• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabe

Hey Guys, I recently passed the driver assessments and interviews with SWT. Along with the email congratulating me was a message saying that all vacancies were filled but more would be coming later in the year and i am on hold:?:. Does anyone know of any vacancies coming up in Weymouth/Bournemouth depots soon?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
As a point of reassurance, SWT might only have the resources to do one drivers course at a time (number of instructors, classrooms, dedicated classroom staff) so have to put some of the successful candidates on hold. I'd keep an eye open for alternatives, obviously, but dont see this as a rejection.

Dowdy1

I took the first part of the assessments and am on hold pending vacancies also.

Not sure why they would spend time advertising, sorting through a lot applicants then doing assessments and then decide there are no vacancies. I don't think any other industry works that way!

scally

I also sat and passed some of the assessments back in may, was told that I'd be invited to do the structured and managers interviews soon after.

Phoned them last week and was told that all vacancies were now filled and they'd be in touch in the new year. I applied for Wimbledon depot.

Very frustrating!

Monty

Established Member
As a point of reassurance, SWT might only have the resources to do one drivers course at a time (number of instructors, classrooms, dedicated classroom staff) so have to put some of the successful candidates on hold. I'd keep an eye open for alternatives, obviously, but dont see this as a rejection.

This, the training centre Basingstoke is quite busy at the moment with multiple guards and drivers courses with only a limited amount of trainers to go around. What I would do personally is keep phoning up recruitment once a fortnight/month and enquire if their any vacancies coming up the near future. On the other hand you could always keep an eye out for FGW driving jobs in the area, in theory you would only need to attend and interview again. Nothing to loose by doing it really, and if you did'nt get the job you are still on the waiting list for SWT. :)

Safety365

As a point of reassurance, SWT might only have the resources to do one drivers course at a time

SWT are doing 12 courses in 2012. One class of 12 drivers every month. Supposedly they still won't have enough productive drivers to cover the 35 hour 4day week when it starts in December 2013.

letmedrive

I have been on hold for a different TOC since early Feb, it seems a funny way to run a business.

Neil73

Seems to be a commom theme developing here...I'm too now in a talent pool awaiting a drivers position in Blackpool. Wonder if its anything to do with the £9bn worth of government investments into the railway industry? Never have I been so inflated at this moment in time :cry:

Im in the same situation with another TOC.

However, having said that! There has never been a better time to wanting to be a driver. As trains get busier and busier, more routes gets electrified, lots of people nearing retirement, lots of people leaving the grade - things are quite promising.

Network Rail have already announced that they are planning to massively increase capacity around the UK over the next 5-15 years by resignalling and electrifying routes.

All you can say is that you have tried your best and now your 'next in line' for when a job does come up.

Don't forget it costs a TOC loads of money to screen and test applicants (they pay per person per test in the assessment centre) and I did hear somewhere it costs upto £500 per 'shortlisted' applicant with all the tests, managers interviews and medicals and things, so they obviously won't do all that for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.