• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OPC making errors when conducting Assessments! Be Careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple77

You get 2 attempts and your second may also be with the OPC. Will you avoid the OPC if given a second attempt ? If a TOC decides to send you to the OPC will you refuse and reapply for a different TOC ? If the outcome of your complaint is that the OPC offer a second attempt and reset your lost life, will you accept it ?
I would definitely try to avoid the OPC going forwards and I've been informed it is something you can find out before even applying. Many TOC's carry out the assessments in house. Also I hold no illusions that my outcome will be reversed or that I'll be able to retake. I have friends that work @ South eastern, Arriva Rail and they both have said the MMI questions should be read word for word not paraphrased, so definitely the assessors error.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twotwo

The question is " Give an example of when you have taken the lead or control in an emergency/pressurised situation" she asked " Give an example of when you had to deal with an emergency/pressurised situation"

I'm pretty sure she asked me the same question and I passed. And also on my notes when I was preparing it I had written 'give an example of when you have dealt with a emergency and high pressurised situation'. I don't think it matters tbh.

How did you answer it?

Twotwo

Btw i don't think it matters if they said lead or control because the whole point of question is that it wants to know what YOU did. It wants to know how YOU took CONTROL of the situation.

Perhaps your answer wasn't strong enough.

Twotwo

Also I failed the first time and I completely understood why. I think you need to just accept your answer wasn't strong enough and you didn't demonstrate your skills properly.

Purple77

I'm pretty sure she asked me the same question and I passed. And also on my notes when I was preparing it I had written 'give an example of when you have dealt with a emergency and high pressurised situation'. I don't think it matters tbh.

How did you answer it?
It definitely matters, the key words are "lead and control" if it didn't they wouldn't phrase the question that way.

Purple77

Also I failed the first time and I completely understood why. I think you need to just accept your answer wasn't strong enough and you didn't demonstrate your skills properly.
We're you asked the correct questions?

Purple77

Btw i don't think it matters if they said lead or control because the whole point of question is that it wants to know what YOU did. It wants to know how YOU took CONTROL of the situation.

You've made my point exactly, if they don't use the words LEAD or CONTROL, how do you know what answer they're expecting? It's a pyschometric test, they may be looking for your emotional response to emergencies. If the questions and how their phrased wasn't important, they'd let the assessors wing it on the day. The questions are formatted for a reason or am I incorrect?

Twotwo

It definitely matters, the key words are "lead and control" if it didn't they wouldn't phrase the question that way.

No it doesn't. Both the question yeield the same response. I was asked the same question as you (when have you been in an emergency situation) and I passed. Again, on my notes when I was preparing for the q I only prepared for 'dealing with an emergency' . And up until this point I actually thoughthat was the question so didn't even prepare for leading or controlling. However if you broke down the question and explored what are they actally asking and want from you then about taking control of the situation and diffusing it. How else can you deal in a emergency situation and not take control of it ???????!

Twotwo

You've made my point exactly, if they don't use the words LEAD or CONTROL, how do you know what answer they're expecting? It's a pyschometric test, they may be looking for your emotional response to emergencies. If the questions and how their phrased wasn't important, they'd let the assessors wing it on the day. The questions are formatted for a reason or am I incorrect?

It's common sense. U should have sat down and broke down the questions. What is it they want you from you? They want to know you are able to keep a cool head, take control of the situation before it gets worse and dicuss what you did.

You still haven't told me your response.

Purple77

Also by your answer have you al
No it doesn't. Both the question yeidl the same response. I was asked the same question as you (when have you been in an emergency situation) and I passed. Again, on my notes when I was preparing for the q I only prepared for 'dealing with an emergency' . And up until this point I actually thoughthat was the question so didn't even prepare for leading or controlling. However if you broke down the question and explored what are they actally asking and want from you then about taking control of the situation and diffusing it.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Twotwo

What example did you give? Maybe if you shared it, one of us could actually guide you.

Purple77

It's common sense. U should have sat down and broke down the questions. What is it they want you from you? They want to know you are able to keep a cool head, take control of the situation before it gets worse and dicuss what you did.

You still haven't told me your response.
It's funny how you keep using the word control in your responses to me but you think it wasn't important enough to be included in the question. My emergency situation was in regards to a family member and that's not something I will be sharing on here.

