• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Other Sports....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Can't believe how bad the crowd was this afternoon, people moving around whilst shots we're being played & rustling of paper as Mark Williams was in the middle of a shot.
there has been quite a bit tonight also - poor show.

PS - the number of coughers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

The interesting parts of the results so far is the amount of seeds that have gone out in the first round this year. Shows a high quality of the qualifiers this year.

45 days after the St Petersburg INDYCAR race the Penske cars of Josef Newgarden & Scott McLaughlin have been disqualified after illegally using Push to Pass on restarts & the start of the race. Will Power has had 10 points deducted for the same reason. This has resulted in Arrow McLaren’s Pato O’Ward being declared the winner & means that Scott Dixon now lead the series with Newgarden dropping from first to 14th in standings.

Kawasaki has announced it will pull out of the World Superbike Championship at the end of this season. Most of the team running it will run a new team called BIMOTA racing by Kawasaki which will use a BIMOTA frame & a Kawasaki engine.

Last edited:

Pakenhamtrain

It's ANZAC round in the AFL.

The Wendesday night ANZAC eve game between saw the relative new tradition of Richmond and Melbourne battle it out in front of 72,840 fans at the MCG. Melbourne did eventually run away 43 point victors. Melbourne Ruckman Max Gawn was the Frank 'Checker' Hughes medalist for best on ground for his 23 disposals, 26 hitouts and 1 goal.

FULL TIME
RICH 5.12 (42) def by MELB 13.7 (85)

GOALS
Richmond: M.Rioli jnr 2, Lefau, Martin, Bolton,
Melbourne: Turner 3, Fritsch 2, Pickett 2, Laurie 2, van Rooyen, Gawn, Windsor, Petracca

BEST
Richmond: Lefau, Broad, Dow, Hopper, Baker
Melbourne: Lever, Gawn, Oliver, Turner, May

In the traditional ANZAC day game between Essendon and Collingwood neither side could be split the result being a draw. Essendon came out of the blocks early in the first quarter but Collingwood pegged them back in the second and the game remained a tight contest. Essendons Kyle Langford had the chance to kick the winning goal late however he missed for only a behind. Zac Merrett was judged by the panel to be the ANZAC medalist with 11 votes.

FULL TIME
ESS 12.13 (85) Draws with COLL 12.13 (85)

GOALS
Essendon: Langford 4, Wright 2, Stringer, Jones, Parish, Draper, A. Davey, Martin
Collingwood: Mihocek 3, Elliott 2, Hoskin-Elliott, N. Daicos, Lipinski, Schultz, J. Daicos, Harrison, McCreery

BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Parish, Langford, Martin, Stringer, McGrath
Collingwood: N. Daicos, Pendlebury, Moore, Mihocek, Noble, J. Daicos

ANZAC day also saw another game with the Greater Western Sydney Giants taking on Brisbane in the nations capital. This game didn't live up to any great hype with GWS defeating the 2023 grand finalist by 54 points.

FULL TIME

GWS 17.11 (113) def BL 8.11 (59)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney: Brown 3, Riccardi 3, Jones 2, Perryman 2, Thomas 2, Cadman, Green, Hogan, Kelly, O'Halloran
Brisbane: Cameron 2, Rayner 2, Fletcher, Fort, Lohmann, McCarthy

dangie

Established Member
It's ANZAC round in the AFL.

The Wendesday night ANZAC eve game between saw the relative new tradition of Richmond and Melbourne battle it out in front of 72,840 fans at the MCG. Melbourne did eventually run away 43 point victors. Melbourne Ruckman Max Gawn was the Frank 'Checker' Hughes medalist for best on ground for his 23 disposals, 26 hitouts and 1 goal.

FULL TIME
RICH 5.12 (42) def by MELB 13.7 (85)

GOALS
Richmond: M.Rioli jnr 2, Lefau, Martin, Bolton,
Melbourne: Turner 3, Fritsch 2, Pickett 2, Laurie 2, van Rooyen, Gawn, Windsor, Petracca

BEST
Richmond: Lefau, Broad, Dow, Hopper, Baker
Melbourne: Lever, Gawn, Oliver, Turner, May

In the traditional ANZAC day game between Essendon and Collingwood neither side could be split the result being a draw. Essendon came out of the blocks early in the first quarter but Collingwood pegged them back in the second and the game remained a tight contest. Essendons Kyle Langford had the chance to kick the winning goal late however he missed for only a behind. Zac Merrett was judged by the panel to be the ANZAC medalist with 11 votes.

FULL TIME
ESS 12.13 (85) Draws with COLL 12.13 (85)

GOALS
Essendon: Langford 4, Wright 2, Stringer, Jones, Parish, Draper, A. Davey, Martin
Collingwood: Mihocek 3, Elliott 2, Hoskin-Elliott, N. Daicos, Lipinski, Schultz, J. Daicos, Harrison, McCreery

BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Parish, Langford, Martin, Stringer, McGrath
Collingwood: N. Daicos, Pendlebury, Moore, Mihocek, Noble, J. Daicos

ANZAC day also saw another game with the Greater Western Sydney Giants taking on Brisbane in the nations capital. This game didn't live up to any great hype with GWS defeating the 2023 grand finalist by 54 points.

FULL TIME

GWS 17.11 (113) def BL 8.11 (59)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney: Brown 3, Riccardi 3, Jones 2, Perryman 2, Thomas 2, Cadman, Green, Hogan, Kelly, O'Halloran
Brisbane: Cameron 2, Rayner 2, Fletcher, Fort, Lohmann, McCarthy
Sorry Pakenhamtrain, but what sport this is?

