• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operative(off track)

Golfer89

Hi guys, I have been offered an interview for an operative(off track) in Scotland. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on.
1. What is involved on a daily basis
2. What shift pattern is(it does involves nights/weekends)
3. How does overtime work? I.e roster premium etc how much extra would this be?
Also any tips for the interview would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Hi guys, I have been offered an interview for an operative(off track) in Scotland. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on.
Anyone help?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
In the absence of any reply these would be good questions to ask at interview.

Charladenz

Not sure if your position is with Network Rail or another company but you can search all the threads on here for specific words - using the magnifying glass at the top of the forum. Worth a try for the role you have applied for.

Good luck :)

Golfer89

Not sure if your position is with Network Rail or another company but you can search all the threads on here for specific words - using the magnifying glass at the top of the forum. Worth a try for the role you have applied for.

Good luck :)
Yeah position is with network rail. I have searched and found some information was hoping for any extra. Thanks

Saltire1973

Anyone help?
Hi Golfer - sorry I can't help with your question, but is your application for the recent vacancies for Edinburgh? I also applied but haven't been invited to interview (yet).

I got an email stating my application had been passed to the Hiring Manager for consideration, but nothing further yet. I know railway recruitment can be slow so was pleasantly surprised to see progress as the closing date was only last Tuesday.

Good luck with your application and if you wouldn't mind posting your progress and any other information you find out, I would be grateful

Golfer89

Hi Golfer - sorry I can't help with your question, but is your application for the recent vacancies for Edinburgh? I also applied but haven't been invited to interview (yet).

I got an email stating my application had been passed to the Hiring Manager for consideration, but nothing further yet. I know railway recruitment can be slow so was pleasantly surprised to see progress as the closing date was only last Tuesday.

Good luck with your application and if you wouldn't mind posting your progress and any other information you find out, I would be grateful
Hi Saltire no mines is for Perth. I think I got an email for interview around 1 week-10 days. Thanks yeah I shall keep you updated. Good luck

Golfer89

I have just had my interview. The shifts are 2 weeks day shift and 2 weeks night shift. Day shift is 7.30-5 and night shift is 10-7.30 my confusion is it is advertised at 35per week so these don’t add up(in my head) also I didn’t ask about shift enhancements. Can anyone enlighten me to how shift enhancement works it says 10% shift premium for nights and rest/overtime. Can someone explain how much extra could be earned or is the salary with all these already factored in? I can’t seem to figure it out. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

hull015

Hi in regards to hours. I would suggest that hours are correct but haven't factored in your break period to come off that. In regards to pay, I would suggest the advertised amount would be the basic and then anything earned additional on top of that.

Ducatist4

You'll have mandatory breaks that you don't get paid for but take up part of your working day. Where i am we have to take a minimum of 30 minutes at lunchtime for instance.

Golfer89

Hi in regards to hours. I would suggest that hours are correct but haven't factored in your break period to come off that. In regards to pay, I would suggest the advertised amount would be the basic and then anything earned additional on top of that.
Hi Hull I appreciate the feedback. Any idea on how to calculate the enhancement ie 10% of hourly wage/ daily? Yeah I did think breaks which makes sense. Any insight as to how much extra the enhancements are worth?

You'll have mandatory breaks that you don't get paid for but take up part of your working day. Where i am we have to take a minimum of 30 minutes at lunchtime for instance.
h

Hi mate appreciate the response are you off track? Do you know how much enhancements are worth or calculated?

Golfer89

Have you received any word yet?

Golfer89

Yes - unfortunately I got the "Thanks for your application, but on this occasion................" email. How did you get on?
Aww that sucks! Don’t let it put you off. What’s the plans now still apply for the railway? I had an interview today which I thought went well but I believe they are interviewing for a couple of days so I imagine there is a lot of candidates. But fingers crossed I get it

Saltire1973

Aww that sucks! Don’t let it put you off. What’s the plans now still apply for the railway? I had an interview today which I thought went well but I believe they are interviewing for a couple of days so I imagine there is a lot of candidates. But fingers crossed I get it
Hi Golfer, I've got a couple of applications in with Scotrail, one is showing as "under consideration" and one showing "under further consideration" but their recruitment department are painfully slow, I suspect they are very understaffed. I've had one of those applications in since May last year and the other since February.

I've also applied for another position with NR, which is still being processed. Also looking at something at the Airport, but my heart is really on the railways.

Can't complain though, I'm in a fairly good position financially and workwise.

Fingers crossed that your interview went well and your successful :D