• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Optare Solo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Ashton

I've heard multiple rumours that Optare/Switch has started doing small numbers of diesel powered Solos again after the electric side of buses fell off a cliff...is anyone able to confirm/deny this? I know there have been the sporadic 'new' Solos built but only in a single digit numbers bar the NI ones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
They were making buses for Dubai, I think. Maybe it's an export order?

Aaron Ashton

They were making buses for Dubai, I think. Maybe it's an export order?
Well, Optare/Switch built new Solos for Sargeants, Flintshire Council, Hatch Green (these 3 having 72 plates) and London Fire Brigade (on 23 plates) so I'm wondering if they're doing what they did with the Omnidekka and keeping the product as a special order product?

Mollman

Established Member
I seem to recall one of the issue was that they were no longer able to get new Daimler engines, however they might still be offering Cummins. It wouldn't surprise me if they have changed their mind given no-one seems to be ordering Solo EVs and they don't want to leave the midibus market to Mellor.

MotCO

Established Member
I seem to recall one of the issue was that they were no longer able to get new Daimler engines, however they might still be offering Cummins. It wouldn't surprise me if they have changed their mind given no-one seems to be ordering Solo EVs and they don't want to leave the midibus market to Mellor.
Or Streetlite df (do wrightbus still make it /does anyone want to buy them?) Or the new ADL100

I've heard multiple rumours that Optare/Switch has started doing small numbers of diesel powered Solos again after the electric side of buses fell off a cliff...is anyone able to confirm/deny this? I know there have been the sporadic 'new' Solos built but only in a single digit numbers bar the NI ones.
It would seem so.

Stagecoach has announced new diesel slimline solos have been purchased, alongside some Metrocity EVs as well.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The recent Stagecoach order is being discussed here:

Status
Not open for further replies.