• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orient Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Watched part of the hour long prog on ITV HD last night, that was style and qtr mile in length, Innsbruck station looked the same when I was there in the late 60s, 67 diesel then SNCF/DB/OBB/RFI elecs etc , only hitch at the I Ii border, when the booked RFI failed to turn up, but a dank grey replacement loco was found,within an hour.

M

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Watched part of the hour long prog on ITV HD last night, that was style and qtr mile in length, Innsbruck station looked the same when I was there in the late 60s, 67 diesel then SNCF/DB/OBB/RFI elecs etc , only hitch at the I Ii border, when the booked RFI failed to turn up, but a dank grey replacement loco was found,within an hour.

M

I caught bits of it...

Is it the same stock that goes the whole way and if so, what's the cross-channel process?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It was Brighton Belle stock to Folkestone West.....then the "true" VSOE from Calais-Ville.

Wonderful programme.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Quite surprised that OBB appeared to let him drive the locomotive for the Austrian leg.

Appeared is correct, it probably would have been a cutaway,driving a loco only,Austrian tourist board would have had an involvement. To make it look real he was supposed to be in the cab looking back through the cab side window as the train snaked around a bend, must have been 20 plus carriages, hell of a length
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The true Orient Express last ran on Saturday 12th December 2009, I was on it the day before

some of these programmes are shown up to a couple of years after the filming.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Appeared is correct, it probably would have been a cutaway,driving a loco only,Austrian tourist board would have had an involvement. To make it look real he was supposed to be in the cab looking back through the cab side window as the train snaked around a bend, must have been 20 plus carriages, hell of a length

some of these programmes are shown up to a couple of years after the filming.

Nope - The VSOE is separate from the Orient Express which was a service train. Think Flying Scotsman when referring to the 10:00 from Kings Cross

Dennis

Established Member
Watched the programme last night - ended up more educational than expected.

There was a reference to James(?) Sherwood buying up some of the carriages when the train finished running in the late seventies IIRC - presumably this was the same bloke who was in charge of GNER?

Also, doesn't Venice look bit of a dump.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Most of Italy is actually a dump - did you notice all the locomotives used were in sparkling condition except the Trenitalia loco which had graffiti on the front??

Rome is a shame - I went last year and there was rubbish and graffiti in the Forum and all over the Palatine. Great shame.
Watched the programme last night - ended up more educational than expected.

There was a reference to James(?) Sherwood buying up some of the carriages when the train finished running in the late seventies IIRC - presumably this was the same bloke who was in charge of GNER?

Yes, the same man. Wikipedia assures his wife is "Shirley Sherwood"....:lol:

(apologies for double post, can't seem to edit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.