• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-train announcement phraseology no longer used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stadler

'All change' and 'alight' are both examples of railwayspeak that no human being (or no English speaker) would ever otherwise use. 'Change for...' makes sense if someone is getting off one train and on another. 'All change' would only be accurate if everyone was forbidden to leave the station on foot and was forced to get onto another train (or I suppose a bus). And 'alight' must confuse every non-native English speaker, and quite a few natives. What's wrong with 'leave the train'? (Please not, 'leave the service'!)
I think "alight" and "all change" are public transport specific words rather than railway specific words. Plenty of bus automated announcements in the UK also use the "alight" and "all change" phrases too.

Although they do seem to be British English specific words. I have never heard "alight" and "all change" used in the USA or Canada or Australia or New Zealand or any other country.

I think "calling" is another British English specific word as i have not heard this in any other country. Instead they seem to use the phrase "stopping" everywhere else.

Railcar

"This is a security message" is used before 'See it, Say it, Sorted' on Southern. Using the word 'Security' sets up a 'boy who cried 'wolf' situation so that if there really IS a security problem, passengers will have switched off by then.
"If you see something that doesn't look right" is a bit odd. On the bridge at my local station is a notice which says 'No track slue or lift' (presumably a message for permanent way crew). The odd spelling 'slue' (meaning 'slew') doesn't look right to me but should I report it to 61016?

Tester

Although they do seem to be British English specific words. I have never heard "alight" and "all change" used in the USA or Canada or Australia or New Zealand or any other country.
'All change' is certainly used in Australia.

I'm in Melbourne and just had it for my train.

Sealink

I remember using Amtrak a few years ago and they still shouted "All aboard!!" on the platform.

Jeez, talk about dumbing it down for the lowest common denominator, That's a whole new level of dumb! o_O

Wait till they find out about antimacassars!

Nat Ex took over the franchise in 1997 and while my memory is getting worse with age :lol:, if I recall correctly the change in operations with the train going to Thurso and then Wick took place when the 158s took over from the 156s, which I would guess would have been closer to 2000. Could well be wrong.

That sounds about right - I lived in Wick at the time, and ScotRail were the last "franchise" to go live.

nw1

Established Member
Jeez, talk about dumbing it down for the lowest common denominator, That's a whole new level of dumb! o_O

Really? Despite using the trains since 1982 I've never been 100% sure of what "vestibule" means, though I assumed that it was the bit in between the seating areas.

I have heard it recently though. In fact my memory of its use is generally recent, last 15-20 years or so, I don't think I heard it in the 80s or 90s.

'All change' is certainly used in Australia.

I'm in Melbourne and just had it for my train.

Do they use "all change" many more in the UK in fact? Haven't heard it for years. I associate it with the 80s and 90s.
(A sad loss, btw).

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Do they use "all change" many more in the UK in fact? Haven't heard it for years. I associate it with the 80s and 90s.
(A sad loss, btw).
London Underground still use it in my experience, as do some TOC staff.

AY1975

Established Member
With smoking accommodation having been abolished (the last trains to have it lost it 18 years ago in fact), you no longer hear "Smoking accommodation is located in coach B for Standard Class and coach H for First Class ticket holders."

Status
Not open for further replies.