• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ORR unveils station usage data between April 2022 and March 2023

Killingworth

Established Member
Or going Dore - Sheffield - Doncaster/Retford - Kings Cross which can sometimes be cheaper than using the EMR to St Pancras (and excluding engineering works closing the Midland Main Line).

As for Dore - Sheffield being a lot lower than to Manchester, maybe shows that a certain percentage of passengers will get a promise to pay from the TVM and board at the front of the train knowing it is unlikely the guard will get round to sell a ticket in the short journey time.

Certainly a lot on Northern Hope Valley stoppers did avoid payment in the past but enforcement is increasingly effective, made easier as more are using electronic methods of payment. It's much quicker for guards to check the whole train and users can't count on escaping as they did in years gone by. The Dore TVM is now used infrequently.

Although the option via Doncaster is used by a small number (e.g. 8.04 TPE from Dore, single change at Donny) I doubt many would normally consider a double change at both Sheffield and Doncaster/Retford.

The relative numbers in the data tally with very easily observed activity on the platform.
Kite159:
Or maybe use the bus if it's more frequent than the hourly train?
A lot less reliable on a 97/98 bus due every 15 minutes during the core part of the day for a journey timed to take 30-35 minutes against 7 minutes on the hourly train. Bus wins on frequency and convenience of more stops. Loses to cars because buses can fail to appear for half an hour or more.

There are 3 trains an hour in the core 2 hour commuting period to/from Manchester - but this is a topic for another thread.
telstarbox: From Dore to Sheffield a lot of people would drive, particularly if they're going to employers along the Don Valley rather to the city centre.

Very true. I used to use the car almost every day even though TPE run between Dore and Meadowhall every hour taking only 13 minutes. By car I needed to allow 30 minutes minimum, at rush hour rather more. Time taken to get from home to Dore then from Meadowhall to work and an hourly service that doesn't even stop at Dore most hours killed that option stone dead! I jogged in more often than taking the train - and used tram/bus back, usually taking over an hour.

Suffice to say these statistics are a very useful source of information but they need to be used with care and local explanations.

That makes sense. I'm sure that, if you add together all modes, there would be many times as many Dore-Sheffield-somewhere-vaguely-central journeys as Dore-Manchester journeys. But for Dore-Sheffield there are much more attractive options, and the relatively low rail frequency is much more of a deterrent for short journeys.

An interesting comparison could be what happens once the Manchester-Sheffield rail upgrade is complete and Dore therefore starts to get a more frequent/more reliable service. My guess is that numbers of Dore-Sheffield rail journeys will go up much more dramatically than numbers of Dore-Manchester journeys.

That's at least a couple of $64,000 questions! Wait until we see what happens in 2025-6.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In a rather unexpected move, the ORR have released 3 years of historical Origin Destination Matrix data. This means there is now a continuous run of data from April 2018 - March 2022 (with the period April 2022 - March 2023 due out some time in February.)

It is available in the usual places:
www.raildata.org.uk - for those who subscribe to the Rail Data market place
www.railwaydata.co.uk/odm/gbr - for a basic search tool (including a year-by-year comparison)

DDB

Wow. I'm hoping some kind person will transform it into a more manageable form like has been done for the first data set. I expect it to be fascinating!

hwl

Established Member
In a rather unexpected move, the ORR have released 3 years of historical Origin Destination Matrix data. This means there is now a continuous run of data from April 2018 - March 2022 (with the period April 2022 - March 2023 due out some time in February.)

www.railwaydata.co.uk/odm/gbr - for a basic search tool (including a year-by-year comparison)
Only 5.5 days before anyone noticed and commented...

2022-2023 ODM should be released on 22nd Feb.

LucyP

On Moderation
The Train companies AKA the government should look at the data. 55,000 people travelled from Harrogate to Kings Cross. 400 from Bradford Forster Square to Kings Cross. Why do LNER bother with dedicated trains for 400 people in a year?

g22

You can see the effect of Split Tickets becoming more mainstream on certain flows between the data for 2018-19 and 2021-22.

nr758123

The Train companies AKA the government should look at the data. 55,000 people travelled from Harrogate to Kings Cross. 400 from Bradford Forster Square to Kings Cross. Why do LNER bother with dedicated trains for 400 people in a year?
That could be about allocation of passengers between different stations within the same group. The data shows 36,500 passengers between Bradford Interchange and London Kings Cross. It seems surprising that there should be so many fewer journeys allocated to the fastest though service between Bradford and London.

I also looked up Mossley to London, and it showed 486 journeys to Kings Cross and just 3 to Euston, which is just silly.

Kite159

Veteran Member
That could be about allocation of passengers between different stations within the same group. The data shows 36,500 passengers between Bradford Interchange and London Kings Cross. It seems surprising that there should be so many fewer journeys allocated to the fastest though service between Bradford and London.

I also looked up Mossley to London, and it showed 486 journeys to Kings Cross and just 3 to Euston, which is just silly.
Fastest service but generally a lot more expensive than the slower Grand Central service.

hwl

Established Member
You are assuming the data is accurate and reflective of the really works which is a big "if" in reality...

It reflects an interpretation of ticketing data not users with no account for split ticketing

Outside TfL land there are quite a few dubious processing assumptions between raw data and outputs.
Unless the number feel right it is best to assume they might not match reality.

BrianB

Great stuff.
On another note, please check your message inbox

Acfb

Another I thing I wanted to mention is I'm surprised Carstairs has such low usage, similar sort of service level to Reston in 2022/23 and the same no. of passengers (although slumped post covid) but seems a bit harder to explain. Also has 7000+ interchanges, is that just people off the sleeper/morning TPE service?

I would have thought it would be quite useful as a railhead for Lanark passengers going to Edinburgh (or even from around Carnwath/Biggar) but it doesn't seem to be.

It also has a well timed Scotrail service at 7.49 in the morning to Edinburgh which calls at Curriehill.

Last edited:

dcsprior

None of the Borders line stations have recovered to the level of the first full year after opening (2016/17) with the exception of Shawfair, which with 44362 entries and exits is double what it had in 2016/17. However it is still the least used station on the line.
A lot of the new housebuilding around Shawfair isn't really walking distance to the station and much of that which would be walkable is made harder by poor footpaths. Once the development closer to the station happens, and footpaths improve, I'd expect to see usage increase significantly.

paul1609

Established Member
Another I thing I wanted to mention is I'm surprised Carstairs has such low usage, similar sort of service level to Reston in 2022/23 and the same no. of passengers (although slumped post covid) but seems a bit harder to explain. Also has 7000+ interchanges, is that just people off the sleeper/morning TPE service?

I would have thought it would be quite useful as a railhead for Lanark passengers going to Edinburgh (or even from around Carnwath/Biggar) but it doesn't seem to be.

It also has a well timed Scotrail service at 7.49 in the morning to Edinburgh which calls at Curriehill.
Lanark only has a population of 9k, I imagine the number of people regularly travelling 33 miles to Edinburgh via Carstairs (5 1/2 miles from the centre of the metropolis) when you have a 2 tph peak sevice to Glasgow is pretty small.

Acfb

Interesting stuff & thank you. Looks like it was not expected to be that heavily used then.

At 14,558 my local BRUNDALL GARDENS saw its highest usage than at anytime I recall since I moved here over 20yrs ago.
I'm on the Berwick TPE service right now (thanks to the £1 deal) and several people actually got on at Reston to go to Berwick which surprised me. There were also about a dozen cars in the car park.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm on the Berwick TPE service right now (thanks to the £1 deal) and several people actually got on at Reston to go to Berwick which surprised me. There were also about a dozen cars in the car park.

Onwards and upwards 8-)

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Was on the Newcastle-Edinburgh TPE service yesterday and was surprised by how many people used it.

Latest statistical release
Regional rail usage, April 2022 to March 2023
Regional rail usage, April 2022 to March 2023
Date published: 22 Feb 2024
Date next published: TBC

Key results
The 863 million journeys made within regions in the latest year were equivalent to 84% of the 1,022 million journeys made three years prior, before the pandemic. The 366 million journeys made between regions in the latest year were equivalent to 76% of the 482 million journeys made three years prior.
Following the release of the ODM (the source data) on the Rail Data Marketplace, data are now presented at lower level disaggregation to show flows between local authorities, in addition to regions and countries.
London had the highest number of journeys across the regions (50% of regional journeys), followed by the South East (14% of regional journeys). The busiest flow was between the City of London and Essex local authorities, with 22.8 million journeys. The busiest station flow between these local authorities was London Liverpool Street and Stansted Airport.

Journeys within Yorkshire are interestingly high, roughly the same as Wales and the South West combined. This is thanks to the high density of West Yorkshire, as well as big centers such as Sheffield and Interchange points like York and Doncaster.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
Was on the Newcastle-Edinburgh TPE service yesterday and was surprised by how many people used it.

Journeys within Yorkshire are interestingly high, roughly the same as Wales and the South West combined. This is thanks to the high density of West Yorkshire, as well as big centers such as Sheffield and Interchange points like York and Doncaster.

I'm not sure if it's something I missed before, however there's now a dataset for local authorities; Table 1595:

I've not had chance to explore it, however it could throw up some interesting stuff.