• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ordinary passengers using heritage railways as public transport.

jrail1992

Didn't the Ratty in the past have a regular school contract?
We did indeed have a schools train but it's not run for a long time.
At the R&ER we do get people who work or live along Eskdale using the train from time to time. Also as mentioned in other comments we get backpackers & campers off the mainline, usually going Ravenglass - Irton Road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainlog

I dont think the 101 has got closer to the RHDR than Rye station for about 5 years.
The bus does follow the route along quite well from Dungeness all the way to Hythe. Used it back last January and it's a good way of getting to the RHDR if the walk from Sandling station isn't ideal in bad weather.

On this thread, I have heard that in peak summer conditions, some people use the Vale of Rhiedol railway as a form of public transport.

paul1609

Established Member
The bus does follow the route along quite well from Dungeness all the way to Hythe. Used it back last January and it's a good way of getting to the RHDR if the walk from Sandling station isn't ideal in bad weather.

On this thread, I have heard that in peak summer conditions, some people use the Vale of Rhiedol railway as a form of public transport.
Since the last Great kent Bus Cuts theres one service per hour from the Pilot Inn Dungeness to Dover via Hythe per hour and one main coast bus per hour that from Dover goes to Lydd along New Romney high Street direct to Lydd Camp where it exchanges refugees wishing to travel to Sussex with a 100 bus which has come from Hastings. Both the Dover to Pilot Inn and Lydd Camp are service 102

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I've seen a few people with shopping bags get on the Isle of Man Steam Railway and Manx Electric Railway take out magazines and start reading them as soon as they get on board.
Whether those two are or aren’t heritage is an interesting question but can confirm that, growing up in Port Erin, this was quite common. (Especially when it was only a bit more expensive than the bus)

Fondly remember, indeed, listening to a copy “Hybrid Theory” on a Discman behind no 15 on the way back from Douglas one time, staring angstily out of the window in a way only prepubescent emos can

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Does the Hythe Pier railway count? Used by many people for commuting or shopping trips to Southampton via the ferry. They had a lucky escape when a dredger rammed the pier one evening in 2003 just after a train full of football fans returning from a Southamapton match had passed. The line was constructed in 1922 using second-hand locomotives converted from battery to third rail operation, and arranged for push-pull working.
hythe-pier-railway-2.jpg

Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
I've used the RHDR to get to a holiday let at Dungeness (the old coastguard station).
I've used the EVR to get to Wirksworth to access the High Peak trail at Black Rocks, and on another occasion for a walk to Carsington Water and back.

etr221

It is the offer of their services to 'ordinary' passengers, as a public transport service, that enables many/most preserved railway fares to be zero rated for VAT.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Didn't the West Somerset Railway get into a dispute with the bus driver's union some decades ago over their plans to operate regularly into Taunton? The bus drivers (who because of some quirk were in the National Union of Railwaymen) argued that it would abstract passengers and put their jobs at risk.
Well... when we had a family holiday at Butlin's at Minehead a few years ago ( Butlin's is not my choice of a holiday!! ) we used the train to Taunton then a taxi to Bishop's Lydeard and then the West Somerset to Minehead - and the same process in reverse on the way back...

WAB

The Ffestiniog always had a few members or medallion holders who used the railway for travel - must've worked out cheaper and more salubrious than the Crossville bus. These days, the buses are swanky electric buses with Wifi and phone charging ports, rather than the rather basic buses of old.

Strangely, the parallel bus service is better now than it was - buses leave Porthmadog for Blaenau Ffestiniog hourly between 0540 and 2210 Mondays to Saturdays, starting earlier and finishing later. On Sundays, first buses are now around 0800 but used to be as late 1400! I don't think the Ffestiniog is as much competition these days.

Of course on Sundays, there used to be the added bonus of the buffet car which could sell alcohol which was banned across the area on Sundays until not that long ago :lol:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I wonder if some use the Welsh Highland Railway to walk up Snowdon? I doubt it's many though as the Ranger path is one of the least popular (and fairly boring) and their railtour style approach to timetables doesn't fit well with it.
The Rhyd Ddu path is accessible from the WHR and a more interesting walk - we’ve done that.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are local rail journey flows, mostly holiday makers, on the WSR eg
at Blue Anchor, Watchet and Doniford to and from mainly Minehead.
When I use to go to the Status Quo Fan Club convention, I'd love to have gone their my train but I needed to arrive on a Friday and depart on a Monday and on one or both of those days, there was no service, so it never happened.

I have travelled back from Bunkfest using the heritage service from Wallingford to Choseley. Then after a long wait, due to the police dealing with an incident closer to London, it was a train to Reading, then one to Basingstoke. After that one to Woking and finally one to Guildford.

DelW

Established Member
I've seen a few people with shopping bags get on the Isle of Man Steam Railway and Manx Electric Railway take out magazines and start reading them as soon as they get on board.
Several times I've used the Isle of Man Steam line to travel between the airport and Douglas. I have to admit it's not as convenient or frequent as the bus, but I just like the concept of a steam powered airport connection.

Didn't the West Somerset Railway get into a dispute with the bus driver's union some decades ago over their plans to operate regularly into Taunton? The bus drivers (who because of some quirk were in the National Union of Railwaymen) argued that it would abstract passengers and put their jobs at risk.
IIRC that was in the very early days of the West Somerset (mid '70s) when there was an aspiration to run an all day DMU service. The bus drivers in question had been recruited from railway staff who had been made redundant when the line was closed.

