• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Opinions on the quality of journalism in RAIL magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Didn't Christian Wolmar write a piece in one of the tabeloids a few years back labelling a group of enthusiasts Nazis? It concerned a seminar shot of Peak enthusiasts on a memorial train performing the traditional flailing pose. Mr Wolmer I believe credited this as giving Nazi salutes! Surprisingly this was never mentioned in his Rail column. This caused embarrassment to those appearing in the said photo. I've never taken that man seriously since.
Wasn't RE every two months at the start?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Every edition has errors.
To me the magazine seems to represent and is the mouthpiece of the train companies rather than being a critical friend.
Quality is getting poorer.

Can't recall ever criticism of train companies by the magazine or of the DfT.
Thinking of cancelling my subscription i. Dont like pages and pages on focusing on HS2. They should launch a new magazine called HS2. Poor journalism and obvious lack of proof reading without trying to insult proper journalists . It needs a new editor and reporters team.
It would help if Harris and Clinnick put as much effort into producing the magazine as they do into using Twitter. The accuracy of the magazine is just laughable.

northernbelle

I find 'Rail' to be quite balanced - there's columnists I can't bear to read because they're often so wide of the mark, in my opinion. But there's also a lot in there I do agree with.

They do a pretty good job of 'celebrating' the industry as well - if I wanted 70 pages of moaning and griping I'd read an online forum or similar.

I've read every edition for about 25 years and they've always managed to stay broadly relevant to what's going on

Status
Not open for further replies.