• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OPC Stage 2 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigledge95

Hi, I'm due to attend the Stage 2 of the OPC assessments. I believe that it will involve computerised tests and a Multi Modal Interview. can anyone give me more info on what to expect from the testing? Any info Is greatly appreciated TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clearprop40

Hi, I'm due to attend the Stage 2 of the OPC assessments. I believe that it will involve computerised tests and a Multi Modal Interview. can anyone give me more info on what to expect from the testing? Any info Is greatly appreciated TIA
First test is 21 questions based on situational judgement. The way you answer these questions will then dictate what questions you get asked at the multi modal interview. The next three tests are computer based. First one is looking at a flashing dark grey box and hitting a green button when it changes to black. It's a very noticeable change and don't make the mistake of thinking it starts flashing black it won't it will be dark grey. This test lasts for 30 minutes. The next one is the picture memory test where a street scene ( America based) flashes up where you are to remember what you seen in the very brief time it appears. You are looking for Traffic signs, pedestrians, traffic lights, scooters bicycles and motorcycles finally motor vehicles. 16 slides and for most this is quite tricky. Don't guess just answer with what you see. Final test is the two had coordination where you use two joysticks to navigate a red ball around a simulated track one joystick controls lateral movement the other vertical movement.The track shape remains the same and speed and accuracy are of equal importance. You will be unable to keep the ball within the track at all times just correct as quickly and efficiently as soon as it departs. Should you pass these tests you will then be given 6 questions which you have time to prepare answers. For example but not specifically they are like "give me an example when you've had to take control of an emergency situation"
Answer all these 6 questions using the STAR method and you can use non work related scenarios to answer. It's also important to remember the role of a driver and couch your responses in a manner that demonstrates you have or previously had the qualities and attributes that would make a good train driver. They will definitely ask probing questions which is nothing to be alarmed by.
Regards
Kev

bigledge95

First test is 21 questions based on situational judgement. The way you answer these questions will then dictate what questions you get asked at the multi modal interview. The next three tests are computer based. First one is looking at a flashing dark grey box and hitting a green button when it changes to black. It's a very noticeable change and don't make the mistake of thinking it starts flashing black it won't it will be dark grey. This test lasts for 30 minutes. The next one is the picture memory test where a street scene ( America based) flashes up where you are to remember what you seen in the very brief time it appears. You are looking for Traffic signs, pedestrians, traffic lights, scooters bicycles and motorcycles finally motor vehicles. 16 slides and for most this is quite tricky. Don't guess just answer with what you see. Final test is the two had coordination where you use two joysticks to navigate a red ball around a simulated track one joystick controls lateral movement the other vertical movement.The track shape remains the same and speed and accuracy are of equal importance. You will be unable to keep the ball within the track at all times just correct as quickly and efficiently as soon as it departs. Should you pass these tests you will then be given 6 questions which you have time to prepare answers. For example but not specifically they are like "give me an example when you've had to take control of an emergency situation"
Answer all these 6 questions using the STAR method and you can use non work related scenarios to answer. It's also important to remember the role of a driver and couch your responses in a manner that demonstrates you have or previously had the qualities and attributes that would make a good train driver. They will definitely ask probing questions which is nothing to be alarmed by.
Regards
Kev
Thanks so much for all the info. When it comes to the multi modal interview as you’ve said they’ll be looking for key words on how I felt in the different situations. Do I only use positive feelings or is it worth using some feelings such as overwhelmed, nervous etc to then tell them how I overcame those feeling to achieve a positive outcome? TIA

Choooochoooo

Regards
Kev
The situational judgemental questions have no bearing on the MMI what so ever. Everyone gets the same 6 questions whenever it is sat.

Aviator88

The situational judgemental questions have no bearing on the MMI what so ever. Everyone gets the same 6 questions whenever it is sat.

It's my understanding that the situational judgment questions will influence the  line of questioning during the MMI. So, whilst the questions themselves remain static, the probing may ebb and flow in a way that reflects one's SJT answers.

This is all anecdotal based on what I've read here, however!

Clearprop40

Thanks so much for all the info. When it comes to the multi modal interview as you’ve said they’ll be looking for key words on how I felt in the different situations. Do I only use positive feelings or is it worth using some feelings such as overwhelmed, nervous etc to then tell them how I overcame those feeling to achieve a positive outcome? TIA
You need to be honest. Not everything you've experienced will be sugar and spice and all things nice. All the emotions you stated shapes your future experiences and judgment. The MMI is to catch the robotic responses when they are looking for the human element. If you were to deal with an emergency situation and you said you felt nothing then that would be dishonest. The type of answer would be I kept calm I communicated, I assessed, I reassured, I delegated. That's just an example for an emergency situation. Very generic but probably what they look for.

Aviator88

If you were to deal with an emergency situation and you said you felt nothing then that would be dishonest.

That's precisely what I said during mine - I 'thought' lots of different things, but I didn't (and don't) remember 'feeling' anything. I actually apologised as they kept pressing me, but the truth was there wasn't anything to give.

I passed.

stevetuk

Is the CBI for Avanti the same as the MMI? I'm confused on the terminology.
If I failed the CBI (awaiting feedback) does this count as a lost life as it forms part of the overall Stage 2? Or, can I freely apply to other TOCs?

OL-3944

Last month I sat OPC stage 2 and failed the MMI. This is my second go, is there any hope of the tests being refreshed and getting my 2 lives back?

EMAA

Hi. Thanks to all for the information provided. Is there a page on here which hints at what questions might be asked for the MMI? I saw that there is potentially one on dealing with emergency situations, but I’d like to prepared for as many as possible. Thanks again.

NorthernTech

There are many threads that have asked this question.. So much so, there is an entire sticky thread at the top of the page dedicated to Assessment and Exams. Together with the search bar, you should be able to find everything you need on here regarding any driver psychometric test.

Status
Not open for further replies.