Twotwo

It's funny how you keep using the word control in your responses to me but you think it wasn't important enough to be included in the question. My emergency situation was in regards to a family member and that's not something I will be sharing on here.

Because I don't think it's important. I didn't even no the question was about leading or taking control. Its jus a bit of common sense. Like I said I broke down the question and I really thought about what they are asking. Why is it important to show you can handle pressured and emergency situations? What skill are they requiring from you? And also its not like I said to him ohhh I took control of the situation by doing this and that. I obv demonstrated well enough by discussing what I did. Simple really. You dealing with the situation is taking control of it.

Maybe your answer was weak in the sense you discuss what others did. But i don't think the way the question was asked is a reason or indicator.

What question was written on the sheet?

Purple77

Because I don't think it's important. I didn't even no the question was about leading or taking control. Its jus a bit of common sense. Like I said I broke down the question and I really thought about what they are asking. Why is it important to show you can handle pressured and emergency situations? What skill are they requiring from you? And also its not like I said to him ohhh I took control of the situation by doing this and that. I obv demonstrated well enough by discussing what I did. Simple really. You dealing with the situation is taking control of it.

Maybe your answer was weak in the sense you discuss what others did. But i don't think the way the question was asked is a reason or indicator.

What question was written on the sheet?
As I said you're entitled to your opinion. And I can't remember exactly word for word what was written on the sheet, and why would that matter anyway as you just said how the question is phrased doesn't make a difference.

Twotwo

As I said you're entitled to your opinion. And I can't remember exactly word for word what was written on the sheet, and why would that matter anyway as you just said how the question is phrased doesn't make a difference.

So how are you sure that was the wrong q that was asked ???????? Like I said I always assumed it to be dealing with an emergency or high pressurised situation. I'm trying to help you here but it looks like you wanna blame everyone except yourself! Quite a horrible and wrong attitude you have. I failed so I know excatly what you are feeling but if you want to succed then you need take some time out and see where you've went wrong.

Purple77

So how are you sure that was the wrong q that was asked ???????? Like I said I always assumed it to be dealing with an emergency or high pressurised situation. I'm trying to help you here but it looks like you wanna blame everyone except yourself! Quite a horrible and wrong attitude you have. I failed so I know excatly what you are feeling but if you want to succed then you need take some time out and see where you've went wrong.
Not in the slightest. I know what question I failed on because The OPC told be when I called for my feedback and obviously I know what question I was asked. There's nothing wrong with my attitude, if it was my own error I would own it, have no problems with that at all. And also there's no personal gain here, you think The OPC would ever admit their assessor made a mistake?? Never! My original post was for information. People work very hard, spend time and money and invest in themselves. Assessors make mistakes and from some of the messages I've recieved mine isn't the first instance. I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me.

Twotwo

No I'm asking you how are you so sure they asked you the wrong question? Are you 100% sure the question was supposed to include lead and control??

If you search for the mmi questions on here you will find no one has mentioned lead or control in the emergency question. I did a quick search now and it's literally been summarised as dealing with an emergency scenario.

So no I don't think you've been hard done by. I think your example probably wasn't strong enough.

Purple77

Not in the slightest. I know what question I failed on because The OPC told be when I called for my feedback and obviously I know what question I was asked. There's nothing wrong with my attitude, if it was my own error I would own it, have no problems with that at all. And also there's no personal gain here, you think The OPC would ever admit their assessor made a mistake?? Never! My original post was for information. People work very hard, spend time and money and invest in themselves. Assessors make mistakes and from some of the messages I've recieved mine isn't the first instance. I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me.
Also "dealing with" and "taking the lead
No I'm asking you how are you so sure they asked you the wrong question? Are you 100% sure the question was supposed to include lead and control??

If you search for the mmi questions on here you will find no one has mentioned lead or control in the emergency question. I did a quick search now and it's literally been summarised as dealing with an emergency scenario.

So no I don't think you've been hard done by. I think your example probably wasn't strong enough.
I answered these questions.
I remember the questions I was asked.
The guy at the OPC confirmed exactly what question 4 is/was word for word.
It's information anyone can get from them about their results.
If you don't believe me call them yourself.