Taunton

Established Member
Yes, it was a long-running event. I believe there were several places around the country like Taunton where the busmen were members of the NUR, which all went back, of course, to when the buses were once run by the Great Western Railway (the proper one). The union branch was Taunton but the actual issue was their smaller depot at Minehead, which like many in comparable places hung on by a thread, and the only worthwhile route it had was of course the one to Taunton, paralleling the WSR. The preservationists didn't help themselves by continuing to emphasise how a reopening through to Taunton was going to be a local transport resource, with all-year dmus, as well as a steam railway tourist attraction. The extension was dependent on running onto the BR route from Norton Fitzwarren into Taunton, about 2 miles, in various iterations on the main line tracks, alongside these where the Up Relief used to be, unfenced, or fenced.

Titfield

Established Member

Some of the Shamrock and Rambler (part of National Travel SW and then Hants and Dorset) drivers at Bournemouth in the 1970s and 1980s were in the NUR.

Bedpan

Established Member
The only times I've ever used one as public transport were to travel from Haworth (where we were staying for a few days) to Saltaire via Keighley to look round the village and Salts Mill, and maybe a couple of times in the 70s when we viisited Dartmouth on the back of a Merrymaker day trip to Paignton. I suppose that there has also been the add on of a walk round Bridgnorth for an hour when visiting the SVR, but I wouldn't include that as the prime reason for travelling has always been to visit the railway.

Established Member
RHDR gets used as public transport by tourists at the caravan parks. The summer timetable is almost as good as 101 THE WAVE

It does, albeit I’m not sure it can really be termed a heritage railway, as it operates now in largely the same way as it has always done since it was built in the 1920s.

AM9

Veteran Member
The only times I've ever used one as public transport were to travel from Haworth (where we were staying for a few days) to Saltaire via Keighley to look round the village and Salts Mill, and maybe a couple of times in the 70s when we viisited Dartmouth on the back of a Merrymaker day trip to Paignton. I suppose that there has also been the add on of a walk round Bridgnorth for an hour when visiting the SVR, but I wouldn't include that as the prime reason for travelling has always been to visit the railway.

I actually used the Dartmouth Steam Railway from Paington to Kingswear when travelling to Dartmouth for a holiday. It was in 1973 when the line had just opened as the 'Torbay Steam Railway', - an adjunct to the original Dart Valley Railway, (now known as the South Devon Railway). During the stay there, Flying Scotsman (in its apple green '4472' livery) was visiting. That was a real treat for the kids as well.

Last edited:

DJ_K666

The Bluebell used to. I've no idea if they still do. Especially handy if you live in Horsted Keynes even if the station is 2 miles from the village and the 270 bus is....shall we say... patchy.

Great pub in the village though, The Green Man. Fantastic food, although the Sloop Inn at Freshfield* is great for Real Ales.

* I'm fairly sure the 'Local' ticket (for local people) is also available if you live in Freshfield too.

Veteran Member
My own second journey on the KWVR back in 1970 was en route from South London to Haworth - the minibus picking our group up at Keighley was overloaded, so a few of us were asked if we would take the train :).
And I can confirm inky Scrolls' point upthread - there were at least half a dozen passengers from Oxenhope/Haworth on Saturday with singles to Keighley and intending to connect to NR.

Taunton

Established Member
The Ravenglass & Eskdale, whose timetable appeared in the BR national one in the 1970s-80s, had what looks pretty definitely a works service (the day seems too long for a school train), down the valley in the morning, arrive 0820, back up in the evening, depart 1640, which was shown to run all year. Presumably they had stock with heating and lighting. Here:

Attachments

• R&ER.JPG
    R&ER.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 47

Belperpete

Established Member
In the early days when the WHR only ran between Dinas and Caernarfon, so ran a more frequent service than now, it was not unusual to get a few locals travelling from Dinas and Bontnewydd to Caernarfon for shopping. The stock moves at start and end of day were advertised, and also often had a local or two.

The FR regularly carried locals from Penrhyndeudraeth to Port for shopping - it is a long and steep walk up the hill from lower Penrhyn where the bus stop is.

trebor79

Established Member
Didn't the Ratty in the past have a regular school contract?
It did.
The Ravenglass & Eskdale, whose timetable appeared in the BR national one in the 1970s-80s, had what looks pretty definitely a works service (the day seems too long for a school train), down the valley in the morning, arrive 0820, back up in the evening, depart 1640, which was shown to run all year. Presumably they had stock with heating and lighting. Here:
I believe they had a DMU built, partly for this reason. Seem to remember is was named "Shelagh of Eskdale". No idea if it's still on the railway, but I can recall seeing it parked up in the station when we travelled on the railway (a looong time again now).

D6130

Established Member
It did.

I believe they had a DMU built, partly for this reason. Seem to remember is was named "Shelagh of Eskdale". No idea if it's still on the railway, but I can recall seeing it parked up in the station when we travelled on the railway (a looong time again now).
IIRC, 'Sheelagh of Eskdale' was a diesel loco rather than a DMU.

stuu

Established Member
It did.

I remember seeing it at the Liverpool garden festival as a child and being very jealous it was used for school transport

Forty29

On a related note, at Kidderminster we regularly get people thinking the SVR station is the mainline one. Not so often now after the rebuild of the mainline one making it a bigger and more obvious, but it still happens.
Yes saw what looked like a student with a suitcase wandering around the SVR station looking lost if l could help, asked me when is the next train to Birmingham. Directed her to the mainline station.

andythebrave

I have a rather hazy memory of getting home to my rented house in Oakworth with some colleagues from work in Bradford one evening by taking a train to Keighley and taking a ride up the valley behind double headed Deltics in the dark.
It would have been in late 1988 or early 1989.
It cost a bit but we thought 'why not?'.