• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One-off direct Gatwick-Basingstoke train?

Murray J

Assuming Real Time Trains is correct, it looks like the first Gatwick-Reading train tomorrow (Monday 18th March) is operating through to Basingstoke. Any idea if this has happened before?

I'm assuming that this is just a quick way of getting a train from running the Gatwick services the day before to running Basingstoke services on Monday without cancelling an early train on either service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
There was a thread on this a couple weeks ago but the service was cancelled last minute

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It would seem to me to be a simple way of combining what are usually two separate services at the beginning of the day (Gatwick - Reading & Reading - Basingstoke)

It says on their journeycheck that it's cancelled due to a shortage of train crew

The inward train had been cancelled in the early hours of the morning, thus no unit to start it from Gatwick. Looks like that whole diagram was uncovered from about 2000.

Usually happens when the North Downs from Reading is shut. (in this case on Sunday between Reading and North Camp)

I assume it’s just like a set swap between the routes which happens a lot just never by running it as a through service like this.