I could care less if you think I was hard done by or not, again you're missing the point. So we'll agree to disagree. Thanks for the input

Val3ntine

I would like to add my two pence here that every question is related to what a train driver could come across, the way to tackle these is to always think to yourself how is this related to the role of a train driver and what would a train driver need to do. I have to agree with twotwo here in the sense that it shouldn’t matter how a question is asked, if you think like the above you should always be fine. Any emergency type of question if you compare to the role of a train driver taking control, taking the lead, remaining calm, asserting authority and many more should all be things that are covered in your answer, if your answer is not able to demonstrate that then another is certainly needed that can.
I believe researching extensively what the role of a train driver is will put you in good stead for the MMI and that is what gets people through regardless of how questions are asked wether obvious prompting words are used or not.
As far as I know all the 6 question criteria's have many many different formats and different candidates will be asked different ones, the whole point of the situational judgment exercise that is done prior is to determine which questions you are asked and perhaps even how the examiner asks you it. For all you know perhaps you selected strong responses in the situational judgment that proved you to be someone who takes a lead in things so the interviewer thought no need to word it in the question as it’s in your personality/method of thinking anyway so would show in your response.
Main thing really is know the role of a train driver inside out and think “what would a train driver do” and you can’t go far wrong as THAT’S the answer their expecting. (There’s a thought I should invest in some T-shirts with the lettering WWATDD)

Last edited:

Twotwo

I'm pretty much sure all of us here was asked the question in the same format as you. I know I certainly was. So are you saying that you would have changed your answer if the interviewer had included 'control' and 'taking the lead'?

To be fair, without you telling us your answer or your response there's nothing more that can be said.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I think the conspiracy theories on here are quite funny.

Do you honestly think they fail people so they have people come back and the toc gives them more money

Get a grip.

The opc has an endless supply of candidates to test as trainee vacancies are always over subscribedn the only thing stopping them running tests 24/7 365 days a year is the amount of vacancies the TOCS have.

The mmi is opinion just because you think you smashed it doesn't mean you pass to their standard they are not only looking at your answers but are assessing your behaviours aswel.

It's not an endless supply of candidates at all, there's not that many vacancies. So definitely in their interests to get as many candidates through. It's just business sense.

Liam00086

The main questions are written down on the piece of paper before you go in for the MMI, you then put a paragraph as an answer. With this in mind I don’t understand how you could be asked the wrong question? They literally read it off the piece of paper you wrote your answers on.

Stigy

Established Member
I would definitely try to avoid the OPC going forwards and I've been informed it is something you can find out before even applying. Many TOC's carry out the assessments in house. Also I hold no illusions that my outcome will be reversed or that I'll be able to retake. I have friends that work @ South eastern, Arriva Rail and they both have said the MMI questions should be read word for word not paraphrased, so definitely the assessors error.
Good luck with that.

It’s hard enough to get a Trainee Driver job in the first place. Factor in being picky about who assesses you and you’re on a hiding to nothing.

Also, I wouldn’t say “many TOCs” carry out their tests in-house. As far as I’m aware far more use the OPC than don’t. I know SWR don’t, but that’s all I’m aware of, judging by the posts and threads here at least.

Purple77

The main questions are written down on the piece of paper before you go in for the MMI, you then put a paragraph as an answer. With this in mind I don’t understand how you could be asked the wrong question? They literally read it off the piece of paper you wrote your answers on.

I know plenty of drivers who didn't deal with the OPC, I'm more than happy to be selective in this matter but that's my choice not for everyone.

train_lover

I know plenty of drivers who didn't deal with the OPC, I'm more than happy to be selective in this matter but that's my choice not for everyone.
Unfortunately I think you'll find that the OPC play a bigger part in these tests than you think. I sat all of my test with DB last year. The OPC then verify and store my results. As far as I know who ever runs the assessment day at some point the OPC will be involved.

Stigy

Established Member
Since you know “plenty” of Drivers who have bypassed the OPC, Perhaps you would care to share with us here exactly which TOCs/FOCs do not use the OPC? It would be worthwhile information...

cancatsdance

I failed MMI and i actually guessed which question i messed up on, and they confirmed it by phone. anyway long story short im now a year later and having to do them all again with OPC and not just the one i failed as so many people say

Status
Not open for further replies.