• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ongoing ASLEF overtime bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_rail

Established Member
Well that message needs to be got out there, because there a hell of a lot of people who think this is about "members who kept Britain running during the pandemic and who haven't had a payrise for four years"
Well it goes without saying a payrise is needed. But unlike certain other sectors, most drivers I speak to would be more than happy with 4 percent (provided no daft strings attatched). Sorry if that doesn't fit with the medias "greedy train driver" narrative.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Val3ntine

I’ll take it that you are quite happy to badly affect others’ jobs and livelihoods. Nice.
Why is this view the one that’s always taken? The government seem happy to be doing just that also, in many ways other than just encouraging industrial action in many sectors. Where’s the criticism there?

Mattydo

Get round the table and negotiate properly, (like most other unions in other sectors have done through the last year of industrial strife), rather than say ‘no, make another offer’.
We've clearly been watching different news channels.

NI 271

Driver salaries - before overtime - average around £60k; that puts them in the top 10th percentile of earners. I don't know about your definition of rich, but they're certainly not doing badly.
I know my definition of rich isn't "not doing badly". That is a *very* long way away from "the rich", and I'd find it impossible to agree with anyone who thinks £60kpa equates to the sort of money "the rich" have, because it's an order of magnitude - no, several orders of magnitude - removed from that.

Silverlinky

Figures from WMT including LNR for the week commencing 3rd July, passenger journeys were down 4.8% on the previous (non-affected) week, with 330 cancellations through the week which equates to around 4.5% of the normal scheduled service.

Mattydo

Driver salaries - before overtime - average around £60k; that puts them in the top 10th percentile of earners. I don't know about your definition of rich, but they're certainly not doing badly.
My definition of rich doesn't touch most people in the top 10th percentile. Neither would many sensible people's. Lumping together people who earn £60,000 (and that's actually at the upper end of train driver salaries), with those earning the same in a month is a real stretch to make a point.

Silverlinky

Well it goes without saying a payrise is needed. But unlike certain other sectors, most drivers I speak to would be more than happy with 4 percent (provided no daft strings attatched). Sorry if that doesn't fit with the medias "greedy train driver" narrative.
That narrative is out there though!!

I'm sure there are areas where Drivers would accept 4% with no strings, but i'm sure there would be areas where that would be rejected too. Don't forget Scotrail Drivers turned down 5% no strings despite ASLEF recommending acceptance.

ar10642

The majority of car journeys are only about a mile or 2, if you took these tiny little trips, rails percentage share would be larger.

Still doesn't change the fact that most people don't use the train on a regular basis. The strikes are barely making the news anymore. People that can work around it do, so really the only people badly affected are the very small section of the population that have no choice but to use them, and I doubt that's a big enough number of people for the government to care about anymore.

irish_rail

Established Member
That narrative is out there though!!

I'm sure there are areas where Drivers would accept 4% with no strings, but i'm sure there would be areas where that would be rejected too. Don't forget Scotrail Drivers turned down 5% no strings despite ASLEF recommending acceptance.
I can only talk about my patch (western region) and the consensus is 4 percent with zero strings would probably get through. And I'm confident a Labour government will offer that. Its just a shame we will have another year of this sh*t in the meantime whilst the unelected Sunak continues throwing his weight around trying to look powerful infront of the unions.

NI 271

Why is this view the one that’s always taken? The government seem happy to be doing just that also, in many ways other than just encouraging industrial action in many sectors. Where’s the criticism there?
Because some people think that railway staff (see also teachers, doctors, nurses, bin men, in fact anyone who isn't them) should be inconvenienced for the rest of their lives to prevent very occasional inconvenience for others.

Martin Niemoller's most noted work points out who they are, and what their values are.

Mattydo

You could just look at the published stats. Rail is only about 10% of journeys, vast majority is by car. In my network of family and friends I'm the only one who uses trains more than once or twice a year.
Does nobody here understand what an anecdote is? I already quoted the stats and yes I agree 1.8 billion of a total of 17 is 10% ish. But stick those extra journeys on the road. Many of them long distance journeys and see what effect it has. Not to mention the time added in a journey from say, Leeds to London.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You could just look at the published stats. Rail is only about 10% of journeys, vast majority is by car. In my network of family and friends I'm the only one who uses trains more than once or twice a year.

The majority of car journeys are only about a mile or 2, if you took out these tiny little trips from the stats, rails percentage share would be larger.

Rail is responsible for around 10% of ‘passenger’ km travelled, which in My view is the most sensible way of measuring Transport usage. In terms of trips, rail is around 1-2%.

We've clearly been watching different news channels.

