• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympia shuttle - better with LO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangent

I do wonder whether LO could take over services between Kensington Olympia & High Street Kensington - possibly incorporating them into other services terminating further along the LO network - at Highbury & Islington, or united with the GOBLIN services. Ideally, if and when CR2 arises, CR2 could take over the Wimbledon end of Wimbleware, and LO services using the lines could terminate at Edgware Road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Isn't the decision not to run Kensington Olympia services to provide the track capacity through Earls Court for more District Line trains to Wimbledon?

It is just that running to Wimbledon is more valuable than running to Olympia. It doesn't matter whether it is LO or LU running to Olympia, there simply isn't capacity and the greater demand is elsewhere.

CR2 doesn't go anywhere near the Wimbledon branch of the District Line (other than Wimbledon).

anthony263

Established Member
I think it’s better off with London Underground just needs more regular services even if only every 20 minutes.

Think the lack of paths around Earl’s Court and before covid they needed extra Wimbledon services although post covid is the situation still the same?

Enthusiast

Coincidentally I posted this earlier today:

I though the emergency pattern worked perfectly!

But seriously, Olympia is dreadfully served by the Underground (when it is served at all, that is). As I mentioned in the other thread, I can't recall the last time I was able to get there completely by the Underground. It's actually quicker for me (travelling from Charing Cross) to go to West Kensington and walk (or possibly just walk from Earl's Court) rather than fanny about going to West Brompton and waiting possibly 15 minutes to go one stop in the opposite direction. In fact, if the traffic is decent it's almost as quick to get a number 9 bus. If LU cannot provide a reasonable service something else might a swell be done.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If LU cannot provide a reasonable service something else might a swell be done.
Something else is done - ie connections using LO.

Even if there was a District Line train to Olympia, the wait would be up to 15 minutes somewhere, potentially more, because the other branches of the District Line (which all need to funnel through Earls Court) are more important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.