• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Okay to go to Gatwick on this ticket or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfsuarc

I have anytime day return Cheam to Blackwater, and would like to be in Gatwick airport this afternoon. Is it okay to use the return part and get off at GTW or must I buy a separate ticket?

It is valid not via London, and there is a theoretical route Blackwater - GTW - Norwood junction - Cheam ( longer than my usual blackwater - Dorking - Cheam ) and I am allowed to break journey with an anytime ticket I believe.

I'll take the direct blackwater to Gatwick anyway, so can I get away with using the return part of my ticket, and not buying another?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nuts & bolts

I have anytime day return Cheam to Blackwater, and would like to be in Gatwick airport this afternoon. Is it okay to use the return part and get off at GTW or must I buy a separate ticket?

It is valid not via London, and there is a theoretical route Blackwater - GTW - Norwood junction - Cheam ( longer than my usual blackwater - Dorking - Cheam ) and I am allowed to break journey with an anytime ticket I believe.

I'll take the direct blackwater to Gatwick anyway, so can I get away with using the return part of my ticket, and not buying another?

Many thanks

You will need to excess the return portion of ticket via Gatwick!

Belperpete

Established Member
If I try to buy a ticket from Blackwater to Cheam specifying via Gatwick, journey planner comes back saying no tickets available. This would tend to suggest that there isn't a valid route via Gatwick.

akm

Although there are trains that go Blackwater - Gatwick, then Gatwick - Norwood Junction, then Norwood Junction - Cheam, actually following such an itinerary would mean doubling back between Redhill and Gatwick, so I'm not completely on board with your 'theoretical route'...

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The validity of a ticket doesn't depend on whether it's the outward or return portion. It's identical both ways. And no, you cannot go via Gatwick as you'd be doubling back between Redhill and Gatwick, which is not usually permitted unless there's a good reason for it. If you intend to follow that route I would recommend using a website like www.trainsplit.com to find an optimal combination of tickets (as the multiple via points let you choose the exact route you want).

It's a theoretically possible to undertake that route, but it's not a permitted route if you hold a Cheam to Blackwater ticket. Break of journey is indeed permitted on Anytime tickets and almost all Off-Peak tickets, but you have to be following a permitted route at the point you break your journey. You could of course use your ticket as far as Redhill, which is permissible, and then buy a further ticket from Redhill to Gatwick and return.

No, the ticket simply isn't valid that way and you are likely to end up in trouble if you do try using it to exit at Gatwick. I really hope you don't end up having to make a thread on the Disputes & Prosecutions section because you've ended up having to pay an additional fare, being issued with a Penalty Fare or worse still being prosecuted for your ticketless endeavours... Don't try it on. Get a valid ticket before you board.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Via Redhill is a permitted route, but you'll need to buy an additional return ticket from Redhill to Gatwick Airport, and make sure your train from Gatwick to Norwood Junction stops at Redhill (although I think most if not all of the direct trains do). If you're not continuing to Cheam after Gatwick then obviously you only need a single from Redhill to Gatwick.

Belperpete

Established Member
If I try and buy a ticket from Cheam to Blackwater specifying via Redhill, I am offered the same ticket as via the "direct" route. This suggests that you can use your ticket to return via Redhill. So my suggestion would be to break your journey at Redhill, and buy a return from Redhill to Gatwick. If you bought and obtained this ticket before you reached Redhill (e.g. at Blackwater or on-line) then you wouldn't need to get off the train when breaking your Blackwater to Cheam journey at Redhill, but your train would need to stop there.

Likewise, when completing your journey to Cheam, in order for your Blackwater to Cheam ticket to be valid, you must use a train from Gatwick that stops at Redhill.

Last edited:

cfsuarc

Thanks everyone, makes it very clear and will buy the RDH GTW ticket now. You guys are super helpful! Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.