• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out of curiosity, which TOCs enable you to buy tickets online without having to register for an account? Chiltern, Grand Central?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trenopendo

I am well aware of the advantages (and disadvantages!) of creating an account vs. checking out as a guest. I do believe that TOCs should not force you to create an account in order to buy a ticket, but maybe I'm in the minority here.

*Chiltern appears to allow checkout guest AND offers free postage (1st class).
*Grand Central, checkout guest but no free postage
*Any other TOCs you know of?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

Govia Thameslink Railway (Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and Gatwick Express), Southeastern, CrossCountry and Northern also allow you to buy tickets without an account.
Gatwick Express only sells tickets for travel on their own services - every itinerary will include at least one leg on a Gatwick Express service.
CrossCountry and Northern offer 2nd class postage for £1.20, Southeastern offers 1st class postage for £1.50 and GTR offer 1st class postage for £2.50.

CrossCountry will however charge you £1 for collecting a ticket where eTickets are available, and Northern will sell mTickets but not eTickets, so I'd probably avoid both if I were you (or just Northern if you always prefer eTickets anyway).

Welshman

Established Member
Not a TOC as such, but Trainscanbecheaper does not require you to set-up an account - indeed it has no facility to do so.

Alex365Dash

Not a TOC as such, but Trainscanbecheaper does not require you to set-up an account - indeed it has no facility to do so.
Whilst you don't need one, you can optionally sign up for an account on TrainSplit (or Trains Can Be Cheaper) by clicking the Login button on the top menu (or Account on the new TrainSplit UI).

BenS123

Crosscountry also charges a £10 refund admin fee for any anytime/offpeak/super offpeak refund (even if submitted way before the day of travel) as I learned the hard way!

trenopendo

Thanks!

It seems Chiltern is the only one still offering free postage? I know Grand Central used to offer this (pre-COVID), but now they charge for this. Other TOCs offer free postage but only if the value of tickets is above a certain amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.