplit.com to depart at 0836, and return the same day, would actually be to purchase no less than 6 tickets, saving £11.10! I know no-one likes fees, but in that case I don't think many people would quibble at the fee, given the time saving not having to book 6 tickets individually (especially if seat reservations were required!)

Trainsplit is run by forum member SickyNicky, in partnership with RailEasy (Mike@Raileasy)

CrossCountry would want a whopping £96 return for someone just going to Stafford, or a shocking £157.50 return to Manchester. Therefore, the savings offered by Trainsplit are generally even bigger, where the fares are priced by CrossCountry.

Status
Not open for further replies.