• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OLR - Northern Franchise Rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpjm

The OLR taking over the Northern operation from 1st March have confirmed that there will be no name change or rebranding in the short-term whilst they focus on stabilising the train service. This does however mean that it's time for those of us with too much time on our hands to crank the rumour mill and devise our own fantasy rebrand of this much hated (i.e. the average Joe Bloggs) franchise.

Kicking us off, meet NETWORK NORTH.

logos-02.png

NWRK North.jpg

(Original Class 331 drawing by WestRail642fan)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adsy125

Agreed, it’s very nice, I unfortunately don’t have any design skills myself but I think a version of that but without the white would be even better. Too much use of a plain white livery at the moment I would argue.

tpjm

Thank you for the positive comments. Interested to know what people think the new franchise should be called as Northern, Northern Rail, Northern Railway, etc, all feel like they've been done to death.

Agreed, it’s very nice, I unfortunately don’t have any design skills myself but I think a version of that but without the white would be even better. Too much use of a plain white livery at the moment I would argue.
I tried to remove more white but you lose the effectiveness of the chevron.

Can I ask how you create these livery’s
All art is designed in Illustrator and then mapped onto the unit drawings in Photoshop. :)

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Anything is better than the current scheme. This, though, is a winner.

js1000

I don't mind the current Northern branding to be honest. The font is clear, white is clean and the blue isn't offensive. It's the Northern name that's the problem as it's become associated with mismanagement and incompetence. Adding 'Trains' to 'Northern' and removing 'by Arriva' as the OLR are going to do is probably as far as they can go. Certainly the 'Network North' proposal above would get my vote and I like the subtle use of arrow pointing up to signify the north.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't mind the current Northern branding to be honest. The font is clear, white is clean and the blue isn't offensive. It's the Northern name that's the problem as it's become associated with mismanagement and incompetence. Adding 'Trains' to 'Northern' and removing 'by Arriva' as the OLR are going to do is probably as far as they can go. Certainly the 'Network North' proposal above would get my vote and I like the subtle use of arrow pointing up to signify the north.

It's a nice nod to Granada's arrow, which for years defined the North West at least! I think it would be very popular and I wouldn't be the only one to notice that.

TBH I think if "new Northern" manages to sort the mess out it will get forgotten. Southern were the dirt on someone's shoe for a while, but now that's all pretty much sorted out they now only receive the standard level of commuter ire (which would happen even were the service perfect). Indeed, on the south WCML Southern is the byword for "punctual, reliable and a pretty certain seat" compared with the execrable LNR at the moment.

TH172341

Excellent branding work there, Network North would be a good name change.

tpjm

Bit of a comparison...

I personally like the silver, I imagine it to be a metallic style vinyl wrap similar to TPE with the coloured panels being matte finish like the GWR black bands.

(hate the dark grey)

dark grey.jpg silvertext.jpg
NWRK North copy.jpg

Bit of a comparison...

I personally like the silver, I imagine it to be a metallic style vinyl wrap similar to TPE with the coloured panels being matte finish like the GWR black bands.

(hate the dark grey)

View attachment 74429 View attachment 74430
View attachment 74431
These are great, its a very adaptable design in the sense if you wanted to change the colour palette to reflect a certain route like Northern connect or even have Network North West and Network North East. Great job!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think the white one is the nicer of them to be honest. To avoid the big white area, the Network North lettering could be moved to the vehicle ends instead of under the ^ as per the end vehicles.

Aictos

Established Member
Or you could just leave it as it is and just cover over the Arriva brand name? Save so much expense and time by doing this.

tpjm

"by arriva" has been removed from a lot of the trains already.
I noticed that too.
Or you could just leave it as it is and just cover over the Arriva brand name? Save so much expense and time by doing this.
The point of this exercise was to determine the life after Northern by Arriva. The OLR have stated that in the short-term they will not be changing the branding, but given then only about half the fleet have the latest Northern livery, it's only a matter of time before something new comes along.

Still open to any other name suggestions people may have that I could comfortably mock up!

kc_

The station name signs in at least some Northern stations have been replaced. Now plain white background with black text, no corporate branding at all.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
The station name signs in at least some Northern stations have been replaced. Now plain white background with black text, no corporate branding at all.
If only they could use the standard NR had conveniently made for signage!

td97

Established Member
Very good effort. Beats a lot of the current livery and branding attempts by so-called professional design agencies.
I agree the livery looks most effective with a white bodyshell; however the dirt-hiding capabilities of silver would also be welcome.
It's probably too modern and forward-thinking to apply to most of the decrepit Northern stock, but does look good on that 331!
How would you achieve symmetry on the centre carriage of the 3-car versions?

The olr website states more information will be released tomorrow about future plans, will be interesting.
Is the current management staying on as was the case with LNER?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The OLR taking over the Northern operation from 1st March have confirmed that there will be no name change or rebranding in the short-term whilst they focus on stabilising the train service. This does however mean that it's time for those of us with too much time on our hands to crank the rumour mill and devise our own fantasy rebrand of this much hated (i.e. the average Joe Bloggs) franchise.

Kicking us off, meet NETWORK NORTH.

View attachment 74371

View attachment 74372

(Original Class 331 drawing by WestRail642fan)
Good job.

tpjm

Very good effort. Beats a lot of the current livery and branding attempts by so-called professional design agencies.
I agree the livery looks most effective with a white bodyshell; however the dirt-hiding capabilities of silver would also be welcome.
It's probably too modern and forward-thinking to apply to most of the decrepit Northern stock, but does look good on that 331!
How would you achieve symmetry on the centre carriage of the 3-car versions?

Does this count as decrepit? ;)

cl158.jpg

Original Unit Drawing Credit: here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.