• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Optare Versa or Streetlite ??? what is the best and worst of each ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil1973

Hi,

i'm trying to find out which would be the lesser of the 2 evils from a driver point of view.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Observer

Streetlites hands down. Not the best of things to drive in hot weather. Plus the overall reliability of them.

AB93

100% StreetLite.

The cabs of Versas are a bit cramped but they’re nice enough to drive.

StreetLites are absolutely terrible to drive.

In terms of the current hot weather though then I’d say both have cab windows seemingly designed especially to have no air flow whatsoever.

darloscott

Never driven a Versa (would like a chance!) but having driven Streetlites daily for a year and a half they’re not my favourite... the steering seems to be heavy for no reason and the cab is very cheap plastic. Have to say one plus point is the layout of the cab switches all in easy reach, even if somebody decided to stick the hazard switch right above the engine off button!
As others have said cab windows are tiny so not much fun in the summer and the plasticky squeaking from the cab wall can be ultra annoying too.

Established Member
I don't like driving StreetLites at all, not a fan of those I'm afraid.

I've not driven a Versa so can't comment on those.

cnjb8

Established Member
What about your morden day buses. Nothing like Volvo Olympian or stuff like that (even though they are great).

MotCO

Established Member
Then why do companies keep buying Streetlites? Are they just cheap or readily available? One route in Bromley (227) has just lost ts Citaros for Streetlites - I wonder what the punters think of the change?

darloscott

Fairly cheap purchase in comparison to other offerings and most models I believe are LCEB certified giving you an uplift in BSOG on top of being fuel efficient makes them arguably very cheap to run

Jordan Adam

Established Member
What about your morden day buses. Nothing like Volvo Olympian or stuff like that (even though they are great).

I mean the Streetlite is probably on par with the Volvo Olympian for premature chassis corrosion!

Fairly cheap purchase in comparison to other offerings and most models I believe are LCEB certified giving you an uplift in BSOG on top of being fuel efficient makes them arguably very cheap to run

Could comment in all cases but certainly the figures on paper and the figures in reality for the fuel efficiency of a Streetlite are two different things. You get much better MPG from the ADL offerings, not to mention the ADL's don't have a tendency to spill all their coolant!

Then why do companies keep buying Streetlites? Are they just cheap or readily available? One route in Bromley (227) has just lost ts Citaros for Streetlites - I wonder what the punters think of the change?

There's been a reduction in the number of operators buying them, after First had a disagreement with Wright over build quality a few years back they've stopped fully outright purchasing Streetlite's - with the only recent deliveries being those funded by local authorities (Sheffield for example).

phil1973

The company I work for have about 30 versas, most are 2 years old. The problem with them is the cab area. A lot of drivers are having back, hip and leg problems due to the lack of left side movement. Constant moving to see mirrors and operate switches are also an issue. We are pushing this issue through Unite.
The company have a contract with Optare and also one with wright's for low floor urban buses and its looking likely that the next batch will be streetlites rather than versas. We don't want to be getting a fleet with more problems for our drivers than the fleet we are questioning if that makes sense.

4REP

From a passenger point of view the optare versa is the best or preferred option. I have the choice of Versas to Leeds and Streelites to Bradford. They look more attractive (Aireline/Mainline) Transdev purchases. The seats have more padding and are always clean inside.First buses including streetlites in the Leeds and Bradford area are never clean and the seats are harder.

Eyersey468

Established Member
We don't operate either Versas or Streetlites so I can't comment on what they are like to drive but a lot of people say Streetlites are awful vehicles.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I quite like Streetlites as a passenger, they look quite good (e.g. the curved roof inside) and ride reasonably well. However, due to the cheapness of UK bus operators in not speccing double glazing they do suffer the rattles and condensation (and therefore damp, musty smell that people refer to as "smelling of wee") that all other UK buses do.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Versa for me definitely. Absolutely loved driving them at my last company. Streetlite was ok but not so much.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Having been on a few Streetlites as a passenger.... the set up is all important so that you remove the jerky gear changes. Was on three around Worcester on local work last weekend and they absolutely fine in that respect, but I've experienced ones where the gear change is less assured and is up and down like a bride's nightie. One down side is that the First ones came with the eLeather seat that 6/7 years in have become nice and shiny so you slip all over. Where you're talking about replacing Darts, the Streetlite is perfectly fine but where it becomes a low cost replacement for heavyweight models (like B7 Eclipses) on interurban work, the lightweight nature is highlighted in ride quality. However, there is one area that is a design error and that is the emergency door handle mechanism that rattles and chatters.

As regards Versas, I've been on far fewer but they tend to be ok from a passenger POV.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
From a passenger point of view the optare versa is the best or preferred option. I have the choice of Versas to Leeds and Streelites to Bradford.

It's harder to compare across operators; First Bradford certainly don't look after their kit in the same way Transdev do.

In Newcastle, Go have Versas and Streetlites at the same depot. There's not much between them; they're both absolutely fine for urban work but struggle a little on the longer routes to Consett. But it's probably not a coincidence that Go have most recently ordered E200 MMCs.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Streetlite emergency door rattles...