What I’ve said isn’t coming from the news channels.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That may be the case, but my take home pay on a basic month is just over 3K, over 1K mortgage, other half only works part time, yes we're doing OK, but I wouldn't regard myself rich by any stretch of the imagination.
I know my definition of rich isn't "not doing badly". That is a *very* long way away from "the rich", and I'd find it impossible to agree with anyone who thinks £60kpa equates to the sort of money "the rich" have, because it's an order of magnitude - no, several orders of magnitude - removed from that.
My definition of rich doesn't touch most people in the top 10th percentile. Neither would many sensible people's. Lumping together people who earn £60,000 (and that's actually at the upper end of train driver salaries), with those earning the same in a month is a real stretch to make a point.
Try putting yourself in the shoes of someone on the median income, or on minimum wage. Yes, top 10th earners are a long way from the top 1%, but pleas of poverty will fall on deaf ears.

Silverlinky

I can only talk about my patch (western region) and the consensus is 4 percent with zero strings would probably get through. And I'm confident a Labour government will offer that. Its just a shame we will have another year of this sh*t in the meantime whilst the unelected Sunak continues throwing his weight around trying to look powerful infront of the unions.
I think my area (Midlands) would accept it too....there is an element of fatigue setting in.

The problem is that it would only be kicking the can down the road. It would then be straight into the 2024 talks pretty much, and the issue of productivity plus t's and c's won't go away with a one year deal.

ar10642

Does nobody here understand what an anecdote is? I already quoted the stats and yes I agree 1.8 billion of a total of 17 is 10% ish. But stick those extra journeys on the road. Many of them long distance journeys and see what effect it has. Not to mention the time added in a journey from say, Leeds to London.

We can already see what effect it has on strike days. The answer is next to nothing which is why the government can get away with ignoring the strikes for all this time.

NI 271

Try putting yourself in the shoes of someone on the median income, or on minimum wage. Yes, top 10th earners are a long way from the top 1%, but pleas of poverty will fall on deaf ears.
Nobody's pleading poverty, nor crying that train drivers are poorly-paid. But if you think "the rich" starts with people on £60kpa, you're simply detached from reality.

irish_rail

Established Member
I think my area (Midlands) would accept it too....there is an element of fatigue setting in.

The problem is that it would only be kicking the can down the road. It would then be straight into the 2024 talks pretty much, and the issue of productivity plus t's and c's won't go away with a one year deal.
Well if we are talking about productivity, let's talk about what might actually be productive, ie letting GWR drivers drive Voyagers and XC drivers drive IETs where they have the relevant route knowledge. There are many productivity savings to be had, its just the government only want to pick and choose the ones they know will be rejected outright by train drivers and Aslef.......

Val3ntine

Somehow, the union leaders are managing to convince the sheep (sorry - members) that industrial action wil bring success.
Sorry - they are wasting everybody's time. This government does not care how long disruption occurs, and there will be no more money. The only thing that happens will be a gradual, long term reduction in services, and lower recruitment to replace staff who leave / retire. And do not expect any early changes after the next election - even if Labour somehow manage to win. Money does not grow on trees, and Labour will not want to increase income tax or VAT.
(Expect a torrent of anti-Labour propaganda in the pro-Tory press in the months before that election. )

Okay and the public sector payrise that has been awarded to teachers/doctors etc? That was simply given as a gift was it? What would have happened if no action at all had been taken at the beginning? 0% that’s for sure! And look how long that action had been taken also, not just 1 or 2 strike days.

This screams desperation, people are desperate. Why can’t rail staff be desperate too? Honestly for a rail forum, rail staff really are loathed by many here. At the end of the day, whatever job or sector you work in; these are desperate times and being told by, especially rich and well-off people in government, to just simply tighten your pockets is not on.

Stand for something or fall for anything, too many posters on here really are hellbent to continue to do the latter.

irish_rail

Established Member
This screams desperation, people are desperate. Why can’t rail staff be desperate too? Honestly for a rail forum, rail staff really are loathed by many here.
Indeed, the anti rail staff vibe on here really is odd and thankfully doesn't seem to reflect wider public views. I find the travelling public to be extremely supportive and polite to us in the real world and I've had people come up to me saying they support our action. I am of course referring to "normal" people here, not enthusiasts, just normal every day travellers who can see that we are just doing our jobs and 4 years with no payrise whatsoever is never going to be fair in the current climate.

Silverlinky

Okay and the public sector payrise that has been awarded to teachers/doctors etc? That was simply given as a gift was it? What would have happened if no action at all had been taken at the beginning? 0% that’s for sure! And look how long that action had been taken also, not just 1 or 2 strike days.

This screams desperation, people are desperate. Why can’t rail staff be desperate too? Honestly for a rail forum, rail staff really are loathed by many here. At the end of the day, whatever job or sector you work in; these are desperate times and being told by, especially rich and well-off people in government, to just simply tighten your pockets is not on.

Stand for something or fall for anything, too many posters on here really are hellbent to continue to do the latter.!
The public sector pay rises were as a result of the pay review body recommending below inflation rate payrises, and the Government accepted the recommendation because it would have looked terrible if they hadn't! That money won't be new money either, it will be saved from existing budgets.

Unfortunately the railway does not have such a body, and the pay offer already made needed to be similarly self-funding, hence the attack on the t's and c's.

