• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old T Key Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah good. Sounds very detailed if they even put alarms in it :D!

AlexS

Established Member
Does anyone know of any other uses for the circular prong of the T-key? I have only recently learned of it's use in isolating certain things in class 380's passenger accommodation, and that is a first to my knowledge !

Adjusting the air con settings on Mk3s on the panels in the vestibule is one!

bus man

Remember that it is not only Railway staff that use these sort of keys, bus staff also use them.

In the bus industry they are sometimes called budget keys

Some staff prefer the BR MKI key as in some companies it fits several types of buses so you don't have to carry two keys just one will do.

The "Key Ring" one described above are difficult to get old of but are usefull as you dont have a big key in your pocket or on your belt:

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Does anyone know of any other uses for the circular prong of the T-key? I have only recently learned of it's use in isolating certain things in class 380's passenger accommodation, and that is a first to my knowledge !

I do, but I can't put it on a public forum. It is on a 450 and is used for isolation, probably the same things as on a 380!

bus man

Remember that it is not only Railway staff that use these sort of keys, bus staff also use them.

In the bus industry they are sometimes called budget keys

Some staff prefer the BR MKI key as in some companies it fits several types of buses so you don't have to carry two keys just one will do.

The "Key Ring" one described above are difficult to get old of but are usefull as you dont have a big key in your pocket or on your belt:

Some dealers call them musharoom keys

TRAINALEX100

i work on a heritage railway as a tti and soon to be a guard but we have to get everything ourselves including t keys, i found a place in nottingham that sells them only to railway staff but if i told them i work for a heritage railway and got them to phone my railway would they issue me a t key?

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
i work on a heritage railway as a tti and soon to be a guard but we have to get everything ourselves including t keys, i found a place in nottingham that sells them only to railway staff but if i told them i work for a heritage railway and got them to phone my railway would they issue me a t key?

If you are talking about Rail-Order, then most likely yes.

So far, they've been called a T-Key, a Carriage Key and a Budget Key. I have heard them called a COACH key, but I can't remember if I heard in connection with the Railway or Bus & Coach industries.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
So far, they've been called a T-Key, a Carriage Key and a Budget Key. I have heard them called a COACH key, but I can't remember if I heard in connection with the Railway or Bus & Coach industries.

Technically the correct term is a "budget lock key", the other ones exist just as slang for what they are used for, and in the case of "T key", what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.