• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old South West Trains Timetables (and NSE, Southern Region if possible)

RailWonderer

Established Member
Anything from the 1990s up until 2010 ish, the nearer to pre and post 2004 as possible, the better.

I am especially looking for the London - Reading stopping patterns when they used to be faster but anything for the mainline and Guildford would be appreciated too. RailTables seems to be down, DPSimulation doesn't have them nor does Timetable world. Does anybody have them on hand or know a place that does?
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I am especially looking for the London - Reading stopping patterns when they used to be faster
I think it has been posted before. The key point to understanding the timetable when Waterloo to Reading services used to be faster was that there were a whole lot fewer stopping services at the London end.

Anything from the 1990s up until 2010 ish, the nearer to pre and post 2004 as possible, the better.
Waterloo to Reading patterns have been largely fixed since the December 2004 recast, albeit with fewer services now.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member

I am especially looking for the London - Reading stopping patterns when they used to be faster but anything for the mainline and Guildford would be appreciated too. RailTables seems to be down, DPSimulation doesn't have them nor does Timetable world. Does anybody have them on hand or know a place that does?
Thanks.

I have some old West of England line timetables from the 2000s if that helps. Plenty of Connex South Central ones too incidentally

Gloster

Established Member
I have a stack of old SWT timetable books in the garage. If you can specify a bit more what years you want, I will root them out, but possibility not until tomorrow.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have a pdf copy of the suburban calling patterns map from 2000. It doesn’t give running times, but clearly shows the routes, and how the Reading services ran via both Richmond and Brentford:

Attachments

• suburban.pdf
    977.9 KB · Views: 61

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I have a pdf copy of the suburban calling patterns map from 2000. It doesn’t give running times, but clearly shows the routes, and how the Reading services ran via both Richmond and Brentford:
Very interesting. I used to be taken on SWT so much more as a child in that era for various reasons and remember local trains used to not stop Earlsfield. Also remember Basingstoke slow trains used to stop at Wimbledon sometimes.

Happy to say that not only did I get a chance to use the West Croydon to Guildford service once in 2003, but vaugely recall turning up at the platform to see what I think was a 4cep waiting for us.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
As posted in the thread I linked, about the fastest ever Reading service was the xx00 from Waterloo in the timetable around 1989.

Waterloo dep xx00, Clapham Junction xx07, Richmond xx15, Ascot xx39, Martins Heron xx44, Bracknell xx48, Wokingham xx54, Winnersh xx58, Winnersh Triangle xx00, Earley xx02, Reading xx07.

Given that is 67 minutes for 44 miles and it cuts out loads of stops, the trains might as well stop where the custom is and take 80 minutes like they do today. There was an xx03 which went to the Bagshot line, with a Reading connection at Ascot, and a slower xx33 to Reading calling with the following pattern.

Waterloo dep xx33, Clapham Junction xx40, Richmond xx48, Feltham xx56, Staines xx02, Egham xx06, Virginia Water xx10, Sunningdale xx16, Ascot xx20, Martins Heron xx24, Bracknell xx28, Wokingham xx34, Winnersh xx38, Winnersh Triangle xx40, Earley xx42, Reading xx47.

However, at that time, the departures from Waterloo to the Windsor Lines were xx00 Reading fast, xx03 Guildford via Aldershot, xx13 Windsor, xx15 Kingston loop, xx25 Weybridge via Hounslow, xx33 Reading slow, xx43 Windsor, xx45 Kingston loop, xx55 Weybridge via Hounslow.

The off-peak Reading service from 1997 to 2003 was

xx07/xx37 from Waterloo - Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Putney, Hounslow, Feltham, Ashford, Staines, Egham, Sunningdale, Ascot, Martins Heron, Bracknell, Wokingham, Reading

xx22/xx52 from Waterloo - Clapham Junction, Richmond, Twickenham, Feltham, Staines, Egham, Virginia Water, Sunningdale, Ascot, Martins Heron, Bracknell, Wokingham, Winnersh, Winnersh Triangle, Earley, Reading.

The xx07/xx37 later gained a Brentford stop and was diverted after Egham to Weybridge, to replace the Staines to Weybridge shuttle. The journey at the London end was sufficiently slow that there was only a six minute gap between the services all the way from Staines to Wokingham.