How on earth did they carry on building such poor quality rubbish.

Versas seem so much better from the passenger's point of view.

Pat1105

Versa’s hands down the best. Nice and smooth and few rattles. Best ones are the ones with the Cummins ISBe, got lots of power in them and sound great! Interior is nice and spacious as well.
Streetlites are awful piles of sh*t. Terrible build quality as there are rattles everywhere. Gearboxes aren’t the best either as they can be quite jerky.

4REP

The seats on the versa are even more comfortable than an azuma or IEP! Or any northern train on my route between bingley and leeds/Bradford. I prefer travelling on a versa to leeds than the train even though it takes longer. The bus is more reliable than the train even in extreme weather. The buses are not even that overcrowded. Trains are regularly cancelled or delayed.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Streetlite emergency door rattles...

How on earth did they carry on building such poor quality rubbish.

Versas seem so much better from the passenger's point of view.

Things like the emergency door handle...you wonder why it wasn’t sorted. Lack of focus at Wrightbus?

Quite like the Transdev Versas in Lancashire. Nicely appointed

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Things like the emergency door handle...you wonder why it wasn’t sorted. Lack of focus at Wrightbus?

In general if you're a driver and you end up with a Streetlite it's a good idea to take a load of old bus timetable leaflets. I don't think there's a single Streetlite here that doesn't have one forced in between the panel cab over the destination display access door. Likewise most drivers jam one in the cab door to stop it rattling about too.

Versa's can be very rattly too, especially older ones. Albeit nowhere near as bad as a Streelite!

4REP

I like the outside light(side strip light half way towards back of the bus) they have on the outsides of the versas in Lancashire mainline. Noticeable in the dark. The light feature does not seem to be on airline or Dales way versas maybe others. Also some versas only have 2 sunroofs compared to some having 5 wonder why that is?

deanmachine

Surely these can't be bus drivers saying they'd prefer to drive and Optare Versa over a Streetlite? At least a human can actually fit in the cab of a Streetlite. Versas have awful steering, are really hard to place on the road due to the terrible placement of the seat in the cab, they have the worst suspension of any bus I've ever driven, smashing into anything higher on the ground then a small pebble. The only thing going for them is quite they're quite fast, if they're healthy, which they never are, because Optares. Not that Streetlites are that much better, but I can actually tolerate sitting in them for a shift.

Yeah, Versas are probably nicer from a passenger point of view, but I used to get Streetlites to work before I was a bus driver, and I never really thought they were that uncomfortable from a passenger point of view. Less rattles than the old Solars and SPDs and more comfortable seats than the Citaros that were previously on the route too.

Pat1105

Surely these can't be bus drivers saying they'd prefer to drive and Optare Versa over a Streetlite? At least a human can actually fit in the cab of a Streetlite. Versas have awful steering, are really hard to place on the road due to the terrible placement of the seat in the cab, they have the worst suspension of any bus I've ever driven, smashing into anything higher on the ground then a small pebble. The only thing going for them is quite they're quite fast, if they're healthy, which they never are, because Optares. Not that Streetlites are that much better, but I can actually tolerate sitting in them for a shift.

Yeah, Versas are probably nicer from a passenger point of view, but I used to get Streetlites to work before I was a bus driver, and I never really thought they were that uncomfortable from a passenger point of view. Less rattles than the old Solars and SPDs and more comfortable seats than the Citaros that were previously on the route too.

You obviously haven’t driven an E200 then? The suspension on those is none existent and break your back going over anything.

deanmachine

You obviously haven’t driven an E200 then? The suspension on those is none existent and break your back going over anything.

I actually haven't, been a passenger plenty of times, but not driven. I've never encountered an E200 bottoming out on the road before like a Versa or Solo does.

Pat1105

I actually haven't, been a passenger plenty of times, but not driven. I've never encountered an E200 bottoming out on the road before like a Versa or Solo does.
The roads round my area are atrocious. Potholes galore! My route has both solo’s and E200’s on it and I must say that I’d choose a solo all the way. They ride out potholes much better than an E200 does and you don’t feel going over them as much as as you would in an E200. At a guess, I’d say this is probably something to do with the wheel positioning on a solo as it gives it more stability?

deanmachine

The roads round my area are atrocious. Potholes galore! My route has both solo’s and E200’s on it and I must say that I’d choose a solo all the way. They ride out potholes much better than an E200 does and you don’t feel going over them as much as as you would in an E200. At a guess, I’d say this is probably something to do with the wheel positioning on a solo as it gives it more stability?

A Solo is definitely more softly sprung than an E200 or Streetlite, that's why I feel they bottom out a lot more. There's a particular corner that I can only feel like I can take at 25mph in a Solo, that can easily be taken at 30mph in a Streetlite/Citaro/Volvo Double Deck, just because the amount of body lean makes it feel much faster than it actually is. I'm sure it's probably better overall for passenger comfort but a little frustrating as a driver wanting to go as fast as possible without causing passenger discomfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.