Mattydo

Nobody is claiming poverty but get real. If you don't know how people build their lives around an income and its ability to fund mortgages, pay loans on cars etc and the effect that inflation yearly has on the ability of a wage to meet those payments as well as paying for the basic needs of a family then I can't take the point seriously.

We're all stuck with capitalism, refusing to match wage increase with the rising costs of living is just a way for those at the top of the system to cheat the game, as they always do, to maintain and increase that financial power gap.

irish_rail

Established Member
The public sector pay rises were as a result of the pay review body recommending below inflation rate payrises, and the Government accepted the recommendation because it would have looked terrible if they hadn't! That money won't be new money either, it will be saved from existing budgets.

Unfortunately the railway does not have such a body, and the pay offer already made needed to be similarly self-funding, hence the attack on the t's and c's.
So why does every other industry not need a self funding payrise, despite the fact none of them contribute a penny to GDP?

Nobody is claiming poverty but get real. If you don't know how people build their lives around an income and its ability to fund mortgages, pay loans on cars etc and the effect that inflation yearly has on the ability of a wage to meet those payments as well as paying for the basic needs of a family then I can't take the point seriously.

We're all stuck with capitalism, refusing to match wage increase with the rising costs of living is just a way for those at the top of the system to cheat the game, as they always do, to maintain and increase that financial power gap.
Indeed. I risk losing my home next year due to living to my means which have now drastically changed thanks to Tory mismanagement. But hey, I'm just a greedy train driver so no worries.

Silverlinky

Well if we are talking about productivity, let's talk about what might actually be productive, ie letting GWR drivers drive Voyagers and XC drivers drive IETs where they have the relevant route knowledge. There are many productivity savings to be had, its just the government only want to pick and choose the ones they know will be rejected outright by train drivers and Aslef.......
That would just not be possible with the current model, which is still set up as a franchise model even if it isn't really run by franchises these days. Who trains the drivers to drive the other companies stock? What sort of mammoth time consuming project would that be?
I agree that there are many many ways that money could be saved, but it would need a radical review and dareIsay full nationalisation before we see things the like of your suggestion.

So why does every other industry not need a self funding payrise, despite the fact none of them contribute a penny to GDP?

Indeed. I risk losing my home next year due to living to my means which have now drastically changed thanks to Tory mismanagement. But hey, I'm just a greedy train driver so no worries.
You don't think the health service, teachers or the emergency services contribute a penny to GDP????

irish_rail

Established Member
That would just not be possible with the current model, which is still set up as a franchise model even if it isn't really run by franchises these days. Who trains the drivers to drive the other companies stock? What sort of mammoth time consuming project would that be?
I agree that there are many many ways that money could be saved, but it would need a radical review and dareIsay full nationalisation before we see things the like of your suggestion.
I agree with you. But if we are serious about cost savings in the long run these are the roads we must look at going down. Not trying to introduce Victorian working practices.

You don't think the health service, teachers or the emergency services contribute a penny to GDP????
The railways generate wealth for the economy , those industries less so ( though of course they are still absolutely vitally important ). But why are they not expected to make cost savings to fund their 5 or 6 percent payrises?????

Mattydo

We can already see what effect it has on strike days. The answer is next to nothing which is why the government can get away with ignoring the strikes for all this time.
3 hour service gaps on the GN. Halved stopping services on the TL route. Rainham services almost removed entirely. GTR customers might just find your assertions ridiculous.

Or take the more usual approach of accepting that some change is going to happen and negotiate around the specifics of the offer
Which assumes... As may seem intent on doing so here... That the DfT is at all open to such negotiations. When the PM tells junior doctors and other public sector workers that he's not interested in negotiating further no matter how much they strike or complain you might want to think a little bit about how his DfT might approach industrial relations.

Last edited:

ar10642

3 hour service gaps on the GN. Halved stopping services on the TL route. Rainham services almost removed entirely. GTR customers might just find your assertions ridiculous.
I am a GTR customer, or I am when they are running. But the point was about the effect on the roads which was basically nil.

In any case if the GTR service stopped entirely and indefinitely I doubt even that would particularly bother the government, simply not enough people are affected.

Mattydo

I am a GTR customer, or I am when they are running. But the point was about the effect on the roads which was basically nil.

In any case if the GTR service stopped entirely and indefinitely I doubt even that would particularly bother the government, simply not enough people are affected.
So the largest TOC in the country. Facilitating 340 million journeys across the southeast? Let's just cancel that and it'll have no effect that bothers the government. I really can't take a lot of these comments seriously. It's like being camped outside the national conservative convention.

irish_rail

Established Member
So the largest TOC in the country. Facilitating 340 million journeys across the southeast? Let's just cancel that and it'll have no effect that bothers the government. I really can't take a lot of these comments seriously. It's like being camped outside the national conservative convention.
Indeed. I find it amazing there are any Conservative voters left in this country, but hey , clearly there are!

ar10642

Indeed. I find it amazing there are any Conservative voters left in this country, but hey , clearly there are!

I've never voted Tory in my life and never will. These strikes have been going on for a year, including no GTR service at all on ASLEF strike days. Not working is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.