• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Openable windows on VEPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
As well as the drop lights, the VEPs had sealed up high level opening windows. I started travelling on them in the early 90s and even then they were all screwed shut. When were they sealed up, and why? The droplights always gave a very draughty type of ventilation.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
Simplistic guess - too many opening windows cause problems with carriage washers?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah... these were the ones immediately adjacent to the luggage racks weren't they? There may be a clue in that positioning...

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Early 80s I'd guess - had certainly been done well before 1986 when I moved away from Kent, but I do remember them opening (starting spotting in 1976/7ish).

WesternLancer

Established Member
As well as the drop lights, the VEPs had sealed up high level opening windows. I started travelling on them in the early 90s and even then they were all screwed shut. When were they sealed up, and why? The droplights always gave a very draughty type of ventilation.

Cheers.
I'd forgotten them. I used to commute to school on coastway circa 1982-87 and stock was often VEPs. I don't recall those windows opening then. No shortage of ventilation from the door drop lights, or in winter, from draughts round the doors!

AY1975

Established Member
Yes, perhaps when the orange curtains were removed? The latter made quite good flags if tempted towards those windows.

I think the sliding top vents were sealed and the curtains removed in about 1980ish at least on the standard VEPs, as I seem to recall that Alan Williams wrote about it in his regular column in Modern Railways at about that time (the May 1980 issue IIRC). The Victoria-Gatwick 4-VEG units retained their curtains until they were converted back to standard VEPs in 1984 after the introduction of the Gatwick Express, though. Not sure if the VEGs also retained their opening top vents until then or had them sealed at the same time as the rest of the VEP fleet.

A few VEPs actually had the top vents removed and replaced by single pane windows, but this was never extended to the whole fleet.

In some ways I think it's a wonder that they bothered with those top vents in the first place, as all other units with a suburban style seating and door/window layout relied solely on the door droplights for ventilation, but I suppose as the VEPs were at least initially intended for long-distance semi-fast services such as Waterloo-Bournemouth it was probably thought that the sliding top vents would be less draughty (and thus more tolerable on longer-distance journeys) so passengers should be encouraged to open them rather than the door droplights.

I suspect that it was also only because they were meant for longer-distance services that they bothered with curtains so that they'd be on a par with the CEPs, CIGs, REPs, TCs and the like, all of which had curtains throughout when built.

thedbdiboy

As afr as I could work out the 'sealing up' seemed to consist simply of removing the spring loaded release catch and the latch it sat over and screwing a metal plate across the mounting brackets for both. I was quite tempted to unscrew the bracket and see if the vent would still slide back.....

WesternLancer

Established Member
As afr as I could work out the 'sealing up' seemed to consist simply of removing the spring loaded release catch and the latch it sat over and screwing a metal plate across the mounting brackets for both. I was quite tempted to unscrew the bracket and see if the vent would still slide back.....
Thant means I reckon they were sealed up prior to 1982 when I started commuting to school on them and have no recollection of such latches/release mechanism. Unless memory has failed me...

Colin1501

I think the sliding top vents were sealed and the curtains removed in about 1980ish at least on the standard VEPs, as I seem to recall that Alan Williams wrote about it in his regular column in Modern Railways at about that time (the May 1980 issue IIRC). The Victoria-Gatwick 4-VEG units retained their curtains until they were converted back to standard VEPs in 1984 after the introduction of the Gatwick Express, though. Not sure if the VEGs also retained their opening top vents until then or had them sealed at the same time as the rest of the VEP fleet.

A few VEPs actually had the top vents removed and replaced by single pane windows, but this was never extended to the whole fleet.

In some ways I think it's a wonder that they bothered with those top vents in the first place, as all other units with a suburban style seating and door/window layout relied solely on the door droplights for ventilation, but I suppose as the VEPs were at least initially intended for long-distance semi-fast services such as Waterloo-Bournemouth it was probably thought that the sliding top vents would be less draughty (and thus more tolerable on longer-distance journeys) so passengers should be encouraged to open them rather than the door droplights.

I suspect that it was also only because they were meant for longer-distance services that they bothered with curtains so that they'd be on a par with the CEPs, CIGs, REPs, TCs and the like, all of which had curtains throughout when built.

Didn't the Class 310 and 312 AC units also have sliding vents in the windows? They also had 'semi suburban' interiors, but worked similar sorts of services to the VEPs

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Didn't the Class 310 and 312 AC units also have sliding vents in the windows? They also had 'semi suburban' interiors, but worked similar sorts of services to the VEPs
They didn't have doors to every bay - there were a few "full size" windows with sliding vents. Where adjacent seating bays had doors, there were two smaller ones between each pair rather than one bigger one as with the VEP. These small windows didn't open and would probably have been too small to have sliding vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.