• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One week on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A

Its one week since the London Bombings started and its still hard to believe it happened. Most of London has got back to normal but it will never be the same again.

Since that terrible incident there have been over 50 scares in London alone. This is due to people being more vigilant but some scum are deciding its funny to make people feel scared.

How do you feel? For me, the thought of getting on the tube is un-bearable. I don't think I could do it! But I will, today. We must remember that they cannot defeat us if we go on as normal, so I urge everyone to come to London get on the tube and enjoy the sights and sounds of greatest, most diverse and clearly strongest city in the world!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Definately something to remember, mind you, I feel much safer on the SSL lines (due to the tunnels), than the Tube, but less damage on the Tube, etc..

DLA365

Bus drivers are very vigilant as well. Someone brought three heavy bags of shopping, left them in the luggage area and went to the rear of the bus.

The driver immediately got out of his cab, and said "This bus isn't going anywhere until the owner of these bags comes forward and stands next to them".

Some people found it funny, some rolled their eyes, but I think the driver is a top man for doing this. We need more people like him!

Must admit that I, and many of my colleagues, are a bit worried about what could happen. Obviously we don't have a choice except to go to work and drive the trains five days a week.

Personally, I try not to think about it, although when I see someone with a rucksack or large bag get on the train directly behind the cab, it always triggers alarm bells.

A lot of our customers still haven't learned yet though. I have changed ends probably about 30 times over the past seven days, and found all sorts of bags and boxes left on trains, many of them I would suspect left deliberately. I've had the security tags removed from the seats, which need to be checked out by a duty manager.
Last night, I was arriving into Barons Court westbound when I saw a bike with saddle bags left propped against a pillar. No-one anywhere around. I used the train PA to ask if anyone owned the bike to come forward (the PA is loud enough to echo over the platform too), and eventually this woman comes down and tells me it is hers.
I gave her a suitable lecture (to say the least)!

Life HAS to go on. We can't allow ourselves to be beaten by these people.

richa2002

Established Member
The thing that makes me feel better is that you are more likely to get killed when crossing the road than get caught up in a bomb.

Julian G

Established Member
it's time to move back to our daily lives and get on with it and remember what had happened :oops:

jonb

Established Member
I must admit I have been more vigilant and have tried to avoid the Tube for example I was travelling to Harrow & Wealdstone the other day and ysed the NLL from Stratford to Willesden then the Bakerloo/Silverlink to Harrow. But as poeple say life must go on.

Dave A

I went to King's Cross today on the WAGN. I felt quite un-nerved on the double decker bus I got on to get to New Southgate station and felt safer standing by the doors, but boy did I sweat!

I got on the train and didn't feel so bad. Again I sat near a door but I found no problem. There were still people standing around at KX after the 2 minute silence an over an hour ago. It was quite moving. I only spent around 5 minutes there and got the train straight back.

I WAS going to go to Central London via the tube but I was very nervous so I got on the train from Arnos to Cockfosters and back on the piccadilly line. It was very quiet. The drivers seemed quite "down" and the passengers looked like I felt, sad but fighting. It was hard again but on the way back I decided to sit in the middle of the middle carriage of the train. It was quite empty and again quiet, except for the track noise. The worst part was going through that short tunnel in Southgate. Being in the dark and enclosed where no-one could reach you was the thought going through my head. Arriving at Arnos I calmly got off the train and just looked up towards the way to Bounds Green. No trains, No noise, nothing!

But I did it and I'm happy I did. The next step, Central London!

Julian G

Established Member
jonb said:
I must admit I have been more vigilant and have tried to avoid the Tube for example I was travelling to Harrow & Wealdstone the other day and ysed the NLL from Stratford to Willesden then the Bakerloo/Silverlink to Harrow. But as poeple say life must go on.
that what i did on "Harrow & the Cobblers"
instead of taking the tube from Olympia to Euston
i took the Silverlink metro up to Willesden Junction and then down to Euston!!! :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1288gaje said:
jonb said:
that what i did on "Harrow & the Cobblers"
instead of taking the tube from Olympia to Euston
i took the Silverlink metro up to Willesden Junction and then down to Euston!!! :)
Odd, you told me a few weeks ago you were only allowed to Watford/Harrow on the basis that it had direct trains from West Brompton, avoiding the need to go to London, so I was under the impression you didn't go via Euston anyway?

I see a lot of people are afraid :( and are unwittingly letting them win :| Try not to.

If you're nervous about getting on the tube you should be far more nervous crossing a busy road or travelling on any car journey.

Maybe the problem is that car crashes are not publicised enough, but bombings are publicised too much. This gives people a false sense of what is and isn't likely to be a safe mode of transport.

I once got a train from Truro to York while my parents went in the car. They were very lucky to survive a serious crash. I was very lucky not to have been involved, because I had gone by train. I'm the only member of my family who has not been injured in a car crash (my brother was also injured in a seperate incident and my Dad again in a seperate incidident), and 2 of my family still suffer the effects of their injuries now.

It's time to get some perspective here.

Status
Not open for further replies.