• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online Assessment Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

DepotDosser

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the best books are to buy/download for each part of the application process please?
I’m about to do an online assessment and have to do it (as many of you know) in 5 days!

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marc5203

I’m not sure there are revision papers/books situation judgement test which I suspect is the one you are taking dependant on position applied for.

Bridger

I'm doubtful there is any revision you can do for online tests/ SJT. They differ between TOCs, and are a measure on your personality mainly. Something you can't revise for. :)

DepotDosser

Thanks. Just seen on Amazon there are many books that claim to help with each stage to help you get an idea and was just wondering whether some are better than others?

Seejwalker

Thanks. Just seen on Amazon there are many books that claim to help with each stage to help you get an idea and was just wondering whether some are better than others?
SJT is based on your personal approach to a situation. The stage one test you will be told what tests you are doing. All you need to do is make sure you understand the tests and you can't go wrong. The stage two test, you should be sent a practice pack before hand, but again just do a little Internet search and familiarise yourself with the tests. Ultimately, you can either do it or you can't.

Marc5203

All the information you need is on here.

I’ve my DMI soon and have passed all the assessments. I brought some ‘how to be’ books but to be honest I wasted my money.

All the info you will need is on here. The SJT is, as has been alluded to, how you would deal with a situation. Just look at the most likely answer considering safety is paramount with customer service coming a close second but not at the expense of safety. That was my approach and I passed.

Just read the questions and look at the answers where most likely there will be an obvious and really obvious answer along with a crazy one generally.

From what I recall the SJT isn’t timed and so take your time doing it (I think you have to do it in one session).

HTH.

KeKe Real

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the best books are to buy/download for each part of the application process, please?
I’m about to do an online assessment and have to do it (as many of you know) in 5 days!

Thanks
Me too I applied for the Trainee Train Driver ref GTR/2271 I've got until the 29/03 to do mine but I want to know what to expect so I can prepare.

ninhog

The help and advice offered on these forums is more than sufficient to help anyone with each stage of their application.
I genuinely believe it’s possible to try too hard, which is why applicants fail despite viewing/purchasing every known resource and practicing non-stop for hours.

DepotDosser

Thanks for your help. Good to know as there are a lot of books out there which could add up to a lot of money!

Whi

I bought a "how to become book", total waste of money.

I purchased extra practice material from The Opc website (they were doing the assessing for the freight company I was applying to), these were really helpful

ROBERT KALFAS

All the information you need is on here.

I’ve my DMI soon and have passed all the assessments. I brought some ‘how to be’ books but to be honest I wasted my money.

All the info you will need is on here. The SJT is, as has been alluded to, how you would deal with a situation. Just look at the most likely answer considering safety is paramount with customer service coming a close second but not at the expense of safety. That was my approach and I passed.

Just read the questions and look at the answers where most likely there will be an obvious and really obvious answer along with a crazy one generally.

From what I recall the SJT isn’t timed and so take your time doing it (I think you have to do it in one session).

HTH.

Well done to you and thanks for write up.
Can you please tell if there was more than just SJT? I mean like NPT or VRT? I know it is impossible to prepare for SJT and every company have different approach but understanding of business requirement is the key to get answers right.

Marc5203

Thanks buddy

Depends on the TOC. I’m going for WMT and from what I understand there are different test but think they follow the same principles of safety and customer service as this is essentially what you job is essentially all about (apart from driving the train!).

4F89

I purchased nothing extra, just OPC practise stuff, which I only familiarised myself with, not practiced, and passed everything first time. Do not waste your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.