The only Australian sport I’ve heard of is Dwarf Tossing :D

dangie

Established Member
Coughing at the snooker had tailed off, post-pandemic. It must be creeping back in.
I don’t know if this is correct or not, but does the coughing sound worse on television due to the positioning and sensitivity of the microphones, than what it actually does in the arena?

I ask because friends of mine often go to see the tennis at Wimbledon and they’ve said that the sound of players ‘grunting’ is much less when you’re there than when you watch it on television.

I don’t know if this is correct or not, but does the coughing sound worse on television due to the positioning and sensitivity of the microphones, than what it actually does in the arena?

I ask because friends of mine often go to see the tennis at Wimbledon and they’ve said that the sound of players ‘grunting’ is much less when you’re there than when you watch it on television.

I never thought of that actually. I've never been to a live snooker event but did play on the national 9 ball pool tour for a couple of years. With sixteen tables in simultaneous play the bigger distraction was movement from either spectators or players on adjacent tables.

dangie

Established Member
…..The Snooker World Championship has started today at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield...
For the Snooker aficionados, what are your thoughts on the World Championship’s moving away from the Crucible Theatre after the current contract expires in 2027? The ‘big money’ appears to suggest them moving to China or Saudi Arabia. Will it still keep the same appeal to the masses who may only watch Snooker once per year?

I totally appreciate that televised Snooker could come from anywhere, but the intimacy of the Crucible adds to the television experience. Will those once per year viewers simply not bother watching?

JD2168

For the Snooker aficionados, what are your thoughts on the World Championship’s moving away from the Crucible Theatre after the current contract expires in 2027? The ‘big money’ appears to suggest them moving to China or Saudi Arabia. Will it still keep the same appeal to the masses who may only watch Snooker once per year?

I totally appreciate that televised Snooker could come from anywhere, but the intimacy of the Crucible adds to the television experience. Will those once per year viewers simply not bother watching?

With myself being from Sheffield I would love it to stay here but apart from the Arena there aren’t any other venues within Sheffield. With Sheffield Council I can’t see them building a larger Crucible.

If it goes abroad then BBC will probably drop snooker with it only being on Eurosport so you get poor viewing numbers & visibility to a random watcher.

dangie

Established Member
…If it goes abroad then BBC will probably drop snooker with it only being on Eurosport so you get poor viewing numbers & visibility to a random watcher.
This is my thoughts also. I’d guess costs for television rights would increase dramatically so BBC will either drop snooker altogether or just show highlights.

75A

Established Member
When you say intimacy do you mean all the coughing etc of the crowd, really annoys me, are the people in Sheffield really that unhealthy?

dangie

Established Member
When you say intimacy do you mean all the coughing etc of the crowd, really annoys me, are the people in Sheffield really that unhealthy?
If you look back at Post 66 I’m not sure the coughing sounds are as loud when you’re there as what it sounds on television. I think the problem is how the BBC places their microphones. If they wished they could cut out much of the audience noise.

As regards to the health issue, it can‘t be any worse than being on a crowded train for example.

Howardh

Established Member

I agree that it would be likely to go overseas, and somewhere with a significant time difference so millions watching the Final on Bank Holiday Monday will be a thing of the past. If it were to move from Sheffield, and stay fairly "local" then in Manchester we have the new Co-op Arena plus plenty of others which could host the fortnight event + plenty of hotels etc. But personally I think the championship should be played in London (Wembley) and move the current tournament there away.

dangie

Established Member
I agree that it would be likely to go overseas, and somewhere with a significant time difference so millions watching the Final on Bank Holiday Monday will be a thing of the past. If it were to move from Sheffield, and stay fairly "local" then in Manchester we have the new Co-op Arena plus plenty of others which could host the fortnight event + plenty of hotels etc. But personally I think the championship should be played in London (Wembley) and move the current tournament there away.
Money will do the talking.

JD2168

Given the much publicised problems at the Co-op Arena with Peter Kay shows being cancelled it needs to demonstrate it can hold smaller events before going for larger stuff.

Francesco Bagnaia has won the Spanish MotoGP with Marc Marquez in second & Marco Bezecchi in third. Championship leader Jorge Martin crashed out early on.

In a mad sprint race Martin won after 15 riders crashed in the 12 lap race mainly due to weepers on the track caused by rain earlier in the day.

An unusual incident happened during yesterday’s INDYCAR race at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. On lap 52 of 90 a Mannequin fell from a bridge onto the grass next to the track. It was hanged from the bridge by eccentric track owner George Barber in 2016 as part of his art collection at the track. The Mannequin which was named Georgina was later seen sat next to race winner Scott McLaughlin with a hand missing.

David Malukas has lost his INDYCAR drive with Arrow McLaren. He never raced for the team having suffered a hand injury in pre season when out cycling.

Last edited:

75A

Established Member
The snooker reached a new low this afternoon, along with all the coughing, we had a mobile phone start ringing just as Stuart Bingham was about to strike the ball. What is it with these people?

dangie

Established Member
The snooker reached a new low this afternoon, along with all the coughing, we had a mobile phone start ringing just as Stuart Bingham was about to strike the ball. What is it with these people?
I was at a funeral last week and despite a large sign on entering the crematorium saying switch mobile phones off, one still went off.

75A

Established Member
Incredible, what's wrong with these people?

At least I wont have to endure any more of the noises. Stuart Bingham has just beaten Ronnie O'Sullivan 13 - 10 in the quarter finals so I shan't be watching anymore of this tournament

Last edited: